Menu

Long term violin storage

Loosen the strings a bit ( not so much that the soundpost falls.) If it's really good, you might want to keep it in a room with a humidifier/dehumidifier and relatively stable temp.

However, my grandfather didn't really like his and kept it in the bathroom closet for about 70 years, til my sister pulled it to play. A few new strings, a new bow, and it worked fine. It's still the best sounding instrument in the house (we have 4 or 5 in various sizes.)

Mine sat around in its case, without even loosening the strings for 30 years and was fine when the dc started playing and I wanted to play with them.

Neithr of these were particularly "good" instruments.

The horsehair on the bow needs to be loosened, or it will all fall out of the bow. I would also loosen the strings. In addition, I would put something in the case to keep it damp. Something easy is to take a film canister and poke holes in the top. Then, put a wet cotton ball in the canister. Close the canister and put in the case. If you don't have any film canisters, they sell similar items at the Container Store. They also sell stuff that is for this purpose, but I've never purchased one.

This is from my very limited experience. Generally, I do the wrong thing and don't prep the violin at all. :(

I have a violin which I haven't really played in two years. I probably won;t play it again for quite some time (especially since I just purchased a guitar). I am not ready to sell it, though. Does anybody know the best way to store a violin long term? Thanks!

In the "music room" of our home where all of our other instruments are displayed (baby grand, viola, cello, another violin....). :001_smile: