Menu

Easy Grammar Daily Grams

Wildwood

After teaching another grammar (Shurley) curriculum at a different school, my new school using Easy Grammar.  I absolutely despise it.  I feel like it is structured really poorly.  For example, the helping verbs are in the preposition section and also again in the verb section. My students are lost, and I am using a lot of Shurley to teach grammar. These students have been doing Easy Grammar since 3rd grade and many cannot tell me what an adjective or an adverb are. I do like the daily grams though and feel like they are a valuable review.  I use them for morning work.  I would continue to use the daily grams, but ditch the Easy Grammar book. It is anything but easy for kids, and I don't feel like they are learning grammar well.  I am teaching 5th grade- if that makes a difference.  

I am a huge Shurley English fan, but I have created (mostly all) my own jingles. It has a steep learning curve for teachers, and it is very repetitive. I  had very little grammar in school. After teaching it, I feel very confident. I learned a ton!  No one needs to do more than three years of it.  I feel like Shurley is very thorough.  (I did not use the composition sections, just the grammar.)  Next, year my 6th grader and I will do Shurley 7 and move on to sentence diagraming programs. I know there are other excellent grammar programs out there too.  

• Like 1

Wondering where Daily Grams fits in as far as Easy Grammar goes.  Is it meant to be used along with EG or on its own at some point?  Thanks!

Easy Grammar was my favorite. :001_wub:  

Easy Grammar is primary instruction. Daily Grams is review. I know that the author recommends using them simultaneously, but I am brassy enough to disagree, lol.

In our house, we don't do a formal grammar until the dc are 10 or 11 or even 12. So, if I wanted to do grammar for several years, it would be EG one year; DG the next; Eg following that. EG Plus should be the last one. 

• Like 2

We hated easy grammar here. I found it...meaningless and I don't think dd11 learned a thing in grammar last year. We did not do daily grams this year but I'm looking at something similar but different (Evan Moore) for a combination math/grammar daily review for next year. Honestly I was so disappointed in easy grammar.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I didn't realize EG was so despised, lol.  My daughter is 13, has had some grammar instruction in the past, so was thinking EG might fit for a more focused year or so of grammar.

Remember that you asked this question on a forum where many people expect to start formal grammar instruction with young children, and where diagramming is considered to be vital, and where grammar instruction will go on for many, many years. :-) I promise you that in the larger homeschool community, there are many of us who love Easy Grammar.

EG makes perfect sense to me: find the prepositional phrases first, because the subject and verb will never be a prepositional phrase. The other parts of speech are much easier to find once you've done that. 

I did grammar, with diagramming, almost every year when I was in school, including my senior year of high school. When I went through EG with my daughter, grammar finally made sense to me.

I will always recommend EG. :001_wub:

Thanks, Ellie.  Do you have any thoughts about Wordsmith and LLATL?  Those are programs I'm looking at for writing/grammar.  Brave Writer is our base and its philosophy of education dictates how things are implemented around here.  I do like having lots of resources around as I am a picker and puller from a variety of programs/educational tools.  Anyway, looking at Wordsmith/LLATL as possible resources.  Thanks!

My 13 yr old is using EG Plus with DG 7 this year.  We are behind on it a bit, she just finished up the punctuation section at the back of EG so that she can use 1 pg of DG along with EG each day.  Seems to be working fine. 

ETA: To clarify: we did the punctuation section first, since punctuation is included in DG.  Now we are back to the beginning of the EG book (it's such a big book and feels like it's going to take us forever!).   

EG Plus should be the last one. 

Ellie, I know you haven't used EG in awhile....I was wondering if you've heard about the new Ultimate series for grade 8 - 12?  It seems to be set up similar to DG, but with more instruction than DG has.  

Edited by BatmansWife
  • Like 1

Thanks, Ellie.  Do you have any thoughts about Wordsmith and LLATL?  Those are programs I'm looking at for writing/grammar.  Brave Writer is our base and its philosophy of education dictates how things are implemented around here.  I do like having lots of resources around as I am a picker and puller from a variety of programs/educational tools.  Anyway, looking at Wordsmith/LLATL as possible resources.  Thanks!

Wordsmith looks pretty decent. :-)

I have not loved what I've seen about LLATL, but I have friends who have used it exclusively all the way through high school and their children are well-written and literate, so there you go. :-)

• Like 1