Menu

Dog peeps - pup jumping out of fence - uh oh.

Spryte

Our new (to us) pup has learned to leap over our 4.5 foot fence.  She's a jumper.  She's 9 mos old, so not an adult yet, and an Aussie mix.  Our last Aussie was a bit of a Houdini, but not a jumper.  

We need to add another option to our fencing.  Replacing it completely is out - it's a large area, and the fence really doesn't need to be replaced.

Ideas so far:

Invisible Fencing (have you done this?  Used a company or installed yourself?)

A wireless collar that issues some type of leveled correction if leaving the designated area

A wifi collar with GPS, speaker and camera - that one only issues a high pitched sound

Adding a 45 degree angle to our existing fence somehow - I'm not sure this would work, but we could research more

If you've tried any of these, how did they work?

Thanks for any tips!

Edited by Spryte

How much fence? It's not an attractive option and not one you'd want to do for a lot of fence, but using PVC as "rollers" along the top can keep climbers in (if she's actually clearing it like a deer and not using the top of the fence to launch, it won't work).

Personally I'd DIY a system like SportDOG.

• Like 1

Ok, so our fence is sort of scalloped. It's a Thing in this neighborhood, we didn't install it. I don't think we can extend the height easily. every four foot section is rounded up, if that makes sense. Our fenced area is huge, and goes through woods and to a pond, and replacing the whole thing - I don't think it's in our reach at the moment. Grrrrr.

For now, I'm thinking we'll make a visual boundary with flags, a few feet in from the fence. And we will go out with her, and have her wear a training collar that vibrates (not shocks) - this is just temporary, working with what we have on hand. I don't think it's a permanent solution. Dog training people - does that sound reasonable?

Still hunting for a solution that's permanent.

How much fence? It's not an attractive option and not one you'd want to do for a lot of fence, but using PVC as "rollers" along the top can keep climbers in (if she's actually clearing it like a deer and not using the top of the fence to launch, it won't work).

Personally I'd DIY a system like SportDOG.

She is clearing it like a deer. It's amazing, really. She has quite a leap!

How would you use SportDOG? I checked their website, and am still pondering that one. Maybe it was because I'm on mobile, I mostly found hunting info.

Some info on extending the height of your fence:

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/FenceExtend.htm

Have you thought about something like a Purrfect cat fence? Their website says, "The fence material itself was originally designed for deer exclusion including handling a deer impact.  How well it works with dogs very much depends on the dog.  Even large breed dogs would be hard-pressed to breach the fence with a full speed impact but aggressive chewers and diggers may be able to damage the fence or form points of escape for cats.  If you have questions about putting your dog(s) within a Purr…fect Fence enclosure, please write us an email..."

• Like 1

She is clearing it like a deer. It's amazing, really. She has quite a leap!

How would you use SportDOG? I checked their website, and am still pondering that one. Maybe it was because I'm on mobile, I mostly found hunting info.

SportDOG makes in-ground invisible fences you can do yourself. It is pretty versatile--different levels of notification/correction with the collars (tone, vibrate, different levels of static correction, etc.) and from what I have heard, it's a pretty reliable system. Some people don't even bury the fence; they just lay it on the ground or run it along existing physical fence. So, inexpensive (relative to having a company come in and install it, anyway) and easy is the thing. The system I have looked at will cover over an acre for about $250.

I like Katie's idea to make a smaller fenced area with a taller fence for when you can't supervise her, and then possibly the invisible fence for when you're keeping an eye on her.

• Like 1

SportDOG makes in-ground invisible fences you can do yourself. It is pretty versatile--different levels of notification/correction with the collars (tone, vibrate, different levels of static correction, etc.) and from what I have heard, it's a pretty reliable system. Some people don't even bury the fence; they just lay it on the ground or run it along existing physical fence. So, inexpensive (relative to having a company come in and install it, anyway) and easy is the thing. The system I have looked at will cover over an acre for about $250.

I like Katie's idea to make a smaller fenced area with a taller fence for when you can't supervise her, and then possibly the invisible fence for when you're keeping an eye on her.

That's cool! We were looking at invisible fences we'd need to bury - running it along the fence in some of the areas would be excellent - it's a large area, and digging in the wooded area will be hard.

I'm going to check the other links here, and tomorrow I'll go out and see if there's an area we can make "hers" ... our yard isn't a big blank canvas, it's huge but sectioned into these fun little areas with landscaping and paths and woods, but I have an idea that we might be able to make one area hers, and maybe even put in a doggy door to that part. Pondering...

For now, I've been out every time with her, with the training collar. She hasn't jumped again.

• Like 1

I wish we could have afforded a training class that is offered nearby. They start out with beginners (puppies to a certain age), then agility courses and it runs for a few months. Looks like a great program. That might work for your girl too. A lot of communities offer these classes. Looks like a lot of fun and so worth it.

• Like 1

I wish we could have afforded a training class that is offered nearby. They start out with beginners (puppies to a certain age), then agility courses and it runs for a few months. Looks like a great program. That might work for your girl too. A lot of communities offer these classes. Looks like a lot of fun and so worth it.

We've been thinking she'd be great in agility. If nothing else, to keep her busy and occupied. DS in interested, too, so we're looking around. :) She's only 9 mos, so just starting with some training would help.

• Like 1