Menu

SAT score options and super scores

Can someone please explain to me what are the options and how you know what the university you are applying to will allow. 

One university said:

You are free to use the College Board Score Choice option
For the SAT, we will review your highest test scores in each section across test dates and any other scores you choose to share with us. 

What does this mean?  

Edited by lewelma

This is explained in detail here:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/scores/sending-scores/score-choice

"With Score Choice™, you can put your best foot forward by choosing which scores you send to colleges. Choose by test date for the SAT and by individual test for SAT Subject Tests—but keep in mind that some colleges and scholarship programs require you to send all your scores."

The admissions website of your college will specify whether they accept score choice.

"For the SAT, we will review your highest test scores in each section across test dates and any other scores you choose to share with us"

Student who take the SAT multiple times may score different subscores in a given subject on the different days. Some colleges consider only the highest math, highest English etc score, even if they are not all obtained on the same date.

For students who only take the test once this is irrelevant

For students who only take the test once this is irrelevant

This is what I'm trying to decide.  DS will take the SAT2 in May and SAT in June.  He would rather not take them again, especially given that November is finals here so doing SAT and applications and finals would likely sink him.  

Can you take just the essay portion again?  Or do you have to do the whole thing every time?  Or if you do well on the language and maths but stink at the essay, can you take it again and then only send the essay from the second and the language and maths from the first?  Isn't that super scoring? is that the same as score options?  I'm off to read your link....

Can you take just the essay portion again?  Or do you have to do the whole thing every time?  Or if you do well on the language and maths but stink at the essay, can you take it again and then only send the essay from the second and the language and maths from the first?  Isn't that super scoring? is that the same as score options?  I'm off to read your link....

No, you must take the entire test every single time. You cannot take individual sections.

Score choice allows you to choose for which test dates you want to report the scores. But you must report the scores for all sections from that date. Any superscoring, if at all, is done by the college.

Some schools require all scores to be sent.

ETA: I would not worry about the essay. It is optional, and many schools won't require it.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

ok, I think I get it.  We should just wait and see how he does the first time around.  His first practice test was outstanding, but not done sequentially.  DS said he has to build up some stamina.  And he has to learn how to write the essay!

ok, I think I get it.  We should just wait and see how he does the first time around.  His first practice test was outstanding, but not done sequentially.  DS said he has to build up some stamina.  And he has to learn how to write the essay!

do the schools he is applying to even require the essay?

Edited by regentrude