Menu

Large corner area in kitchen

DawnM

Ok, it doesn't have to be a corner type cabinet, it can be just a 4' long  by 2' deep cabinet.

I want a floor to ceiling cabinet there.  There is room.  I wont' be able to match the cabinets but that is ok, because I want to change out the cabinets anyway.

Is there such a thing?  A removable 7' or so tall cabinet unit that is nice, looks like it belongs and is functional?  Everything I find are built ins.

I would LOVE pull out shelving and sort of a pantry type cabinet there, NOT a china cabinet with glass or decorative.

HELP me.  

My inclination would be to use Billy bookshelves from IKEA, two sets high plus the extension, but they are not all that deep, 12 or 15 inches.  They would have the height, though, and they would be removable, and you can get them with or without doors, and the doors can be with or without clear glass fronts.

The other way to go, if you like them, is to get stackable antique lawyer bookshelves.  Again, though, they are not as deep.  

• Like 1

A cabinet maker can make a free standing unit to your specs. My parents had the guy who did their kitchen cabinets make a large unit that would fit on two different walls because they couldn't decide how they were going to do the next phase of their house renovations. It needs to be anchored to the wall for safety reasons, but they can move it to another space later.

• Like 4

Look at "pantry" cabinets at IKEA and similar. There are tons of options. A custom cabinet maker could totally do it, too. Just figure out what your ideal is, what your budget is, and go from there!!

Alternately, you could easily find a nice antique cabinet of some sort. I have one in my hall that is just about exactly that size, with solid wood doors on the bottom half and glass doors up top. 

• Like 1

Billy bookcases aren't deep enough to be very functional; I know because I have tried this. I would recommend using either the IKEA Sektion system or Ivar....maybe Hemnes.

Isn't this funny, because I *like* a shallow shelf.  I can find *everything* and nothing gets buried.  Of course, if it is all you have, some things won't fit.  

It's kinda cool that different things work for different people.  :0)

My inclination would be to use Billy bookshelves from IKEA, two sets high plus the extension, but they are not all that deep, 12 or 15 inches.  They would have the height, though, and they would be removable, and you can get them with or without doors, and the doors can be with or without clear glass fronts.

The other way to go, if you like them, is to get stackable antique lawyer bookshelves.  Again, though, they are not as deep.  

I NEED doors, no open space and no glass.  And I should have specified.  I want actual wood, no laminate.

Wouldn't you rather have a rocking chair? Sigh. I miss my kitchen rocker!

Aaaand there's today's winner for Most Unhelpful, Selfish Post.

Oh goodness no.  I would just be sitting staring at the rest of the kitchen.  The sunroom is right off the kitchen and I can sit and see the outside.  Much nicer.

• Like 1

I NEED doors, no open space and no glass. And I should have specified. I want actual wood, no laminate.

I know you want wood but the Ikea pantry cabinets are amazing. You would need 4 more inches of depth. It can be configured with drawers which are 1000x more useful than a deep shelf. It keeps everything accessible.

• Like 1

No, you can get opaque doors for Billy bookshelves.  I like the birch ones particularly.

And, YOU HAVE A SUNROOM?  Oh you blessed woman!  That is so wonderful!

I have some Billy bookshelves I am not using, but I need this cabinet to hold things like my mixer, juicer, and Instant pot.  I am not sure these will be deep enough.

And yes, we do enjoy our sunroom.  It is almost a den really, although it has floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides.  But we have one wall completely filled with bookshelves, two very comfortable leather chairs with ottomans, and a large TV in there.

Edited by DawnM

You might be able to find a local cabinetmaker to make a custom piece for you. We have an awesome guy who does custom work and it's not much more than what we can buy off the shelf at a big box store.  

I think that may be what I need to do.  

The more I think about it, the more I think I want more of a real lower cabinet, a countertop area, and top cabinets like a regular kitchen upper cabinet.  It could still be made attached but would look like it belonged in the kitchen.  

Just starting to think all of this through.  

• Like 2

I believe so.  I imagine that the tricky part might be to match the colors exactly, if you have had yours for a while.  Not sure whether and how much they might fade with time.

Well, maybe the frosted glass ones?

I can't find them online but I may be looking at the wrong area.

I have some Billy bookshelves I am not using, but I need this cabinet to hold things like my mixer, juicer, and Instant pot.  I am not sure these will be deep enough.

I think that Billy bookshelves would not be deep enough for this, but since you have some you could try it out.  Certainly the mixer would have to go in sideways, if it fit at all, which is darned  awkward.

I have wanted to design and have someone build for me a 'modern Hoosier' for that kind of thing.

I have a spot for a big wide one at the cabin.

What my plan is for the mixer and my massive food processor is two of those under the counter cabinets that have shelves that come up and lock, with the appliances on them, and then fold back under the counter when you're done.  They seem so brilliant.  I hate carrying those two things around.

But I'm not certain about this, because part of the whole concept is wanting to have a working space above the cabinets, and then overhead spice racks and dry staples in a higher cabinet, along with measuring cups, spoons, and a scale, and a sifter, plus mixing bowls and mise en place bowls, and an assortment of knives.  If bringing up the mixer, say, stopped me from being able to reach the cinnamon, that would not be functional.  So I'm still trying to figure it out.

I think that Billy bookshelves would not be deep enough for this, but since you have some you could try it out.  Certainly the mixer would have to go in sideways, if it fit at all, which is darned  awkward.

I have wanted to design and have someone build for me a 'modern Hoosier' for that kind of thing.

I have a spot for a big wide one at the cabin.

What my plan is for the mixer and my massive food processor is two of those under the counter cabinets that have shelves that come up and lock, with the appliances on them, and then fold back under the counter when you're done.  They seem so brilliant.  I hate carrying those two things around.

But I'm not certain about this, because part of the whole concept is wanting to have a working space above the cabinets, and then overhead spice racks and dry staples in a higher cabinet, along with measuring cups, spoons, and a scale, and a sifter, plus mixing bowls and mise en place bowls, and an assortment of knives.  If bringing up the mixer, say, stopped me from being able to reach the cinnamon, that would not be functional.  So I'm still trying to figure it out.

I have determined they will NOT work in the kitchen, but I am considering putting doors on them and using them in the basement.

What I NEED is a complete overhaul to my kitchen with new cabinets, but I think I will have to wait another year or two for that.

Right now we are trying to get completely out of debt (ironically enough, a home improvement loan to move, which we ended up not doing.)

But that is a whole new topic.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

If you are planning on a major overhaul of your kitchen within 2 years, I would go cheap and quick (google up pantry cabinets, go cheap, plan to repurpose to the basement/etc after the remodel) for the purpose you state. Save the $$$ for the remodel, as you'll want all the $$ you can get for that!!! (You'd likely spend 2-3k for a custom cabinet that size, at least, with a custom cabinet maker . . . More like 3-5k if you get anything but the cheapest  options.)

(Just did a major remodel 2 years ago, and still recovering, lol)