Menu

s/o Any yell-sneezers here?

fairfarmhand

If you're one of these, tell me more.

Do you do it intentionally?

Is it a learned behavior? Does your parent or someone else do it too?

Can you moderate it, such as if you were sitting in church or something?

Anything else to share?

Anyone else have questions for yell sneezers?

I sometimes yell sneeze. It takes me by surprise when it happens. Not that I sneeze a lot, but the yell sneezes have only happened at home that I remember.

ETA. I'd be terribly embarrassed if it happened at church.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

I do it. 

I don't know why.  I don't know any other way to sneeze.

My husband often tells me to just relax, but I can't.  I don't know how.

And it is a little painful to sneeze, my husband thinks it would be easier on me to have a gentler sneeze, but I do not know how.

It is just how I sneeze! 

Oh, and I don't really get embarrassed.  I know people notice me sneeze, but I can't help it, it is an involuntary thing. 

I don't really notice other people sneezing or stare, and nobody STARES at me, but I am sure people notice the same as I would notice.

But it is not a big deal to me that way. 

If I thought people at church were that concerned about my sneezing I would probably not want to go to church there -- honestly it has never crossed my mind other than seeing it mentioned, so my answer on that is no, I am not embarrassed to sneeze at church.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I think I might be a yell-sneezer. But, one of my pet peeves is quiet or mouse sneezers. It bothers me a lot to see someone sneeze, but not hear it or hear only a squeak in its place. I want to yell, "You are an adult! Sneeze like one!" even though I know that has nothing to do with it. Just one of my weird quirks.

• Like 6

I do it sometimes, but only at home. I can hold it in if I want. I find that sneezing "out loud" is much easier on my body, pressure-wise, than sneezing quietly. When I make the sneeze more of an open-mouthed cough/sneeze/yell, I don't feel that pressure in my head that I otherwise do. Nor does my "plumbing" leak like it does normally.

• Like 2

I used to be.  I learned that I didn't have to be.  Now I am not exactly a mouse sneezer and once in awhile one sneaks past me, but I'm not typically a yell-sneezer anymore.   

Dh does it. He rarely sneezes, but when he does, it's like he's had the most giant build up ever. I sneeze all the time - after dusting, when I'm sick, when I'm allergic, when something smells funny... and I'm usually pretty quiet. He probably sneezes three times a year if that and every one of them seems explosive. He also can't figure out how to blow his nose without making a honking noise.

When we were first together, I found it all very off-putting. Now I think it's just funny and maybe a little sweet. Because that's the kind of crazy crap that happens when you've been married two decades.

• Like 1

I think I might be a yell-sneezer. But, one of my pet peeves is quiet or mouse sneezers. It bothers me a lot to see someone sneeze, but not hear it or hear only a squeak in its place. I want to yell, "You are an adult! Sneeze like one!" even though I know that has nothing to do with it. Just one of my weird quirks.

Hahaha!

My dh is yell sneezer and bestie is mouse sneezer. They are utterly dumbfounded at each other. I laugh at both of them.

• Like 4

Probably TMI, but I'm less likely to tinkle if I "yell sneeze".  Trying to be quieter about it causes too much pressure or something? lol.  

I have a nasty cold at the moment.  There's a lot of yell/cough/choke sneezing going on at the moment.  I'm gross and I don't even care today.  :ack2:  :ack2:  :ack2:

• Like 2

My kids tell me i am a loud sneezer. It never occurred to me before a few years ago, when they brought it to my attention. Like others, if i try to moderate my sneezes they hurt, plus I'm more likely to blow something disgusting out of my nose from the force. My SIL sounds like a kitten when she sneezes.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 2

I am.  Two of the kids run from the room when they know I'm about to sneeze. LOL

Dh asked me to warn him when we were first married--all I can managed is  a strangled "snee" before I let loose.

I can't control it--well, if I put my finger under my nose, I can delay it.

I can choke it in, but that makes a weird noise, too, although better for church.  Generally, I hurry from the room.

Fortunately, I am not a frequent sneezer.

• Like 2

I sometimes yell-sneeze at home for dramatic effect. 😆 But my regular sneezes are obnoxiously loud. I can't sneeze quietly to save my life. It's really embarrassing. DH is a very quiet sneezer. He says he learned it while working in a restaurant. I think my face would explode if I held it in like he does.

• Like 1

Thank you to those of you who have shared that you yell-sneeze in order to prevent bladder leakage. I do this, too. There is something about forcing the pressure upward and out of my head that keeps the pressure from exerting itself downward and out of my .... you know. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I used to be a normal sneezer.

If I am in public, I tone it down, but it takes a great effort to hold things in... in both directions at once.

• Like 2

Not all the time. But I sneeze up to 7 -9 times in a row and typically have three rounds of that each and every morning. When I am teaching a class, the kids know to not say "bless you" anymore until it is over. I can get light-headed afterward. So even if it is not super loud, it is extremely noticeable. 

Lol. We have been laughing at baby girl bc she does it. I'm confident it's not a learned behavior in a 3.5 month old.

She will open her mouth wide and then start to yell and the yell ends in a sneeze. It's pretty dang funny to watch. And she always smiles afterwards like it was a huge relief.

I hope she can moderate it with age though as I'm sure it would be mildly embarrassing as a grown person in many situations.

• Like 2

My dad is a yell sneezer. I think I have ptsd from it. He also fell asleep on the couch all the time, but if you tried to wake him, he would abruptly sit up and yell. Memories.

I learned something new today. I had no idea that sneezing is actually painful for some people. That's a bummer.

I'm not sure I know what a yell sneeze is.

I do sneeze many times in a row though. So did my late mom and late sister.

Except for maybe a kid hamming it up I never thought of sneezes as something one could change. I also never thought people were thinking that sneezers were being annoying.

:(

Me, definitely. 

Sometimes I can control it somewhat IF I feel the sneeze coming on. Or at least I can walk away, lol. 

Other times it's completely unexpected and there's no time to attempt control. 

And it hurts my feelings when people say I don't have to do it or I could control it. Oh yes, I do it on purpose, because I LOVE having everyone in the room turn around and stare at me.

*sulks* 

• Like 1

If you're one of these, tell me more.

Do you do it intentionally?

Is it a learned behavior? Does your parent or someone else do it too?

Can you moderate it, such as if you were sitting in church or something?

Anything else to share?

Anyone else have questions for yell sneezers?

It happens only once in awhile.  Not yell, so much as a LOUD "ACHOOOO.  I don't know why it happens sometimes and not other times. 

You can stifle it a little but it feels like your head will explode from the pressure. 

Every sneeze is different.  Some are quiet. Some are loud. I don't know why.  No, I don't believe it is learned at all, it just is instinctive. 

This thread is making me LOL!   :lol:

My dh is a very loud, very sudden, fairly frequent sneezer.  And I am easily startled.  What a pair.   :glare: haha

<Quoting myself>

I was just telling dh about this thread and he said, "I'm not a yell sneezer."  Then he proceeded to ask if I'd told you guys about the time he sneezed in Culver's and a worker (who couldn't see him) said, "Was that a DOG???" 

So instead of a yell sneezer, I guess he's a bark sneezer!   :laugh:

• Like 2

A lady at church used to do that. It wasn't something she could help though. She had previously had ovarian cancer and had surgeries. She now has mesh in her abdomen. She physically cannot suppress the loudness of her sneeze, even in church, due to the break in muscles in her abdomen. Until I learned about this, I didn't realize how much our core muscles are included in a sneeze!

I've never considered this topic at all.

But, every time I see the thread title, it makes me laugh. :lol:

Maybe I should yell-sneeze in celebration!

ETA: I think I sneeze loudly, but I'm not even sure what a yell-sneeze is, nor am I sure if I do it or not.

Edited by Stacia

Sometimes yes, sometimes no - when yes, there is nothing I can do about it, and I'm as surprised as you are.  I sneeze in "chains" - sometimes so long I have to sit down or fall down as the black spot swim in my eyes.  I once got in trouble at school - whole school in the hall, all goes quiet as I let out a series of almighty yell-sneezes.  I got hauled into the office and given detention.  I chose not to attend it :-)  In that case it was probably the waft of over- frgranced girls sitting down around me, making a cloud of sneeze inducing scent. 

I *wish* I could silence it when it happens, I really do!

I don't care how loud a sneeze is, but I care very much whether the sneeze is covered. Sneezes spread particles in a huge cloud!

I hate those videos that show sneezing consequences. So gross. Makes me want to never leave home or at least wear white gloves everywhere when I do. Blech!

ETA: I had to watch it again, of course. We're all gonna die...from someone else's sneeze.

Edited by momacacia