Menu

where to buy bike helmet for large head

SparklyUnicorn

adult sizes come in ranges - sm, med, lg.

try a bike/sporting-goods shop at least to figure out size.

when dudeling was 8 - he wore a women's  sm.

Might have to try an on-line bike store.  I don't know of any around.  There used to be one up the street, but they went out of business.

It would be nicer if he could try it on though.

Yeah he always had a big noggin. 

Per REI:

To find your size, wrap a flexible tape measure around the largest portion of your head—about 1 in. above your eyebrows. Or, wrap a string or ribbon around your head, then measure the length of string with a straight-edge ruler or yardstick.

Look for a helmet size that matches your measurement. On REI.com, the size range is listed under the "Specs" tab on each product page.

General sizing parameters:

• Extra-small: below 20" (51cm)
  • Small: 20"–21.75" (51cm–55cm)
  • Medium: 21.75"–23.25" (55cm–59cm)
  • Large: 23.25"–24.75" (59cm–63cm)
  • Extra-large: above 24.75 (63cm)
  • One size fits all (men): 21.25"–24" (54cm–61cm)
  • One size fits all (women): 19.75"–22.5" (50cm–57cm)
  • One size fits all (kids): 18"–22.5" (46cm–57cm)

• Like 2

Some people apparently have heads so big helmets don't fit.  When they made it illegal to bike without them here (grr...) they had to include n exception for people with heads over a certain size.

I would email the specialty bike shop.  THey'll know where to get them if they are available.  It would probably help if you could send the measurement.

• Like 1

Some people apparently have heads so big helmets don't fit.  When they made it illegal to bike without them here (grr...) they had to include n exception for people with heads over a certain size.

I would email the specialty bike shop.  THey'll know where to get them if they are available.  It would probably help if you could send the measurement.

Which specialty bike shop?

Well, it's illegal, but there is no penalty.  I would just feel better if he wore one.

Any shop that's online.

We get fined, here. 

Oh wait. He would not be required by law here. I was thinking of the state I used to live in.  Here it says 13 and under and anyone who cycles for their job.  I have been letting him for the time being.  His other helmet was just too uncomfortable.  But I would feel better that he have one. 

There are no bike shops nearby.

I just ordered one.  They listed the size it fits.  So I'll go from there.

We do have a few REI stores here. They are good at returns and exchanges but it is hard to find a helmet for my very round large head DS11 in store there. DS12 head is less round but still hard to fit, he ends up with a multipurpose helmet.

A while back a FB friend of mine posted about looking for a helmet for her " wide round Asian head." :) She posted a link to this blog post, which talks about head sizes and shapes (not just Asian). It has some numbers and ratios in it for popular helmets, so maybe you'd find it helpful?

Thanks.

I might need to look for a Kabuto helmet. My DS11 has a really round big head and really wants to be able to bike.

• Like 2

We do have a few REI stores here. They are good at returns and exchanges but it is hard to find a helmet for my very round large head DS11 in store there. DS12 head is less round but still hard to fit, he ends up with a multipurpose helmet.

Thanks.

I might need to look for a Kabuto helmet. My DS11 has a really round big head and really wants to be able to bike.

Yeah I think the issue isn't just the measurement but the shape.  His head is a bit over 24 in.  That should still work, but it doesn't.  He said it hurts his head.  So I'm thinking it must be the shape too.

Yeah I think the issue isn't just the measurement but the shape. His head is a bit over 24 in. That should still work, but it doesn't. He said it hurts his head. So I'm thinking it must be the shape too.

DS12 says he feels cramped above his ears for the common bike helmets. Kind of like pressing on his skull even with the padding removed. I have the same problem and my head circumference is less than 22". Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I bought mine on eBay.  Very inexpensive. From yall or something like that. Turns out that is the same company I buy laptop batteries from, but they go by laptopz-outlet for that.  I think you need to measure the circumference of the head and then try to find out what size helmet you need to buy. That's how it works for motorcycle helmets, so I assume it is the same for bicycle helmets.  This helmet has more coverage than the helmet I'd purchased here years ago, which cost more...  I think it was about USD $10 including shipping within the USA.   I hope the large head is not a big issue. You can search for "bicycle helmet+large head" or something like that, without the quote marks.  I ALWAYS WEAR MY BICYCLE HELMET WHEN i RIDE MY BIKE!  i bought this helmet about 2 or 3 years ago?

Really good if one can try on a helmet, to see if it is comfortable, and fits snugly.  Buying a comfortable bicycle safety helmet should be much easier than buying a full face motorcycle helmet.  I could go into our garage and put on one of the motorcycle helmets (full face) and it might or might not be comfortable. Another one might be comfortable.  Bike helmets are far more comfortable than heavy helmets for motorcycle riders.