Menu

What's with the ads?

SparklyUnicorn

This would be too weird right?

So, after spending YEARS working on math with my kids I wanted to continue learning more after I got my kid as far as I could get him.  Although he was more dragging me along after awhile.  So I am taking the same class he is taking, but a different time and a different instructor.  I'm LOVING it.  Really really loving it.  I love the instructor.  I love the fact the students there mostly seem to want to be there.  That's something new to me in a math class.

So anyhow, I had no specific plans in terms of whether or not I'd keep going with it.  It's become a sort of hobby and that's the sort of thing you can keep doing or move onto something else.  But..the more I go along, the more I am excited about going on.  I want to learn more.  But there is the little odd detail that if I did that, I would very likely have no choice but to end up in the same class as my kid.  I don't know if that's too weird.  Of course there is no rule against that.  But I dunno.  Might be weird. 

He does not have an issue with it BTW.  In fact he said why don't I just take the same class.  I didn't want to and so I picked a time slot I knew he would never want to do (8am).  On the side of "this isn't a huge deal" there are a wide variety of ages in the class now.  Anything from fresh out of high school to older than me.  So I won't stick out for that reason. 

What do you think?  Am I overthinking this?

• Like 1

I would not want to be in the same class as my kid. I did not even join the university book club my DD attended until she had left for college, and I dropped out of university choir when she wanted to join, because I wanted her to be uninhibited in making friends, openly discussing, having this be her independent thing, without mom there. She found her best friends in the DE classes she took, and I think it would have altered the dynamic had I been there for every class.

YMMV.

• Like 3

I would not want to be in the same class as my kid. I did not even join the university book club my DD attended until she had left for college, and I dropped out of university choir when she wanted to join, because I wanted her to be uninhibited in making friends, openly discussing, having this be her independent thing, without mom there. She found her best friends in the DE classes she took, and I think it would have altered the dynamic had I been there for every class.

YMMV.

Well there is no danger I'd interfere with friendships.  I'm not worried about that for various reasons. 

I could see this being problematic in a class where there was student collaboration, interaction, discussion.  There is none of that.  At least not in this class.  It's a CC without any sort of "college life". 

But yeah no doubt I find this weird.  He wanted me to join his class and I said no.  We joked that we'd deny knowing each other.  But he said..no you don't have to do that.  He is not bothered.  But I'm kinda bothered.

But then I dunno.  That would mean I don't get to take the class.  I am not too happy about that either.

Well there is no danger I'd interfere with friendships.  I'm not worried about that for various reasons. 

I could see this being problematic in a class where there was student collaboration, interaction, discussion.  There is none of that.  At least not in this class.  It's a CC without any sort of "college life". 

They don't hang out between classes? Study in groups? Go to the library? Do homework in help sessions? 

How sad.

• Like 1

My three daughters and I all attend the same CC.  Oldest DD and I are in the same year and will actually walk the graduation line together this semester (yay!) We've not had the chance to take a class together because of our schedules, but we've come close (I had to change to another class because of work)...it didn't bother us.  We even have some mutual friends at CC.  Lots of people know I'm her mom (or think I'm her sister because we look a LOT alike).  I wouldn't let being in the same class stop me from taking a class.  

• Like 6

They don't hang out between classes? Study in groups? Go to the library? Do homework in help sessions? 

How sad.

No, not really. 

He recognized one person from 2 classes ago that he took.  They sit together.  But that person is quite a bit older.  Too much older to suggest hanging out after.  My kid just turned 15.  So the age difference is probably a factor.  And my kid does not look older nor can he blend in.  He's like 5 ft three and could be mistaken for someone in middle school.  Most of his activities are with adults, who accept him at the activities, but nothing has moved beyond that.  He is also very introverted too though so I don't think he is super bothered by it. 

Admittedly I would not hang out with a 15 year old socially. 

My three daughters and I all attend the same CC.  Oldest DD and I are in the same year and will actually walk the graduation line together this semester (yay!) We've not had the chance to take a class together because of our schedules, but we've come close (I had to change to another class because of work)...it didn't bother us.  We even have some mutual friends at CC.  Lots of people know I'm her mom (or think I'm her sister because we look a LOT alike).  I wouldn't let being in the same class stop me from taking a class.  

Cool!

If he was bothered in the slightest I wouldn't even be entertaining this idea.  But he is absolutely not bothered. 

Cool!

If he was bothered in the slightest I wouldn't even be entertaining this idea.  But he is absolutely not bothered. 

If he isn't bothered, and you aren't bothered, then do it!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 8

I do have one dd that prefers that I do not take the same class as her.  But this is also the same kid that yells at me for dancing to music in the car or singing in the grocery store.  :driving:  :confused1:

• Like 2

I do have one dd that prefers that I do not take the same class as her.  But this is also the same kid that yells at me for dancing to music in the car or singing in the grocery store.  :driving:  :confused1:

I'm amazed my kid isn't embarrassed by me.  I don't think I'm embarrassing, but ya know...I'm "Mom".  LOL 

If it was an English class with my mom, I'd be alternately embarrassed (for myself, because I am not a great writer) and super proud (because despite her toxic personality, my mom can WRITE! and she's smart!).

If my kids wouldn't mind me in the same (math) class, I would do it. We already do so much together - we could help each other with homework. The only negative would be if they are competitive in terms of grades. I can't see us in the same English class.

• Like 3

If it was an English class with my mom, I'd be alternately embarrassed (for myself, because I am not a great writer) and super proud (because despite her toxic personality, my mom can WRITE! and she's smart!).

If my kids wouldn't mind me in the same (math) class, I would do it. We already do so much together - we could help each other with homework. The only negative would be if they are competitive in terms of grades. I can't see us in the same English class.

Oh I think the competition is good for my kid.  He certainly doesn't want me to outdo him.  He isn't motivated by much else at this point.

It's interesting because we have 2 different instructors and their approach is wildly different.  So we compare notes and approaches.  We learn from both of them.  He likes to talk math, but I let him come to me.  Except for repeating, "Did you do your homework...did you do your homework..." I don't look at his stuff unless he offers.

I do think with a class that involved a lot of talking stuff out in class, it could potentially be weird. 

It's weird...but ya know..weird isn't a reason in and of itself not to do something.  It's possible this won't be an issue.  I looked back at historically how many classes are offered and some semesters they offer more than one and some they only offer one.  If there is more than one, I will choose the other one. 

• Like 2

Weird that you would be in a class with your 15 year old or weird that you want to take math for enrichment?  :lol:

• Like 3

How sad.

Don't know that it is sad exactly.  They cater to the types of students they have.  A lot of them work full time.  Some are there just to take a course that they can transfer elsewhere.  They do have degree programs, but these are 2 year degrees.  So those who are traditional students aren't there for very long.  There is no on campus housing. 

They have some clubs listed, but not many.  Their programming seems geared towards helping younger people or struggling people launch.  For example, they offer presentations on how to deal with a landlord who is a jerk, how to get assistance with this or that, how to organize your time, etc.  Yesterday I saw a poster that offered bags of free food with your ID.  So a lot of people there do not have the luxury of time and money to join clubs and extras. 

Weird that you would be in a class with your 15 year old or weird that you want to take math for enrichment?  :lol:

Well, yeah and then there is that.  LOL

The instructor asked people in the class about future plans. Are you a math major....will you go on...is this the last class in the line of stuff you are required to take...

He never asked if anyone was taking this for fun. 

• Like 3

heh

Sometimes when people ask me why math is required I tell them it's like PE for their brain. 

• Like 3

Don't know that it is sad exactly.  They cater to the types of students they have.  A lot of them work full time.  Some are there just to take a course that they can transfer elsewhere.  They do have degree programs, but these are 2 year degrees.  So those who are traditional students aren't there for very long.  There is no on campus housing. 

They have some clubs listed, but not many.  Their programming seems geared towards helping younger people or struggling people launch.  For example, they offer presentations on how to deal with a landlord who is a jerk, how to get assistance with this or that, how to organize your time, etc.  Yesterday I saw a poster that offered bags of free food with your ID.  So a lot of people there do not have the luxury of time and money to join clubs and extras. 

I was not thinking about clubs and extracurriculars and living in dorms. I was thinking of homework problems being of a level that it would encourage students to work in groups and the college providing academic assistance.

We run homework help sessions for all our courses, and they are packed -because many students find it helpful. And they forge connections and friendships as a nice side effect.

That's why I said "sad" - because either the work is so easy that every person can easily churn it out, or the college does not create resources for assistance and encourages collaboration.

When I was a mid teen I purposely took a night school course with my mom. She also purposely took scuba diving lessons with my brother.

When my boys are in highschool, the tentative plan is we all will take a science class with labs at night school.

• Like 5

I was not thinking about clubs and extracurriculars and living in dorms. I was thinking of homework problems being of a level that it would encourage students to work in groups and the college providing academic assistance.

We run homework help sessions for all our courses, and they are packed -because many students find it helpful. And they forge connections and friendships as a nice side effect.

That's why I said "sad" - because either the work is so easy that every person can easily churn it out, or the college does not create resources for assistance and encourages collaboration.

Well, I know myself I avoid any reason to have to go there other than during my class time.  I even bought a copy of Maple so I could use it at home.  It's too inconvenient to shlep there.  If you want to use the computers you have to get your name on a list and get a time slot.  DS went to the library a couple of times because he thought it would be cool to check it out.  He said nobody was there. 

I haven't taken enough classes to say if they ever give collaborative work, but I suspect most don't.  It would be tough on the students there. 

Even the Uni I went to had way more very busy commuters than people living there.  I dealt with one collaborative project.  The other person I had to work with came from very far.  I had no transportation so no way to get there at just any time.  I also worked full time. So we talked on the phone a couple of times and broke the project up and relied on each other to deliver our part.  Thankfully that worked out.  I would have enjoyed other ways, but that just was not the reality.

DH and DS#1 had a Philosophy class together 3 years ago when DH had retired and was finishing up his Bachelor's degree. It was a smaller class, and it involved discussion. They both enjoyed doing that class together, as it was a subject of high interest to both of them and they had fun being able to "talk shop" together, during and after class.

As long as your DS doesn't mind, I don't see why it's a problem. There are SO many people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s returning to college these days that I just don't think it's that big of a deal that a parent would be in college at the same time as their student.

Happy mathing!  :laugh:

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

I took PE classes with DS at the CC but I would have felt weird taking academic classes with him that would have involved discussion. Math might have felt ok though.

I think it really cool that you are enjoying it so much Sparkly. Very happy for you!

• Like 3

It wouldn't ever cross my mind that it could be any kind of thing to take the same class as my college aged child. And, as if it is t obvious, my child wouldn't care. Actually he might appreciate having someone to discuss homework or concepts with. :)

• Like 2

Not your situation, but, I take a group Music Theory and keyboard ensemble class with my son. I sit in with people decades younger than me and I actually have a good time. I also do not talk to my son in the class and do not interfere with his friendships. After the class I head over to the lobby and wait until he finishes whatever conversations he needs to have with his buddies. The only person older than me is the instructor with whom I chat when there is a recess or break. My son is cool with it, he is proud that his interests influenced his mother to study something she never thought she would :)

• Like 2

Totally cool. My DH talks about going to college with one of our kids once he retires. (Of course we have an Aspie, so it might be a necessity.)

• Like 2

Personally, I would see it as a plus, and i just asked my boys and they said it would be cool. (Okay, youngest did say , sure that would be fine, you could carry my books for me.:p )

• Like 2

I think its fine.  It might be different if it is a class where there would be discussions you might inhibit him from being involved in, but that doesn't seem likely.  nd it isn't like you will be in every class with him, its just once.  It might be fun.

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with it if he's ok with it.  I think that's a hold over of your own youth where people of different ages aren't allowed to socialize without being looked down upon.  Sounds like your son doesn't have that mindset.  Sounds like he views you as a person in your own right and not "an old lady" that is out of his peer group.

If you've ever watched Gilmore Girls, think of it as how Rory is best friends with her mom.  It's ok to actually like your family and not be embarrassed by them.  It's a social construct to be embarrassed and not like the very members of your immediate family, and not always a healthy construct.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

It's great when schools can do that and students are able to take advantage of it, but the nature of many community colleges is exactly what Sparkly said - people might be working full-time,  might be fitting in one class for another school, might have other responsibilities, or just might not be there for that long. 

While the CC closest to me doesn't have classes that match the uni (even those that transfer), many posters here have said theirs are much better. I don't think a lack of campus based study groups automatically equates to work so easy that every person can easily churn it out. There are lots of other ways to learn and get assistance. My library, for instance, offers free online tutoring for college students. That's more convenient for a lot of people than having to stay on campus for a set time. Or they might live near another student in the same class, and it's way easier to study with them at home instead of schlepping back to campus. There are tons of online forums available to discuss literature, math problems, just about anything. In short, campus study groups are just one way of learning and collaborating. 

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of on campus resources and study groups, and I agree that they can lead to friendships and other positive things. But, again like Sparkly said, that type of thing can be a luxury for many people.  I think it's good that people can access classes and move forward, even if they can't afford (in time or money) every aspect of the typical college experience. That's exactly what community colleges are for. 

• Like 1

As to the original question, my oldest daughter probably would not have wanted me in her first college composition class. She was 16 and somewhat self-conscious, and there were some very varied and lively discussions in that class, lol. She told me all about it and had me read her papers, but I don't think she would have wanted me in the actual class. 

But if the kid is okay with it, I see no problem, particularly in a math or similar type class. It's not like you have to announce it, sit by him, or follow him out of class if he is talking to people. 

• Like 1

So, after spending YEARS working on math with my kids I wanted to continue learning more after I got my kid as far as I could get him.  Although he was more dragging me along after awhile.  So I am taking the same class he is taking, but a different time and a different instructor.  I'm LOVING it.  Really really loving it.  I love the instructor.  I love the fact the students there mostly seem to want to be there.  That's something new to me in a math class.

So anyhow, I had no specific plans in terms of whether or not I'd keep going with it.  It's become a sort of hobby and that's the sort of thing you can keep doing or move onto something else.  But..the more I go along, the more I am excited about going on.  I want to learn more.  But there is the little odd detail that if I did that, I would very likely have no choice but to end up in the same class as my kid.  I don't know if that's too weird.  Of course there is no rule against that.  But I dunno.  Might be weird. 

He does not have an issue with it BTW.  In fact he said why don't I just take the same class.  I didn't want to and so I picked a time slot I knew he would never want to do (8am).  On the side of "this isn't a huge deal" there are a wide variety of ages in the class now.  Anything from fresh out of high school to older than me.  So I won't stick out for that reason. 

What do you think?  Am I overthinking this?

I think it is fantastic that you are doing that!  What a wonderful example you are provide for your child.  If he has no problem with you being in the same class, you should do it!  How fun!

Good luck!

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1