Menu

How to find research?

AnnE-girl

Does anyone know how I could search to find out if research has been done about family practice attorneys and their own divorce rates? DH and I have been talking about how, among the divorce attorneys he knows, they seem to have either really long marriages or multiple divorces. Now I'm really curious to see if anyone has actually studied this. I know it can be very emotionally draining work. Any ideas of where I should search for research?

According to a study done in 2010, lawyers have a lower-than-average risk of divorce. It's 11% vs. a U.S. average of 16%.

The citation is: McCoy, S. P., & Aamodt, M. G. (2010). A Comparison of Law Enforcement Divorce Rates with Those of Other Occupations. Journal Of Police & Criminal Psychology, 25(1), 1-16.

It makes sense since divorce rates in the U.S. are negatively correlated with both education and income.

If someone is a multiply-divorced lawyer specializing in divorce law, I would assume that the specialization came as a result of having been divorced (just like most special ed attorneys I know are parents of SN kids who switched into the field as a result of personal experience fighting for their child).