Menu

Is This Rushing?

ReadingMama1214

DD has about 50 or so lessons left in Ordinary Parents Guide. When she finishes the book we plan to go out for a date to a bookstore and get hot drinks and new books. She really has enjoyed doing a countdown for our readalouds in January so I decided to make a similar chart for her reading lessons. I made a square for every lesson she has left. For some concepts we did 2 lessons a day because DD already knew the concept and I just wanted to make sure I covered it. Well now she wants to do two lessons a day every day. Previously we had done 1 lesson 5 days a week Mon-Fri. Now she wants to do 2 lessons (occasionally only 1) 7 days a week. She begged to do reading lessons over the weekend. Is it possible to go too quickly through phonics? She is reading the material in each lesson pretty well and fluently reads the practice paragraphs at the end of each lesson. So the material is clicking. We do review past concepts and the phonograms daily as well. Should I slow her down? I do plan to if things get too hard or aren't clicking. Otherwise she is set to finish phonics this month and I had planned to keep going until May originally... 

She's reading. Why slow her down??

Admittedly, I speak from the perspective of someone who has never used a "learn to read" curriculum. Both my posts just sort of... Picked it up. But that's the thing: lots of children do pick it up, so what value would there be to holding her back?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking. If she's retaining it I'll just let her keep going at her pace. She does read to me daily outside of phonics too. Currently reading classic level 2 books like Little Bear and Amanda Pig and such.

I did get another book (Wise Owl) to review polysyllable words with her. I like having something systematic to do. Phonics has been the only structred thing we've done since she goes to preschool and we do more informal science and math at home

I would let her set the pace, but you also don't want her to burn out and become resistant to doing lessons, so I'd only schedule one lesson five days per week--then when you let her do two make it seem like it's a special thing and a little bit like she's getting away with something.

That said--phonics is one of the few things that kids practice forever after they learn it, so I don't think you have to worry about what she's learned not sticking.  If she does forget something, just remind her and move on.  If she forgets so much that she is becoming frustrated, that probably means that you need to slow down.

The last 50 lessons are basically just practice in multi syllable words. So it's not like there are lots of concepts to be learned, mostly just fluency to be gained. I say go for it if she wants.

-MeaganS who has completed it twice through and halfway on number 3.

I found that for one of my kids, her reading took off on its own before we got to the end of OPGTR, and the lessons near the end went quickly. This particular kid was a late-ish reader and had an excellent spoken vocabulary for her age. One of my other kids just did not "get" the end of OPGTR. She was reading words of up to about 6 letters easily, but most longer words were a struggle. We took a break from reading lessons for a year, and she just read books at her level. (She was 6 years old, reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level, and enjoying easy chapter books.) When we came back to it, the lessons with long words were still quite difficult for her. We ended up getting AAR Level 4, which seemed to go more smoothly.

I found that for one of my kids, her reading took off on its own before we got to the end of OPGTR, and the lessons near the end went quickly. This particular kid was a late-ish reader and had an excellent spoken vocabulary for her age. One of my other kids just did not "get" the end of OPGTR. She was reading words of up to about 6 letters easily, but most longer words were a struggle. We took a break from reading lessons for a year, and she just read books at her level. (She was 6 years old, reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade level, and enjoying easy chapter books.) When we came back to it, the lessons with long words were still quite difficult for her. We ended up getting AAR Level 4, which seemed to go more smoothly.

I expected the last 50 lessons to take us the longest. I wasn't expecting it to click as much as it has. She definitely needs the targeted practice with multisyllable, but once we cover a concept she seems to get it. We'll see how the rest goes. There's still some difficult concepts left and I'm not sure if she'll rush through them as quickly. She really wants to read mystery books and most that I've found (young cam Jansen and even Bones) have longer words than she's used to tackling. But she's motivated which is great to see.

The last 50 lessons are basically just practice in multi syllable words. So it's not like there are lots of concepts to be learned, mostly just fluency to be gained. I say go for it if she wants.

-MeaganS who has completed it twice through and halfway on number 3.

Yeah. That's the practice she really needs. She's wanting to read more complex books but gets frustrated by the longer words. So she definitely will benefit from the last chunk of OPGTR. I just was expecting it to take the longest, not fly through it like she is.

Something's also clicked memory wise. She used to have to sound out a word multiple times before remembering it. Now she usually reads it once or twice and remembers it for future use.