Menu

My dad passed away

PrairieSong

I'm so sorry for your loss - may the Lord bring peace and comfort.   :grouphug:

What a gift you have in your good relationship and memories with him in his later years, and in all of the remembrances of his kindness and devotion to others.  He sounds like an amazing man.

Edited by Denise in IN
  • Like 1

My elderly father passed away suddenly, but not totally unexpectedly. He had a bad heart since suffering a heart attack about fifteen yrs ago. My brother had taken him to a routine cardiologist appt and when they got home Dad collapsed on the garage floor. He wasn't unconscious, but my brother was concerned about a possible fracture and called 911. He had no broken bones, but coded three times at the hospital and the third time they couldn't bring him back even though they did CPR for an hour. They believe it was a stroke, and looking back I think he had been having mini strokes. Anyway, I'm just too tired to go into any more details. I didn't have time to write before because it was so fast. He was gone in just a few hours. The past days have been a blur.

My dad was a workaholic. He loved his profession and caring for people but honestly, as a kid I wasn't that close to him. He was always gone. In the past 25-30 years we had become much closer. Our phone calls were an hour long, at least. He was full of stories. I appreciated him in a way I hadn't as a child. At the visitation and funeral, I was touched by stories from people who had worked with him and people he had cared for. He was a kind, compassionate man and went above and beyond in his care of his patients.

The sadness hits me in waves. We are a close family. It will be OK, but I will miss him so very much. We all will. It hasn't quite sunk in yet that he is really gone.

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Edited to add: I wasn't going to say all this but I just want to share. He was a family physician for several decades, all but his first two years in the same town. He finally retired at nearly 80, and when I read through the retirement cards and letters people gave him, I bawled. What an outpouring of love. He truly cared about each of his patients, about the whole person. He made house calls after most doctors had stopped, into the 2000's. If someone was sick and needed extra care, he'd deliver a jar of my mom's chicken noodle soup to them. At Christmas time he took Mom's delicious vegetable soup to people who didn't have much family around, to brighten their holiday. My sister and I went with him a few times to sing them Christmas carols. Once a woman in respiratory distress called him and couldn't even talk. He could tell who she was just by her breathing, rushed to her house, and took her to the hospital. Another patient couldn't afford an ambulance ride so Dad took him to the hospital in his own car, and returned him home when he was discharged. I'm sure those things wouldn't be allowed today. I could go on and on with stories like that. You get the idea.

He made the world better by being here.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm very sorry for your loss. What a good man your father was!

• Like 1

He AND your mom sound like extra special people who made the world a better place.  I'm sorry for OUR loss.  :0(

May his memory be eternal and his rest with the saints.

I'm sorry!  I love the bio you offered.  I grew up with doctors making house calls - maybe not all the time but they did.   Once such time, I was 10 and not feeling great at all.  The doctor came over.  That visit may have preceded the one and only time I was admitted to the hospital as a child. 

You're Dad sounds like he was well loved.  He sounds like a man of respect and honor. 

• Like 1

:grouphug: What a legacy. I like your sharing his story and I'm sorry that it happened so suddenly. Your knowing what a good and decent man he was and how much he meant to others will always be a bright spot in your story.  :grouphug:   :crying: but I still feel for you. My father passed away 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

My elderly father passed away suddenly, but not totally unexpectedly. He had a bad heart since suffering a heart attack about fifteen yrs ago. My brother had taken him to a routine cardiologist appt and when they got home Dad collapsed on the garage floor. He wasn't unconscious, but my brother was concerned about a possible fracture and called 911. He had no broken bones, but coded three times at the hospital and the third time they couldn't bring him back even though they did CPR for an hour. They believe it was a stroke, and looking back I think he had been having mini strokes. Anyway, I'm just too tired to go into any more details. I didn't have time to write before because it was so fast. He was gone in just a few hours. The past days have been a blur.

My dad was a workaholic. He loved his profession and caring for people but honestly, as a kid I wasn't that close to him. He was always gone. In the past 25-30 years we had become much closer. Our phone calls were an hour long, at least. He was full of stories. I appreciated him in a way I hadn't as a child. At the visitation and funeral, I was touched by stories from people who had worked with him and people he had cared for. He was a kind, compassionate man and went above and beyond in his care of his patients.

The sadness hits me in waves. We are a close family. It will be OK, but I will miss him so very much. We all will. It hasn't quite sunk in yet that he is really gone.

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Edited to add: I wasn't going to say all this but I just want to share. He was a family physician for several decades, all but his first two years in the same town. He finally retired at nearly 80, and when I read through the retirement cards and letters people gave him, I bawled. What an outpouring of love. He truly cared about each of his patients, about the whole person. He made house calls after most doctors had stopped, into the 2000's. If someone was sick and needed extra care, he'd deliver a jar of my mom's chicken noodle soup to them. At Christmas time he took Mom's delicious vegetable soup to people who didn't have much family around, to brighten their holiday. My sister and I went with him a few times to sing them Christmas carols. Once a woman in respiratory distress called him and couldn't even talk. He could tell who she was just by her breathing, rushed to her house, and took her to the hospital. Another patient couldn't afford an ambulance ride so Dad took him to the hospital in his own car, and returned him home when he was discharged. I'm sure those things wouldn't be allowed today. I could go on and on with stories like that. You get the idea.

He made the world better by being here.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I hope the stories are a comfort to you - he sounds like he was a very good man.  I'm sorry about your loss.  Even when a loss something isn't an entirely unexpected the loss is still just as deep, still felt, the person still so very much missed.  ((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))

• Like 1