Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Patty Joanna

Tell me if your dryer balls up the fitted sheets ...

...so it takes 5 minutes to unwind them and then you have to dry them again (and all that they entangled).  My dryer does this; it came with the house.  The dryer at our rental did this too.  I HATE IT.  I want to know if your dryer does this and if it does, tell me the brand so I won't buy it!  

I had a Whirlpool Duet set that we left at the house we moved from a couple of years ago and they were wonderful.  If they still don't ball up the fitted sheets, I'll get another set after I shoot the current washer/dryer.  But if they do, now, tell me.  

And I want brand names.  

The rental was an LG.  The current set is a Samsung.

Our dryer is the cheapest GE model on the market. What my husband does is shake out the sheets before putting them into the tumble dryer. He does that for every item he takes out of the washer. We also have eight dryer balls in the dryer. The items comes out nice and not balled up.

I am lazy when I do the laundry so everything is kind of balled up. My husband does the laundry and I only run a load when bored.

Our dryer is the cheapest GE model on the market. What my husband does is shake out the sheets before putting them into the tumble dryer. He does that for every item he takes out of the washer. We also have eight dryer balls in the dryer. The items comes out nice and not balled up.

I am lazy when I do the laundry so everything is kind of balled up. My husband does the laundry and I only run a load when bored.

I shake everything out between washer and dryer.  :::pout:::

You are a lucky duck.

I have a Frigidaire. Occasionally the sheets are balled up. I always wondered if it has anything to do with how full the whole dryer load is.

• Like 2

I have an LG dryer and my fitted sheets are almost never balled up (I really want to say never w/o the qualifier and I do think that's accurate but I don't want to overstate). But I don't use dryer balls and I usually just wash one set of sheets at a time, nothing else in the load. If I do other things along with the sheets there's absolutely more of a tendency for them to tangle and ball up. I threw a lightweight blanket  in with a load of sheets the other day and it was one huge ball of a tangled up mess. Every time I do that I remind myself never to do it again.

• Like 1

I too shake the sheets before putting them in the dyer. I have a whirlpool and while the sheets are bunched, they are not twisted tightly and I do not have to dry them a second time.

I think it happens the most when there's too many things or if there's smaller items like towels in there too. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens annoyingly often. It's the main thing that makes me wish I still had a clothesline outside.

• Like 2

Somewhat yes.  I've had several dryers and they all did.  One thing that helps is to not dry it with other things.  With other things it seems to be worse.

I don't think that it has anything at all to do with the brand of the dryer.  It has to do with what you put in the dryer and how full it is.  I put only sheets in the dryer and they rarely get balled up.

• Like 5

OP - You're asking about the combination of dryer balls & dryers, right?  If I use my dryer balls (3 or less), YES, the sheets tangle up around the balls and remain damp in my older Maytag.  So now, I don't use the dryer balls with sheets .... they dry on one cycle and it's not wadded up.  If I were you, for my next experiment I'd try either putting more dryer balls in like @Arcadia or not using any dryer balls.

OP - You're asking about the combination of dryer balls & dryers, right?  If I use my dryer balls (3 or less), YES, the sheets tangle up around the balls and remain damp in my older Maytag.  So now, I don't use the dryer balls with sheets .... they dry on one cycle and it's not wadded up.  If I were you, for my next experiment I'd try either putting more dryer balls in like @Arcadia or not using any dryer balls.

I think she is talking about sheets balling up and not dryer balls.

• Like 2

What is a dryer ball? 

I have an LG.  Just yesterday I washed two fitted twin sheets, two pillowcases, and 1 flat twin sheet.  I shake each out as I'm putting each item in the dryer.  I put the drying on "Bulky Bedding" and I had to add another 20 minutes to the setting to get them dry because they tend to bunch up.  Then my daughter said her sheet still wasn't completely dry and put it in for a little longer. 

I think the fitted sheets also have a tendency to trap water from the washer in the pockets created by the elastic that run all along the bottom. 

• Like 1

I untwist everything when I take it out of the washer and again about halfway through drying.  So I guess my answer is yes, my dryer does this--but so did our old one (which was like 20 years old).  It only does it with the king sized sheets--the twin sheets are fine.

• Like 1

What is a dryer ball? 

I have an LG.  Just yesterday I washed two fitted twin sheets, two pillowcases, and 1 flat twin sheet.  I shake each out as I'm putting each item in the dryer.  I put the drying on "Bulky Bedding" and I had to add another 20 minutes to the setting to get them dry because they tend to bunch up.  Then my daughter said her sheet still wasn't completely dry and put it in for a little longer. 

I think the fitted sheets also have a tendency to trap water from the washer in the pockets created by the elastic that run all along the bottom. 

I think it is something you can throw in there that helps prevent static cling? 

What is a dryer ball? 

They're felted wool balls supposed to help with static and soften the fabric. (Think tennis ball covered in wool.) I've seen rubbery ones too. https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Sheep-Premium-Reusable-Softener/dp/B00GA9P5P0

We have an Electrolux, and it only balls up when it's overstuffed. I only do one load of king size sheets or two smaller kid beds at a time.

• Like 1

As a massage therapist I launder a LOT of sheets. Hideous amounts per week.

My tips?

Shake out items

Use dryer balls- I use 6 wool ones but would like to get the larger plastic ones

Don't over fill dryer

I can effectively dry 4-5 twin sheets at a time- without creating more work for myself in having to untangle and use de-wrinkle cycle.

Of course the problem with wool dryer balls is that they get stuck in the fitted sheet pockets, so when I shake out sheets to fold, usually balls go flying.

I hate laundry.

• Like 2

My washer is half the capacity of my dryer. So we tend to run the dryer half full. My husband feels that running the dryer at half load is better so that's how we do it.

What is a dryer ball?

My hubby bought this dryer ball but from Bed Bath & Beyond. https://www.amazon.com/Dryer-Balls-Count-Assorted-Colors/dp/B004W7GNB2

He bought that many because he was experimenting with what is the optimum number for our typical load of laundry. I am sensitive to even unscented dryer sheets so we use dryer balls. He said his shirts come out less wrinkled. My husband is picky about laundry, it is his territory.

• Like 1

I wash sheets one set at a time but I still have to shake them out between the washer and my GE dryer. The shaking helps a lot but sometimes they still come out balled up needing more dryer time.

Sometimes.  I think it's Samsung, but I'm too tired to go down to the basement now and confirm.  And I'm terrible at remembering appliance brands.

I have a Duet.  It's huge, but it still does this somewhat.  And, the pillowcases always end up in the middle of the ball.  The dryer has a "Bulky Items" setting, though, which beeps partway through the cycle to remind you to go down and fluff everything, so that's nice.

• Like 2

OK.  Well, I guess I am just stuck.  All I ever wash/dry is the sheets and pillowcases, no dryer balls, so it is not overload per se.  However, someone upthread pointed out that it happens only with king size, and I think that might be true here, too.  And maybe I'll try the Bulky Items drying choice and see if that helps.  

Thank you!

• Like 1

OK.  Well, I guess I am just stuck.  All I ever wash/dry is the sheets and pillowcases, no dryer balls, so it is not overload per se.  However, someone upthread pointed out that it happens only with king size, and I think that might be true here, too.  And maybe I'll try the Bulky Items drying choice and see if that helps.  

Thank you!

Mine aren't king size, but they're super deep pocket, flannel, queen size, so they're still pretty big and bulky.  It's probably the same phenomenon.

PS. If they get all wrinkly, you can always iron them!   :lol:

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Mine aren't king size, but they're super deep pocket, flannel, queen size, so they're still pretty big and bulky.  It's probably the same phenomenon.

PS. If they get all wrinkly, you can always iron them!   :lol:

Yeah, THOSE days are gone.  I used to have a laundry room you could play squashing.  Now I have to squash myself into my laundry room.  :::sad face:::  One of us had to go; I don't know why I insisted it be the ironing board--it could have been ME!

• Like 1

Nope, not the fitted sheets, just the fitted mattress pads. 

We have a very old dryer.  I think it is a Kenmore.  It is at least 20 years old.

Then there is the horrible ALMOST NEW dryer at the cabin that balls up everything.  Including, for instance, placemats.  I hate that thing with the fire of 10,000 suns, and it's only a couple of years old.  I forget the brand, but I got it at Lowe's so it can't be a Kenmore.  I mean, (expletive deleted), would you even think that a placemat COULD get balled up?  And then there is the stupid Maytag washer that doesn't even always get the clothes wet, but that you can't check the water level on, because you can't open it while it's got water in it.  I hate that with the fire of no less than 12,000 suns. 

I plan to buy Speed Queen's for the cabin the first chance I get.  I'll probably keep the old stupid washer and use it for dye loads or for a first crack at extremely muddy clothes.  I can't bring myself to give it away or sell or donate it, it is so bad.  Not sure what to do with the drier.  The washer we can use in the basement, but the former basement drier vent is inoperable, and the logical place to install it is an interior wall, so it's not all that easy to figure out where to put it down there.  It works fine for things that are kind of medium sized and fluffy-ish--towels, jeans, that kind of thing.  Sometimes it balls up socks, can you believe that?  We might give it to a charity that mostly washes towels, like a daycare or homeless drop in center, but we will have to make sure they understand what they are getting.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

We have a frigidaire. And yes, the sheets ball up. I have to take them out, shake them out, and put them in again. Stinks, but the dryer does a good job on everything else.