Menu

Anyone do PS for 9th then go back to Homeschool

DS 8th grade has been hs for last few years primarily bc he's accelerated and wanted to take some interest driven classes. That being said he's part time enrolled and always taken 1-2 classes at the local Elem/junior school.

9th grade at the local public high school actually has a large selection of Electives (he's interest in engineering, bio med, culinary , and art)

But the only choices are pt (2 classes max which I prefer him to take hon geo and how bio there's) or full say which is 7 periods and he's take his 3 elective and 4 core.

He knows some of the kids , 9th grade separate building, and we're wanting him to explore career choices. Cons are it's a long day 7-2:30. Wouldn't be able to take dual enrolled classes (would be too much) and of course social garbage that happens in ps.

One idea is try first semester full time ps enrolled if it's totally not working can switch to part time and keep science and math there and test dual enrolled/hs. Or do the whole year and then 10th grade have a better I idea career interests.

Suggestions? Anyone go back and forth how was the paperwork? Did they accept homeschool classes easily in ps high transcript?

Edited by workingmom

I have not gone back and forth (yet), but at my son's high school they do not accept homeschool classes other than those taken with an accredited institution (which, in my opinion, are not homeschool classes).  If I were to homeschool him at any point during high school, he would not be able to get their diploma (so he would need to graduate from our homeschool).

One dd did two years of high school (9th and 10th), then returned to homeschooling.  A second dd did a few months of 9th, then came back home.  The third went to ps for high school, stayed and graduated from there, and overall it was a good experience fo her.

I haven't found a problem taking them out mid-way (the two that came back did a mix of DE and online classes, with only a smattering of home-based courses - they were wanting outside teachers/accountability, which is part of the reason they tried ps in the first place).  For us, it was a one-way street, though.  The ps isn't interested in taking homeschool credits for high school.  One dd (the one who made it through 10th) did see if it would be possible to dual-enroll through the high school rather than as a homeschooler (then she would have gotten their diploma), but they were annoying about her 11th grade credits, even though most of them were outsourced.  They did approve the DE courses and her WH math class, but the AP Spanish class we did, using their own teacher as a tutor with a 4 on the AP test... nope, no credit.  We decided it was waaaay easier to just keep the freedom as homeschoolers to do what we wanted.

Thanks. So high school just emailed and said for the fee high school level courses he did at home for 8th grade they would give a passing credit but not factor into gpa. That's fine for me at this point. I think that option will be open to bring him home 1/2 year if it doesn't work out and should be fine to have this 1/2 credits on his public school transcript and I'd just keep doing the there on our homeschool transcript. But if he loves it then great less paperwork for me and he can play it year by year. Yes for oldest it made sense to keep our freedom and Flexibility and do DE classes and not have to graduate from the hs.

I've seen people having issues because so many more classes offered  these days in schools are ECE.  When I was a student in the 80's only one class I took in public school was DE and that was my senior year Calculus.  Even though it was taught in the school I received credit from our local state college.  Today schools have many more internal DE options, including almost every upper level language class.  The downside I think for former homeschoolers is that the ps cannot accept substitute credits for those classes because they have to adhere strictly to the college or university's curriculum and program.