Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
mshanson3121

Math: unit studies/project based learning?

I'm on a quest to make math come alive for my "Good at math but still hate it" 9 year old son. We just started a neat unit/math project that I found on TPT, Zoo Keeper Math and he is LOVING it - because he loves animals. So, it's making me think maybe I've been doing math all wrong. Maybe I need to approach it in more of a fun, project-basedway to make it applicable and engaging for him. Has anyone ever done this? What are dome links to good math projects/ideas? Or books.

• Like 3

Last year, I stopped using math curriculum with my younger kids (the 6th grader and 3rd grader).  It's been great!  They actually made a ton of math progress this year and they're both enjoying math.  As far as math projects, the 6th grader has worked through several math project books this year.  Our library has a lot of living math books, math readers, math project books that no one seems to check out (but me).  I've been checking these out like crazy!

So, my daily plan this year has been:

1.  Math facts practice

2.  A couple of review arithmetic problems in their notebook

3.  Work on a math project book or living math book 

4.  Teach a new concept on my own and have them practice a couple of problems in their notebooks

I want to add biographies of mathematicians...maybe next year.

There are lots of blogs that have lists of living math books.  One book my dd really enjoyed this year was The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math.  Also, probably more for older kids, but other dd is loving the Murderous Maths series.  

Edited: because I completely lost my mind and thought I had a 7th grader.  Not only is she a 6th grader, she's a very young 6th grader.   :glare:

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 2

I have an e-book coming out next month with a co-author that might be a good fit. It's the first in a series of real-life farm math e-books. My youngest son is the same age as yours and he's having a blast with it. Can you play card games for a month until it's released? ;)

P.S. We'll be offering science, language arts and other freebies on the blogs to go along with the e-books and flesh out the curriculum.

ETA- Book one is now available! Here's a post that tells you more about Farmschooling. It's available for sale on Teachers Pay Teachers and Currclick.:)

Edited by ErinD
  • Like 1

This is the reason why I use Math on the Level. No matter what else going on or how I change my homeschool round, MOTL fits in. Math on the Level is the framework, and I fill it in however I want. The author was actually a person that did unit studies and approached math through that and more project and hands on avenues.

• Like 1

Or if price is a factor, Kitchen Table Math and Family Math -  gives good ideas for more hands on math to put into action

OR

Rebecca Rupps Home Learning Year by Year or Katherine Stouts Maximum Math give good options for more budget framework style to fill in how you want.

• Like 2

A lot of the Newspaper in Education ideas can be applied to other books. http://www.nieteacher.org/#elmsmulti

As said above, Math on the level and Maximum Math are both great.

Ray's Arithmetic and How to Tutor are both free and topical, so easy to grab a chunk from. http://blumenfeld.campconstitution.net

Math Mamoth has a topical version.

The little Strayor Upton books are mixed topic and spiral in general, but most pages are a single topic and a single page can be used.

The free African Waldorf materials have a lot of good ideas. Main lesson blocks are not that different from unit studies. http://www.zukunftsstiftung-entwicklung.de/spenderinnen/download/

Edited by Hunter

That Zoo Keeper math looks terrific! I use really alternative things (living books, Family Math, Ronit Bird, etc.) with my ds, because he's gifted with math SLD. The other thing we do, somewhat to smooth over things that get missed, is use Daily Warm-Up pages from Teacher Created Resources. 

Daily Warm-Ups: Problem Solving Math Grade 4 - TCR3578 « Products | Teacher Created Resources

Daily Warm-Ups: Math, Grade 4 - TCR3962 « Products | Teacher Created Resources

Coordinate Graphing: Creating Geometry Quilts Grade 4 & Up - TCR2493 « Products | Teacher Created Resources

Math Brain Teasers Grade 4 - TCR3754 « Products | Teacher Created Resources

Puzzles and Games that Make Kids Think Grade 4 - TCR2564 « Products | Teacher Created Resources

I make packets and alternate, so maybe 1-2 pages of the warm-ups, then a page of brain teasers, that kind of thing. TCR has LOTS of fun books, and of course you can go up and down the levels. 

Edited by OhElizabeth