Menu

nm

AimeeM

How is her energy?  Any odd symptoms?  

Don't make it about her weight.  I would focus on exercise for health reasons and healthier food options (again, for health reasons).  Find something ya'll can do together?  Many gyms will let kids over 14 come along with you.  Strength training is good.

ETA:  I asked about symptoms because my dd was struggling with some weight gain and it turned out she had hashimoto's disease.  Another one that can cause weight gain is diabetes?  Just a thought.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

I think you could approach the need for physical activity from a health perspective without bringing weight into the conversation. If you are currently homeschooling her then tell her she needs to choose an option for PE and participate consistently.

Some people's bodies just seem set to bigger sizes--I have a sister who has always inclined towards carrying more weight; both her dietary and exercise habits are better than mine, but her natural body type is different.

I would do a general health check up; thyroid problems can lead to weight gain, so have that checked. Ditto for sleep problems. If she has good sleep hours you might look into a sleep study to make sure she is getting good quality sleep.

Anorexia also runs in my family so I am very leary of making an issue of actual body weight.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

if that 80lbs really was in "just a couple years", and she eats sensibly - I would be looking at underlying things.

starting with her thyroid

free t3

free t4

reverse t3

I would never supplement with straight t4 (which is what most western med does) because it is a storage hormone - not the one that is actually used.  it will drive up the rt3  (and it is not pleasant trying to get it back to normal.)

I would also keep helping her find something physical she likes.  as an "artsy" type, would she like yoga?  I do it from dvd for my convenience and the control over the practice.  some are very good at building muscle - and muscle boosts the metabolism to burn more calories.   some practices are also good at stimulation the thyroid.

walking will also make a difference - doesn't have to be heavy team sports.

parking on the far side of a parking lot, taking stairs instead of the elevator, etc.

I was talking to one of ds's teachers - brand new humongous building.  the pants that were tight in sept. were loose two months later. . . . just from walking in the school.

• Like 1

I'd definitely have her thyroid checked.

That said, does she homeschool?  I would require some activity every day even if that is starting with a 30 minute walk.  Maybe together.  And I'd make sure the food I have in the house are good choices. 

How is her energy?  Any odd symptoms?  

Don't make it about her weight.  I would focus on exercise for health reasons and healthier food options (again, for health reasons).  Find something ya'll can do together?  Many gyms will let kids over 14 come along with you.  Strength training is good.

ETA:  I asked about symptoms because my dd was struggling with some weight gain and it turned out she had hashimoto's disease.  Another one that can cause weight gain is diabetes?  Just a thought.

We've had full panels run because of a family history of thyroid issues. All clear. Her energy seems fine. 

She does work out with me at our gym. It isn't consistent right now, but I can make it more consistent pretty easily now that our schedule has simmered down a bit.

• Like 2

Agreeing with the others, if the 80lbs is accurate and only occurred in the last 2 years, get her in to see the pediatrician and have a work up done for underlying issues.  That doesn't mean that exercise or lack there of is not part of the problem but if her dietary practices are sound then it sounds like there is more going on.  Just lack of exercise in a teen would not normally bring on that kind of weight gain.  

ETA since thyroid was checked, have they run any other tests?  

Edited by OneStepAtATime

That's a lot of weight to gain from inactivity alone.

I'm sorry. I thought I mentioned in the post that the good eating habits are relatively new (last couple months) - prior to that she did... well, she's always rather enjoyed food, but once she was off the ADD medication, her foodie habits and eating out of boredom increased ten-fold. Then we had a major move wherein the entire family was relying on nothing but take out for months while we staged and showed our home and subsequently moved.

She hasn't gained any more weight in the past couple months, since she started paying attention to what she ate and how much - she just also hasn't lost.

One thing that might work if you can swing the cost is to see if the gym has a personal trainer and dietitian available.  If they were working with both of you she might be seeing it as more of a females unite, family health improvement thing instead of her weight specifically being targeted.

I'm seriously considering it.

• Like 1

I hate team sports so I would not make her go to team sports. Look for something more fun that is physical. Fencing, dance (there are adult dance classes), bowling, hiking, biking, golfing, tennis, etc. I am sure others have activities. I personally like water aerobics best.

Also, the doctor told me I need to lift weights more. Now, when I put away laundry, I actually strap on wrist weights. They are not heavy ones, just 1.5 pounds each. But shockingly, for me, it makes the whole thing exhausting!

Ice skating is another one that builds muscle and burns fat. 

As part of PE could you try out different activities to find one she likes. 

Walking, Running, Dancing (So many different types of dancing), Rock climbing, Swimming, Synchronized swimming, Skating (Distance and Figure), Down hill skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Wind Surfing, Roller Skating... The list is endless.

So just keep trying out activities. Personally I think the majority of people are more likely to be physically active through out their life, if they find a physical activity they enjoy. For some that might be going to the gym or fitness class. But that is only one option, and personally I find it to be a boring option. 

My personal household rule about this is: Everyone must take part in a physical activity involving other people on a weekly basis.

For me that is dancing. Every Wednesday I do tap and west coast swing. My Dh joins me for a one hour class on Wednesday. He says he enjoys it and has fun once he arrives. 

For Eldest that is running. He really likes long distance running. Twice a week everyone except Dh goes to the running store and goes for a run. Eldest goes for the distance. Youngest and I sometimes run, sometimes help out being a sweeper for the slow group, and sometimes we just go for a walk around town doing errands. 

For Youngest he just does a bit of everything. He runs/walks twice a week, and is all around bouncy. I have told him he has to continue running until he finds something else that involves other people. I know he can run because a few weeks ago he wanted a nice pair of gloves from the running store and I told him that I only buy running gear for people who run. So he then ran 5KM with the group, in about 32 minutes. 

For Dh he goes dancing with me once a week. :) But his big thing is he rides his exercise bike and watches Japanese anime then talks about those shows with his friend during their weekly Japanese class. 

If you are curious my other rule is: Everyone must take part in something mental activity involving other people on a weekly basis. (Where I am not the teacher).

• Like 3

I just enrolled her and I in an adult dance (ballet, tap, core) class a couple days weekly. She's fine with doing it as long as I do it -- and these classes cater to all different ages and body types and is a reputable studio. 

Thanks guys! 

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 6

What is your reasoning for this rule?

I have read several studies about the numerous and varied benefits of social activities, and physical ones. 

Basically if you are part of a social group you will live a longer healthier life. The same goes for being physically active. So I just combined those two things into one and made a house rule. 

Some of the benefits include:

- Less likely to develop a long list of health problems including depression, dementia 

- Less likely to need certain surgeries (hip and knee replacement)

- Faster recovery from healthy problems and surgeries

- Less likely to become addicted to various substances (drugs, alcohol... )

Some of the benefits are very minor, others are larger. They are all inter-related. For example if you attend a weekly tap dancing class. You will have stronger legs, denser bones, and a better sense of balance. This means you are less likely to fall. If you do fall you will be less likely to break anything since you will fall in a more controlled manner and have stronger bones. If you do break something you will heal faster since you are more physically fit. Since you have been attended the class for a long time you might have a friend or two in the class who will drop by and visit you, also speeding your recovery. You will also work harder to get better faster so you can return to attending the class that you are missing. Since you recover faster you will be taking medications for a shorter period of time and are less likely to become addicted to those drugs. 

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/participating-activities-you-enjoy

I think I also saw a TED talk on the subject. I'll see if I can find it. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to add in a HUGE vote of support for family physical activity. 

Here are a few things not mentioned yet:

- Children who see parents physically active are more likely be active themselves

- Children who start being physically active at a young age are much more likely to continue to be physically active into adulthood

- Studies have shown participation in physical activity is positively related to academic performance in children (http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/1107683?resultClick=1)

We've had full panels run because of a family history of thyroid issues. All clear. Her energy seems fine. 

She does work out with me at our gym. It isn't consistent right now, but I can make it more consistent pretty easily now that our schedule has simmered down a bit.

what tests were run? 

did she have

t3

t4

reverse t3

? western med rarely runs them with the patient pushing,  let alone with no one actually asking for them.  my dr lied to me about running them - and I only found out after I got my results back and she ran something completely different.

and I'd do a 24 hour cortisol.  (adrenals).

for exercise - I would focus on muscle building.

what tests were run? 

did she have

t3

t4

reverse t3

? western med rarely runs them with the patient pushing,  let alone with no one actually asking for them.  my dr lied to me about running them - and I only found out after I got my results back and she ran something completely different.

and I'd do a 24 hour cortisol.  (adrenals).

for exercise - I would focus on muscle building.

I'm not sure. We told him about the family history of thyroid diseases and he said that the panels included testing for those things.