Menu

WHA Class Book/Text Lists

They've been using something for awhile, but didn't update the page to reflect their choices. The teacher took pains to show us (guests during the Open House) which book she uses in Span 3. She also showed one of the books she uses in Span 4, but I didn't catch it. They usually list the books on the registration page, but they aren't always updated/correct if the teacher is making changes.

Some of the subjects don't list required books at all like Fundamentals of Academic writing (formerly Honors Comp) & Lang Arts Level 4 (FOEW). It wouldn't be that hard to update the lists.

I will say that one of the things I don't like about Wilson Hill's classes is the lack of a detailed syllabus. Canvas lists the assignments as you go, but not out very far usually. It makes it hard to plan!

• Like 3

I will say that one of the things I don't like about Wilson Hill's classes is the lack of a detailed syllabus. Canvas lists the assignments as you go, but not out very far usually. It makes it hard to plan!

Yes, this is an issue I have with WHA. Not providing a syllabus and book list at registration is not acceptable in my opinion, especially with their extremely rigid refund policy. Booklists are often not available until past the time for a full refund upon withdrawal.  

Other online providers are able to do produce this information before registration. Not sure why this is an issue for WHA.  

• Like 5

Yes, this is an issue I have with WHA. Not providing a syllabus and book list at registration is not acceptable in my opinion, especially with their extremely rigid refund policy. Booklists are often not available until past the time for a full refund upon withdrawal.  

Other online providers are able to do produce this information before registration. Not sure why this is an issue for WHA.  

I can see book lists for changing or new classes (Honors Comp/FoEW?) not being set, yet. For ongoing classes (Spanish?), though, I agree... I have no idea why those aren't posted. You could contact them and ask. Maybe the Spanish book list slipped through the cracks?

I wish all online providers provided as complete syllabi as WTMA...... one document with the course description, a list of texts, a list/description of the types of assignments (essay, summary, etc), and even a general schedule of what books/chapters will be read when. Having a general schedule that shows how many weeks are spent on each book in a literature class or on each chapter of a textbook for a history class gives a great idea of the pace of the class. Knowing the types and number of assignments for a class gives a great idea of the level of expectations for a class.

I also wish all online providers had class visit days like WHA just had. I'd never have appreciated WHA's Rhetoric I class as much from seeing its syllabus & book list as I do now that I've actually sat in on it!

Maybe some day......

• Like 6

I wish all online providers provided as complete syllabi as WTMA...... one document with the course description, a list of texts, a list/description of the types of assignments (essay, summary, etc), and even a general schedule of what books/chapters will be read when. Having a general schedule that shows how many weeks are spent on each book in a literature class or on each chapter of a textbook for a history class gives a great idea of the pace of the class. Knowing the types and number of assignments for a class gives a great idea of the level of expectations for a class.

:iagree:

• Like 2

Not to mention that the price of the courses is still not published. Registration for current students opens tomorrow, and I still cannot find the 2017-18 tuition listed anywhere on their website. Am I missing it???

I did write to one of the precalc teachers about the calculator required because I did NOT want to have to purchase a new one. It seems that it would be MUCH easier on the teachers if all of this information was listed in the course descriptions so that they would not have to answer a zillion different emails about these types of things. 

• Like 2

Not to mention that the price of the courses is still not published. Registration for current students opens tomorrow, and I still cannot find the 2017-18 tuition listed anywhere on their website. Am I missing it???

I did write to one of the precalc teachers about the calculator required because I did NOT want to have to purchase a new one. It seems that it would be MUCH easier on the teachers if all of this information was listed in the course descriptions so that they would not have to answer a zillion different emails about these types of things. 

I don't think they publish the tuition anywhere other than on the registration pages. Let us know about the calculator requirement . . . I don't think I noticed that!

Edited to add: Did they change the book they are using for Pre-Calc next year? It looks like a different one than they previously had listed!

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

I don't think they publish the tuition anywhere other than on the registration pages. Let us know about the calculator requirement . . . I don't think I noticed that!

Edited to add: Did they change the book they are using for Pre-Calc next year? It looks like a different one than they previously had listed!

Mrs. Stublen said that my son's TI-84 Plus CE was fine for precalc.

I saw on the high school forum, RootAnn, that you asked about the textbook.

I'm nervous about the price of it. If the solutions manual is required, too, then we are talking some serious money for text and sm. 

And I still don't know what the course is going to cost!!!!

Mrs. Stublen said that my son's TI-84 Plus CE was fine for precalc.

I saw on the high school forum, RootAnn, that you asked about the textbook.

I'm nervous about the price of it. If the solutions manual is required, too, then we are talking some serious money for text and sm. 

It looks like the answers are available on the internet. Or, am I wrong about what that site has?

We don't have graphing calculators and I honestly don't expect to get one. Both DH & I got through college (both engineering majors) without them and the availability of graphing websites for when you really want to double check the graph for homework makes me even less likely to buy one at this point. If WHA is moving more toward graphing calculators (which often means less understanding even when they don't intend that to be the result), I'm probably just going to use one or both of the pre-calc texts I already have to teach it myself at home.

I'm a bit upset right now, actually, and not a little disappointed. Mrs. Stublen has offered to explain the reasoning behind the change. I might take her up on it, but I'm not sure if it'll influence my decision about (not) having dd take pre-calc at WHA. 

It looks like the answers are available on the internet. Or, am I wrong about what that site has?

We don't have graphing calculators and I honestly don't expect to get one. Both DH & I got through college (both engineering majors) without them and the availability of graphing websites for when you really want to double check the graph for homework makes me even less likely to buy one at this point. If WHA is moving more toward graphing calculators (which often means less understanding even when they don't intend that to be the result), I'm probably just going to use one or both of the pre-calc texts I already have to teach it myself at home.

I'm a bit upset right now, actually, and not a little disappointed. Mrs. Stublen has offered to explain the reasoning behind the change. I might take her up on it, but I'm not sure if it'll influence my decision about (not) having dd take pre-calc at WHA.

My older DDs who both took pre-calc at PS jokingly refer to it as Pre-CALCULATOR rather than pre-calculus class. The calculator dependence is real and to be avoided. I continually challenged them to learn how to function without their calculators, but even though they agreed with me, it was an uphill battle.

• Like 1

$650 this year for most of them. $800 for the Great Conversations classes.

ETA:  As I suspected, the class registration page lists the textbooks for the Spanish classes. Not sure why they don't update the main website pages!

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

$650 this year for most of them. $800 for the Great Conversations classes.

ETA: As I suspected, the class registration page lists the textbooks for the Spanish classes. Not sure why they don't update the main website pages!

For $800 I think I'll go with CLRC if I had to do a GC class. Smaller class size, more intensive writing, and true monthly payment plan.

• Like 3

For $800 I think I'll go with CLRC if I had to do a GC class. Smaller class size, more intensive writing, and true monthly payment plan.

The $800 price tag definitely does make one think twice about other options.

My daughter did a Great Books (Greeks) study last year in 8th, so I was looking for a Medieval Great Books course for next year. When I saw that Joanna Hensley will be teaching GC 4 (ancients) in the fall, I dropped everything else and signed my dd up for that!  One can study ancients for more than one year, right?! I figure she'll get more out of the works she's already read by doing a second pass at them. She hasn't read about 2/3 of the GC books, so there's plenty of new material. But, bottom line, the express reason I registered her for the GC 4 course was because studying this material with Mrs. Hensley is too good an opportunity to pass up!

ETA: I do hope the writing component of the GC courses has been beefed up. That's been my only disappointment with WHA's Great Books courses--the weak writing aspect.  I get the impression that WHA has been working on ways to improve the writing for the GC courses. Last year, they tried a supplementary writing lab, but I guess it was too separate from the actual GC course. Kudos to them for trying, though!

Sadly, weak writing in online Great Books courses seems to be pretty prevalent. The writing in Escondido's GB courses was better, with a substantial essay/paper every month, with a solid topic, specifically related to the texts read that month. Even then, though, in the first year, students' writing was reviewed by TA's, not by the instructor. My dd happened to have a wonderful TA who gave some good feedback, but it's not the same as having feedback from an experienced adult.

My theory is that _discussing_ the GB with teens is the fun part for the instructor. Having to read all those essays and provide useful, substantive feedback and guide students to better writing would be _hard_ work.  If I were teaching a lit class, I'd be all over the discussion side!

Working on the writing is the real, down in the trenches work. So I think a lot of the writing that should be going on if these are going to be called "rigorous," "college preparatory" courses gets glossed over.

Maybe it comes down to cost. Teaching writing is time & labor intensive. $800 for a course seems expensive to us, esp. compared to other courses. But maybe it's not enough to cover the time a teacher would need to put into writing instruction/feedback?  Instructors at a private, b&m, college prep high school can't get away with glossing past the writing in a lit or a history or pretty much any humanities course. The administration, the board, the parents would be up in arms!  But, instructors at a private, b&m, college prep high school probably get paid more than even the most wonderful online instructors, making the time the b&m teachers have to put into writing worth it.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 3