Menu

Is there such a school anywhere in the country?

Is there a school that would fit the bill for:

1. has to be east of Mississippi

2. smallish- under 10,000 students preferred

3. has to have engineering- chemical engineering and/or material engineering and/or petroleum engineering etc.

4. conservative student/teacher body

5. can be private or public

So far I have not found one. Am I missing something? Would love some help from moms who have experience and already gone through the college searching stage?

Thank you very much in advance.

Is there a school that would fit the bill for:

1. has to be east of Mississippi

2. smallish- under 10,000 students preferred

3. has to have engineering- chemical engineering and/or material engineering and/or petroleum engineering etc.

4. conservative student/teacher body

5. can be private or public

So far I have not found one. Am I missing something? Would love some help from moms who have experience and already gone through the college searching stage?

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by housemouse

UA-Huntsville and TN Tech are 2 that come to mind right away. I don't know that they are conservative, but they are about as conservative as a public college campus is going to ever be.

My dd attends UAH. She definitely finds that the student body leans conservative. Which is not necessarily a plus for her, lol. 

Missouri University of Science and Technology, 7,000 students, mostly engineering, small town in conservative area.

Alas, NORTH of Mississippi. not sure how important the "East" part is.

FYI, in this context, "East of Mississippi" means east of the Mississippi River, not the state of Mississippi.

FYI, in this context, "East of Mississippi" means east of the Mississippi River, not the state of Mississippi.

The school I mentioned is about 80 miles West of the river.

Why does the side of the Mississippi matter to the OP? There are bridges ;)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Rose-Hulman is a Private Engineering school. Mostly conservative but also not horribly prejudicial to liberals. They have about 2000 students just outside Terre Haute Indiana.  The town is home to ISU (not very selective) which is public but also has a more conservative feel to it (or did 20 years ago when SIL attended). 

ISU is not conservative if my newly graduated DIL is any indication. I think most Indiana schools will have pockets of conservatives. For most people, it's better to find your "tribe" with housing and clubs, regardless of where you go to school.

Another thought- depending on what aspects of being conservative OP is looking for, they could run into problems with say, petroleum engineering and a YEC worldview. That may be why they aren't finding what they seek?

Edited by elladarcy

Another thought- depending on what aspects of being conservative OP is looking for, they could run into problems with say, petroleum engineering and a YEC worldview. That may be why they aren't finding what they seek?

If YEC is what is being asked, I can't imagine there is an engineering ABET program that meets that definition. (But, YEC is not what I think of when someone says they are looking for a conservative campus.)

If YEC is what is being asked, I can't imagine there is an engineering ABET program that meets that definition. (But, YEC is not what I think of when someone says they are looking for a conservative campus.)

Good point, if they are simply looking to avoid an extremely rowdy, socially liberal campus, that is something different. Where we are in the Midwest, "conservative" would typically mean religiously conservative.

Rose Hulman, Kettering, and Michigan Tech all somewhat fit the bill. All have ChemE. We have visited and/or have friends' children at all three. Though the colleges themselves are not purposefully conservative, they attract mostly midwest upper-middle-class students  who are fairly conservative comparatively speaking.

Oldest is at Olin. It's a very small engineering school. It's not conservative, but people are actually tolerant of each other's views. Compared to middle dd's experience in Ann Arbor at least, it seems very unique. :D

I posted about Calvin College on the other thread.