Menu

cross posted All About Reading?

I know there is probably a million threads on AAR but my searching only brought up one that was 4 years old.

I just bought AAS and am very impressed with it and am looking forward to using it this year with my children ( school year starts Wednesday here in Victoria, AUS) 

I have looked at AAR and am pretty impressed- I have been using LEM an australianised version of Spalding and it is tedious, not fun drill that has disengaged ds13

I have a practically no reading ds13 with dyslexia ( can read chapter books but cannot comprehend what he reads, he describes it that the word goes into his head and instantly vanishes )

a new arrival 8 who due to multiple disruptions / placement shifts etc is working at beginning grade 1 level - can read Bob books box 3 with  errors ( will be homeschooled one day a week and will be doing mostly remedial work) 

and 2 almost six year olds who have global developmental delays in all areas and are functioning at age beginning 4. ( after almost 2 years of daily letter work they still only know 5 letters of the alphabet)

Because of the cost of shipping , currency conversion etc to get pre-reading through to level 3 will cost me over $1000. for me that is A LOT OF MONEY .

I was thinking of putting ds13 in level 2 and as he knows all his  phonograms I am hoping he will move through it very quickly 

So my questions

Is the pre-reading worth the money? or is it basically just alphabet cards and colour in sheets? we already have alphabet colour in books and multiple sets of alphabet cards

is there any other advice anyone would like to share?

thank you 

Might be time to look into technology for Mr 13. If you can't beat it, avoid it. :(

we will be doing technology for ds13, but I just don't want to give up completely on him yet. He has older brothers who started reading around 11-13

He just told me the other day that he is starting to get better at reading  and I have noticed just in the last week that he is reading words that are around  everywhere 

• Like 3

There is a bit of oral phonemic awareness work (rhymes, segmenting sounds, etc.) in AAR Pre, but the bulk of the program is alphabet cards and coloring/craft sheets. It goes through the alphabet three times; capital letters first, lower case second, and then the initial sound of each letter for the third go 'round.

I like the program for my not-quite four year old who wasn't ready for AAR 1 yet because it's open and go enough for me to grab in the few moments his two younger siblings are occupied, but I wouldn't say it's worth the money for international shipping.

• Like 1

Have you looked at logic of English? I bring it up as an option since you can buy a lot of it digitally and that would save a fair bet of money.

I only have experience with the second edition of the Essential book. I bought only the teachers guide and student book. The teachers guide makes mention of cards and what they look like so I was able to just make them without buying them. I bought it for my then struggling 7 year old who showed signs of dyslexia. And we very much say it helped him. It's very teacher intensive and I have to be in the right mood and mindset but we have been making our way through. It's been a little over a year and he has gone from barely able to read Frog and Toad to reading Boxcar children books for enjoyment.

• Like 1