Menu

Now that was fun -- guaranteed admit for a transfer student

G5052

They said it would be easy. LIES!

Frankly it was as much work as the college applications we did. Essay, recommendations, had to resend AP/CLEP scores (I just LOOOVE the College Board website), and his transcripts because he's had to attend two neighboring community colleges in order to get the classes lined up.

And they wanted a high school code and the application wouldn't take any search combination I could figure -- homeschool, home school, etc. etc.

We both called off-and-on for a week and couldn't get through. Emails never answered.

I finally got through Friday by repeatedly calling right when they opened until I got someone.

The high school code wanted "Home Schooled" exactly that way. Then it filled in the right number.

OK, it's all in.

Now we wait and see if it's right. 

• Like 6

I went through the transfer process with dd2 two years ago. It was HARD. All the forms and deadlines are set up for freshman, not transfer students. You do everything correctly and then find out that on line 2 of page 17  the directions say that transfer students need to do it this other way....... And even the admissions office doesn't know its own procedures for transfers.....

Best wishes.

BTW, dd is having a GREAT experience after three semesters at her new school. The pain really was worth it........

Dd ended up with on-campus housing, but when I transferred many many years ago as a transfer I was ineligible for on-campus housing..... Do investigate that!

Edited by Gwen in VA
  • Like 4

When it's time to apply for on-campus housing, look carefully at the options.  There may be better dorms reserved for returning students which your non-freshman transfer student could live in, too, but you may not find that info on the website.  It might take a call to the housing office. 

• Like 1

SO sorry that was such a headache!

I have to confess that when DS#1 transferred, we had the complete opposite experience -- it was crazy easy. Rolling applications, so no stress about deadlines, and it's a smaller school, so after the college rep took us on the tour, she sat down with us on site and filled out all the paperwork, both admission and scholarship applications, right then and there. After we got home, DS only had to go to the community college and request an official transcript to be sent, and email a copy of his immunization record. And something else that I can't recall now... But that was it.

• Like 1

They said it would be easy. LIES!

Frankly it was as much work as the college applications we did. Essay, recommendations, had to resend AP/CLEP scores (I just LOOOVE the College Board website), and his transcripts because he's had to attend two neighboring community colleges in order to get the classes lined up.

And they wanted a high school code and the application wouldn't take any search combination I could figure -- homeschool, home school, etc. etc.

We both called off-and-on for a week and couldn't get through. Emails never answered.

I finally got through Friday by repeatedly calling right when they opened until I got someone.

The high school code wanted "Home Schooled" exactly that way. Then it filled in the right number.

I hate to hear what they consider difficult. I understand the transcripts, and the AP/CLEP scores if they were for the courses required for the guaranteed admit. However, I can't understand the essay/recommendations for a guaranteed admit. What does guaranteed mean? Guaranteed that you can apply? 

Then to add insult to injury with the high school code and the unresponsiveness.