Menu

In search of Funny movies and books

lewber

All this bad news and January weather is getting me down!

I need funny movies for DH, DS14 and me, and books for just me. I need to break this grumpy, sad mood.

Today we watched Napolean Dynamite - it was definitely good for some needed humor. Any other ideas?

Netflix has some of the comedian Jim Gaffigan's stuff.  It's mostly clean.  My dh and ds14 have been watching it (and I do when I have the time) and say there's a few words here and there, and ds14 said there's one small bit about "a product used to enlarge body parts."  He didn't want to elaborate to me beyond that.  :)

• Like 2

Movies that I've loved for many years that most people know of but maybe you've missed are:

1.  Groundhog Day

2.  Princess Bride

3.  UHF

4.  (Superman III--ds14 said that to be silly.  He says the movie is soooo bad that it's funny.)

5.  Mr. Bean episodes

6.  Police Squad episodes (on youtube.)

7.  Fawlty Towers--old British comedy and it's good.  Some old British comedy isn't funny, but I like this series a lot.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

10.  The Office.  Some people prefer the British version (which I loathe) and others prefer the US version. You'll have to try them and see.  They're on Netflix (they used to have both versions, but I haven't checked lately.)

11.  Seinfeld---we have it on Crackle, but not sure where else it might be.  They a limited number of episodes per month, so when you've watched those 10 or 11, wait for the next month to offer 10 or 11 new ones.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Agreed! It makes all of us laugh out loud. It's not G-rated, but nothing I personally would hesitate to let a teen see.

Exactly. My teen son loves it & has watched it for years now.

They are awesome at improv & I'm always laughing hysterically during the shows.

• Like 1

Funny movies: Better Off Dead, Kicking and Screaming, Overboard, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Talladega Nights (I know, but it makes me laugh)

Funny books: James Herriot books are my standard recommendation--start with All Creatures Great and Small. Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte is also amusing.  :)

• Like 2

My kids and I love the British TV series Black Books. It's very clean in language, though there is a good deal of drinking and smoking. Sadly, they only did 3 seasons.

Psych

Corner Gas (A Canadian sit com available on youtube. It's set in Saskatchewan. Very clean humour and language.)

I also like The IT Crowd, another British TV series, but it's not for everyone. There is some language.

• Like 1

Funny movies: Better Off Dead, Kicking and Screaming, Overboard, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Talladega Nights (I know, but it makes me laugh)

Funny books: James Herriot books are my standard recommendation--start with All Creatures Great and Small. Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte is also amusing.  :)

Now I want to re-watch the scenes with Mike Meyer's "Scottish father." So funny!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Now I want to re-watch the scenes with Mike Meyer's "Scottish father." So funny!

There was a red headed boy in my kids' karate class who looked like the little brother. I constantly had "Heed!" related dialogue running through my head when I watched their class.

• Like 1

Two Gordon Korman books that I still reread as an adult are Son of Interflux and Don't Care High. Funny premises and writing, more teen and up than some of his other stuff.

I just watched Cuban Fury on Netflix on a gray day and it helped.

Erica in OR

Edited by Erica in OR

I think Cat in the Hat with Mike Myers is hilarious. I laugh every time I watch it. It's my kind of humor. ;)

I think Anchorman is really funny too.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective.

Happy Gilmore with Adam Sandler.

The Johhny English movies were pretty funny too.

these are all older - some going back to the 30s.

support your local sheriff

cold comfort farm

the princess bride

bringing up baby  (baby is a jaguar)

how to marry a millionaire

gentlemen prefer blondes

boys night out.

the great race

the original lady killers with alec guiness.

kind hearts and coronets    alec guiness plays all of the d'asycones.

1952 version of the importance of being earnest

basically a hodge podge of the plays of plautus.  a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

casablanca isn't seen as a comedy so much-  but the repartee!!!!  ooh, lala

I also really like the philadephia story for repartee.  another katharine hepburn, cary grant, and jimmy stewart.  (his performance oscar)

• Like 1

I've read the books and they're great.  Are they also shows?

It was a series in the 90's, starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry.  Hilarious. Worth rewatching zillions of times and memorizing the songs (yes, songs; Hugh Laurie sings and plays the piano).  Our go-to cheerer upper.

• Like 1