Menu

High school suggestions for former hs in San Antonio?

Renthead Mommy

If someone was looking for a high school in San Antonio for a former homeschooler, currently in 9th grade in a small (500) charter hs leaning towards film/video/computer arts what would you suggest? Not interested in 2,000 person public schools at all if it can be helped.

Can't ask IRL as their are rules and regs issues still at this point.

To the few that know me in real life - PLEASE do not say anything about this on FB!!

Let's go with if you could chose any hs in the city what would you pick? Top three choices. Location not an issue.

Edited by Renthead Mommy

I'd go with this one, in the Northside ISD:

https://nisd.net/schools/info/14

ETA: A better website: https://nisd.net/communicationsarts/

I should mention that this is a public school. I'm not familiar with many of the city's private schools (other than special needs schools).

There are many school districts in SA. NISD is the best one (a close tie would be NEISD). (Actually, Alamo Heights ISD is probably "the best", but that is the part of town where property values are really high and where the "old money" lives. More power to you if you can live there!)

This particular school is located in the section of the city that is growing and where property values are increasing. Also, this is a magnet school attached to the larger Taft High School, but these magnet schools are smaller and more intimate.

ETA again: The deadline to apply for admission is quickly approaching. Looks like February 7th is the deadline.

Edited by Kinsa

Thanks.  I had no idea there was more than one school district and I lived there for two years.  

:laugh: 

If you are not used to large cities, or at least school systems in large cities, it can be a surprise to realize how many school districts there are.

San Antonio is massive.  It is around the 7th largest city in the U.S.  There are a LOT of school districts.  :)

:laugh:

If you are not used to large cities, or at least school systems in large cities, it can be a surprise to realize how many school districts there are.

San Antonio is massive. It is around the 7th largest city in the U.S. There are a LOT of school districts. :)

I am used to very large cities, but I had no idea SA treated it like a bunch of smaller cities. That would be easier, pick the best city with best schools. But this is crazy. What makes the best school system down there?

So which is the best school system in SA?

As I stated above, I'd go with either Northside ISD or Northeast ISD of I were choosing. Alamo Heights would be ideal, but I'm not made of money, so that one's out. LOL

I am used to very large cities, but I had no idea SA treated it like a bunch of smaller cities. That would be easier, pick the best city with best schools. But this is crazy. What makes the best school system down there?

Not all states do this, apparently, but Texas allows the formation of multiple independent school districts within a city.  The cities don't run them.  I am not certain of the exact mechanism for zoning or formation of a school district but this might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Texas

Also, San Antonio actually IS a formation of a bunch of smaller cities.  That may be part of the reason.  The City of San Antonio has the ability to annex neighboring towns.  That is a large part of how it has grown so large.  It annexed its neighbors.

And some are incorporated cities within the Greater Metropolitan area.  Alamo Heights, for instance, is an incorporated city that is part of the Greater San Antonio Metropolitan area so San Antonio kind of surrounded it.

As I stated above, I'd go with either Northside ISD or Northeast ISD of I were choosing. Alamo Heights would be ideal, but I'm not made of money, so that one's out. LOL

I LOVED the Alamo Heights area!  HEB Central Market was my favorite place to shop.  Good to know it has a decent school system. Not much to compare this time of year, but the few that showed were decent enough.  

First time we have ever had to look for housing based on a school so I am out of my depth here.  

Be aware that while you *can* apply to almost any magnet within a public school no matter where you live in San Antonio, preference will be given to student within the school district *and* you may have to pay a few thousand a year if your kid is accepted and you don't live within the ISD.  Bussing is also only provided for kids who live within the ISD.  For what that student is interested in, Communications Arts is probably the best choice.  Most of the magnets are not self-contained, however.  Most of the magnets involve a certain number of special classes each year with only magnet students and then the rest of the classes are with the general population of the high school.  Also, because of the magnet classes filling up their schedule, many magnet kids have to take summer school classes for things like PE and health in order to get all the requirements to graduate.  It looks like Communications Arts is very competitive so it is ONLY open to people living within Northside's boundary.  There is no option for out of ISD.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 1