Menu

If you knew in advance that a job loss was coming. . .

La Condessa

Cut expenses every way possible and sell the difference

Reach out to former coworkers

Listen to the following Radical Personal Finance episodes:

Ep 193 - Make a backup plan in case you get laid off

Ep 194 - You just got laid off. Here's what to do next

Ep 390 - How and why to engineer your layoff

https://radicalpersonalfinance.com/?s=Layoff

1.  Get all dental and health care needs taken care of immediately.

2.  Cut back drastically on all spending possible and save, save, save.

3.  Start looking at ways to bring in money in other ways besides a regular job (garage sale, part time seasonal work, or even more drastic things like selling the family home and moving into much cheaper digs).

4.  If you have a new car with a big car payment, consider selling it and getting a cheaper vehicle or using public transportation if it is easily accessible and reliable.

5.  If you have an older car, get an inspection, replace any worn tires, etc.  Get it in tip top shape in case you have no ability to replace it for a very long time.  A bit of invested dollars ahead of issues can be much cheaper than trying to fix a problem after the fact.

6.  Clean up resumes.

7.  Exercise.  Seriously.  This can help with depression over losing employment but it can also improve health and health care needs may get challenging.  

8.  If you aren't great at cost effective healthy meal planning, start now.  Find recipes that are healthy and cheap and that are easy to make two of and freeze.  Eat one, freeze the second.  Do that at least 3 days a week and you will have a stock pile of meals you can turn to quickly without having to resort to eating out on very long, stressful days.

9.  If there are things on a work computer that you need and have the right to keep with you, copy them now.  

10.  Look around and see if there are any skills that could be gained/improved/updated to make a person more marketable.  Maybe there are some local cheap classes that could be taken.

11.  Clean up any social media posts. (future employers may check, going back months).

12.  Find out (if you can) whether health insurance will be cut off right away.

13.  If possible, pay off credit cards completely.  You may need them in an emergency.  Make sure you have the lowest interest rate possible and if you don't try to negotiate it down or change cards now.

14.  If you don't have a credit card, apply now.

15.  If you have multiple short term loans, look at consolidating them within one low rate loan.

16.  Look realistically at your financial situation.  If the job were to end tomorrow, how long could you function realistically with no new job?  Crunch the numbers as accurately as you can.  Don't do a lot of general ballparking.  Use hard numbers as much as possible. Then look at ways to stretch that.  Make a list.  Brainstorm.  Every little bit counts.

• Like 9

It looks like dh is losing his job at the end of June, so we have several months before then to look for other employment.  We have a little set aside in an emergency fund ($1,600, but some of that needs to go to some dental work for ds)--mostly we have thrown everything we could at working to pay down school debt.  If I start setting aside our extra monthly debt payment into savings, I can have another $2000 set aside by July.  We are already living on a pretty frugal budget.  There isn't much fat to trim, excepting the children's extracurricular/homeschooling fund, which I would really hate to cut if it can be avoided.

Dh's car was totaled a few weeks ago, so we now have a car payment on the new (used) car; the family van is paid off.  The credit card has a zero balance.  We do not own a home; we are renters.  We do have generous relatives with extra room offering for us to come and live with them (three different homes, actually), so if he cannot find something by July, we can stay with them to save on housing costs.  This will, however, make interviewing for new jobs more difficult, as it would mean moving out of the state dh is licensed to work in.  We might consider getting certified in another state to expand his potential employment area, but this would take a significant chunk of our emergency funds.

Do all the things suggested that will not be a mistake if your dh is not laid off.

E.g.: it never hurts to be frugal. But, depenonding on your market, it might be dumb to sell the house. In our market, if you sell, you will never get back on the house-0price escalator.

And if possible, find alternative income sources.

:0(

I'm sorry for this worry in your life. I'm impressed that you are preparing to meet it head-on.

.  If I start setting aside our extra monthly debt payment into savings, I can have another $2000 set aside by July.  We are already living on a pretty frugal budget.  There isn't much fat to trim, excepting the children's extracurricular/homeschooling fund, which I would really hate to cut if it can be avoided.

You should definitely do this.^^^

Dh's car was totaled a few weeks ago, so we now have a car payment on the new (used) car; the family van is paid off.  The credit card has a zero balance.  We do not own a home; we are renters.  We do have generous relatives with extra room offering for us to come and live with them (three different homes, actually), so if he cannot find something by July, we can stay with them to save on housing costs.  This will, however, make interviewing for new jobs more difficult, as it would mean moving out of the state dh is licensed to work in.  That sounds very problematic. We might consider getting certified in another state to expand his potential employment area, but this would take a significant chunk of our emergency funds.

What's the market like for your DH's skill set?

cut all unnecessary expenses. if that means cut cable - yes.  reconfigure cell phone plans (generally, a cell phone for business contacts is a plus.  some plans are much cheaper than others.)

cut back on processed food - cook more from scratch (it's also healthier).

cut back on any entertainment.

really reevalute where a dollar goes in a month - there's a lot more discretion there than you may realized.

• Like 1

Start investigating safety net services NOW, unemployment, food stamps, heating cost rebates, Medicaid, local non-profit programs and charities, etc. The application process and paperwork for these things can be daunting. It's best to have read the application guidelines ahead of time, and make sure you have all your documentation in order, rather than scramble when it's time. These programs usually don't prorate.

If you qualify for any food stamps, even if it is $3 a month, start the application process now. The initial application can take weeks and weeks (or months and months) and can hiccup along the way. Get it in order, and then file a change in income when your DH is laid off.

Network, network, network. Tell people your DH will be entering the job market. Sell his skills while your at it. "He made a bunch of sales last year, including two huge contracts, but they're moving sales to another department, and he'll be out, can you believe it?"

Look for a part-time job for yourself, now. Even if it's at McDonald's, they're always eager to get dependable adult workers, and you can limit your schedule to a few odd hours, like Sunday evenings/nights. If your DH gets laid off, you can bump that up to more hours, and you'll be over initial review period and already have a small raise added to your pay. Even if the paycheck isn't much, being able to produce any paystub smooths the rails immensely when making applications for assistance from the government and most non-profits.

:grouphug:

• Like 6

Definitely quit paying extra toward debt and save that. Will he get some sort of severance or be eligible for unemployment?

Cut your expenses as mentioned above. I would cut out extra curriculars for the kids for now. This is temporary but you want a roof over your head and food in the table until a new job comes along.

I'm sorry you are facing this!

Realistically consider all your possible out of state moves, including the cost of moving and the cost of qualifying your DH at the destination. Consider the job market in DH's feild and his potential social network (for social job seeking) in each locale, and all the implications of making that area your new home after he is hired.

Settle on your top choice (other than staying where you are) and choose a date when you will commit to saying 'moving is better than staying'.

Purge your belongings so you can expect yourself to be light-on-stuff -- which is nice, whether you stay or go.

I agree with all the above about saving and networking.

Saving: more than you think. Entertainment and communication (except for DH) may be luxuries worth doing without.

Networking: you both need to become full-time 'sales people' around his employability to everyone you know.

Also, prepare the kids. Depending on their ages, maybe... Explain unemotionally that layoffs happen 'to people'. Talk about how and why that works. Tell them that things at Daddy's company mean that they may lay him off. Talk about living off savings with unemployed parents -- and why it will be different, but nothing for kids to worry about. Teach them about how people find jobs. Make it seem like a life transition that they haven't experienced yet, but something that people handle well all the time.

It's not a crisis: it's just that Daddy's job us finding a job, until he gets a job. Normal people to that lots of times in their lives.

Comforting them now (and familiarizing them with what to expect and why it's ok) is really important because they will be able to frame it well once it starts happening. Then they won't panic, and you won't have to ask yourself 'how to explain this to the kids' on the fly (just re-explain what you have already taught). Also: the last thing you need will be frightened kids showing behaviour issues (because they are unsettled) as this is all ongoing.

• Like 3

Listen to those episodes I suggested earlier. Often the people laid off in round one get a better severance package than those in round two.

Also, I've heard it is easier to get a new job if you are already employed than after a layoff. Maybe it is because people have more confidence or maybe it is because there is no gap on the resume...In any case, he should be working on getting a new job like he is already out of one.

Can either of you take on a part time job, maybe even working from home, to help pay off debts/build a cushion/pay for licensing in another state to expand job prospects?

That would be very unlikely for dh, as he is currently working full time+ hours with unpredictable call outs and using his spare time to apply for jobs.  I preschool a friend's child two days a week, and could ask around about more preschooling or babysitting possibilities.  It is highly unlikely that I could find work outside the home in hours when dh isn't working.

Since you are renters, when is your lease up?  Would it be possible to try negotiating a lower rent rate?  Or if you are on a month to month, you might start looking around now, just in case, to see if there is something that would work o.k. for your family but is cheaper.

We have a month to month, but the rent is already very low for this area, so we would stay here unless we were moving in with family.

cut all unnecessary expenses. if that means cut cable - yes.  reconfigure cell phone plans (generally, a cell phone for business contacts is a plus.  some plans are much cheaper than others.)

cut back on processed food - cook more from scratch (it's also healthier).

cut back on any entertainment.

We already do all these things.

• Like 2

We liquidated our assets by selling our house. Then, the company changed their mind.

Oh boy. Did you stay with them and buy / rent again? Smoke would be coming out of my ears, I think.

To OP:

Your dh may want to gather phone numbers and names of those who are willing to give him a good reference.

Also, contact ex-coworkers and employers and see what they have available or what they know about possibilities in his field.

Create accounts on several online job finder websites i.e., GlassCeiling, Monster, Indeed, etc., and also look locally at Craig's List if you think his type of job would be advertised there.

If you are near a Costco or similar, perhaps buy some staples in bulk if you can freeze them.

Edited by Liz CA

What's the market like for your DH's skill set?

Dh is a public prosecutor in a small rural county in Oregon.  Our plan has always been to try to move to the federal system after he had some experience (in fact he has recently begun looking for this type of job).  He could work anywhere in the country in the federal system, or otherwise in the state of Oregon.  However, with the recent hiring freeze on all federal offices, those jobs are suddenly pretty scarce.  With his experience he could also move to the other side of the table and work on the public defender's consortium.  He has received offers to join them in the past, but the consortium here currently has no openings.  I am not sure what it would take to make that move in an unfamiliar area.

Start investigating safety net services NOW, unemployment, food stamps, heating cost rebates, Medicaid, local non-profit programs and charities, etc. The application process and paperwork for these things can be daunting. It's best to have read the application guidelines ahead of time, and make sure you have all your documentation in order, rather than scramble when it's time. These programs usually don't prorate.

If you qualify for any food stamps, even if it is $3 a month, start the application process now. The initial application can take weeks and weeks (or months and months) and can hiccup along the way. Get it in order, and then file a change in income when your DH is laid off.

Network, network, network. Tell people your DH will be entering the job market. Sell his skills while your at it. "He made a bunch of sales last year, including two huge contracts, but they're moving sales to another department, and he'll be out, can you believe it?"

Look for a part-time job for yourself, now. Even if it's at McDonald's, they're always eager to get dependable adult workers, and you can limit your schedule to a few odd hours, like Sunday evenings/nights. If your DH gets laid off, you can bump that up to more hours, and you'll be over initial review period and already have a small raise added to your pay. Even if the paycheck isn't much, being able to produce any paystub smooths the rails immensely when making applications for assistance from the government and most non-profits.

:grouphug:

We do not qualify for food stamps, but I will familiarize myself with the process.  We do have the benefit of knowing our church would assist us if it became absolutely necessary. I don't know how I could get a part-time job here.  Unemployment is so high here, and we don't even have a McDonald's, or anything else with a night shift.  Beyond babysitting, maybe I could look for some kind of online work?

I would start paying the minimum on the debts and then putting that extra away. Every little bit helps.

Yes, we will do this.  That will be $400/month now.  If he doesn't have other work by July, we will then be able to defer his school loan which will free up another $480/month.

Definitely quit paying extra toward debt and save that. Will he get some sort of severance or be eligible for unemployment?

Cut your expenses as mentioned above. I would cut out extra curriculars for the kids for now. This is temporary but you want a roof over your head and food in the table until a new job comes along.

I'm sorry you are facing this!

No severance, but he should be eligible for unemployment.  It looks like we would be eligible for the maximum amount for up to 6 months.  (He can receive this even if we move out of state).  I calculate that as $550 more/4 weeks than the monthly bare-bones budget I worked out for if we were to move in with family.

Realistically consider all your possible out of state moves, including the cost of moving and the cost of qualifying your DH at the destination. Consider the job market in DH's feild and his potential social network (for social job seeking) in each locale, and all the implications of making that area your new home after he is hired.

Settle on your top choice (other than staying where you are) and choose a date when you will commit to saying 'moving is better than staying'.

Purge your belongings so you can expect yourself to be light-on-stuff -- which is nice, whether you stay or go.

I agree with all the above about saving and networking.

Saving: more than you think. Entertainment and communication (except for DH) may be luxuries worth doing without.

Networking: you both need to become full-time 'sales people' around his employability to everyone you know.

Also, prepare the kids. Depending on their ages, maybe... Explain unemotionally that layoffs happen 'to people'. Talk about how and why that works. Tell them that things at Daddy's company mean that they may lay him off. Talk about living off savings with unemployed parents -- and why it will be different, but nothing for kids to worry about. Teach them about how people find jobs. Make it seem like a life transition that they haven't experienced yet, but something that people handle well all the time.

It's not a crisis: it's just that Daddy's job us finding a job, until he gets a job. Normal people to that lots of times in their lives.

Comforting them now (and familiarizing them with what to expect and why it's ok) is really important because they will be able to frame it well once it starts happening. Then they won't panic, and you won't have to ask yourself 'how to explain this to the kids' on the fly (just re-explain what you have already taught). Also: the last thing you need will be frightened kids showing behaviour issues (because they are unsettled) as this is all ongoing.

We have talked about it and determined to take someone up on the offer to move in if he does not find work by July--it is unlikely that the costs for him to travel for interviews would match the cost of housing and utilities.  The question is which way to go.  If he is going to apply for reciprocity in Utah, he will have to do that in February, and we can stay with my grandmother there.  Otherwise we would go to California.  If dh were to take the exam for CA, we would have to pay and apply by the beginning of April.  I would love to live closer to my family, but it is much more expensive, and not a sure thing to even pass and get in.

Listen to those episodes I suggested earlier. Often the people laid off in round one get a better severance package than those in round two.

Also, I've heard it is easier to get a new job if you are already employed than after a layoff. Maybe it is because people have more confidence or maybe it is because there is no gap on the resume...In any case, he should be working on getting a new job like he is already out of one.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am hard of hearing.  Do you know anywhere I could read the same info in print?

This second is a concern of ours.  Dh is actively searching for work already.

Very good suggestion.

I wish I had had my eyes checked and bought new glasses before we lost the benefit.

Get the doctors to write out 90 day prescriptions and fill them all so I had 90 days of meds.

I will schedule the kids for dental and medical checkups before the deadline, and stock up on my son's emergency inhaler.

Oh boy. Did you stay with them and buy / rent again? Smoke would be coming out of my ears, I think.

To OP:

Your dh may want to gather phone numbers and names of those who are willing to give him a good reference.

Also, contact ex-coworkers and employers and see what they have available or what they know about possibilities in his field.

Create accounts on several online job finder websites i.e., GlassCeiling, Monster, Indeed, etc., and also look locally at Craig's List if you think his type of job would be advertised there.

If you are near a Costco or similar, perhaps buy some staples in bulk if you can freeze them.

He's got his references lined up.  His line of work isn't likely to be on those websites, but he is actively monitoring for new positions.

I was actually thinking maybe I should be trying to use up my pantry staples, since a move is very likely.  I buy in bulk, so I have quite a lot of food stored.

yep line of credit/borrow money

Ug, I hate this idea, but it makes sense.  I'll look into it.

My dh knew about a year ahead of when his company would close and he would be unemployed.  He pretty much did nothing until his job ended and he was home.  He did go on one interview and was offered a job, but he wouldn't take it because he was waiting for the severance package at the job that was ending.  He said he jumped the gun on that and wouldn't be doing that again.

His employer was supposedly 'helping' the remaining employees, but most of the 'help' turned out to be fairly useless.  He found his job through networking with people he'd know down through his entire career  --  at the last minute.  Although the organization the company hired to help the employees did offer suggestions for updating his resume.

I, however, was doing quite a few things.  Updating all dental and anything medical for all us while the insurance was still good.  Decluttering as much as possible.  Talking to the kids about what was going on (and gathering dc for dh's updates on all of it).  Taking photos of things for memories in case we had to move far away.  Finding homes for peacocks and other creatures we knew we wouldn't be able to take with us.  Dragging out dh's suits and getting him to update them.  He had to toss two of them because they had moth holes in them.  And lots more that escapes me at the moment.

Basically, I just looked around and tried to picture all of us having to pack up and go.  And asked myself how we would organize that.  Dc and I would come up with ideas and run them by dh to see what he thought.  He was mostly very upset about the job ending, so he wasn't coming up with any ideas and it seemed to be a good distraction for him when I could get him to sit and talk about stuff with us.

Also, spending time alone with dh.  Very, very important.  

We have tried talking to the kids about it.  Mostly they just seem annoyed that Daddy isn't available to play as much because he's filling out applications.  Maybe they're just too little to care yet?

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am hard of hearing.  Do you know anywhere I could read the same info in print?

This second is a concern of ours.  Dh is actively searching for work already.

Very good suggestion.

I wish I had had my eyes checked and bought new glasses before we lost the benefit.

Get the doctors to write out 90 day prescriptions and fill them all so I had 90 days of meds.

I will schedule the kids for dental and medical checkups before the deadline, and stock up on my son's emergency inhaler.

To OP:

He's got his references lined up.  His line of work isn't likely to be on those websites, but he is actively monitoring for new positions.

I was actually thinking maybe I should be trying to use up my pantry staples, since a move is very likely.  I buy in bulk, so I have quite a lot of food stored.

yep line of credit/borrow money

Ug, I hate this idea, but it makes sense.  I'll look into it.

My dh knew about a year ahead of when his company would close and he would be unemployed.  He pretty much did nothing until his job ended and he was home.  He did go on one interview and was offered a job, but he wouldn't take it because he was waiting for the severance package at the job that was ending.  He said he jumped the gun on that and wouldn't be doing that again.

His employer was supposedly 'helping' the remaining employees, but most of the 'help' turned out to be fairly useless.  He found his job through networking with people he'd know down through his entire career  --  at the last minute.  Although the organization the company hired to help the employees did offer suggestions for updating his resume.

I, however, was doing quite a few things.  Updating all dental and anything medical for all us while the insurance was still good.  Decluttering as much as possible.  Talking to the kids about what was going on (and gathering dc for dh's updates on all of it).  Taking photos of things for memories in case we had to move far away.  Finding homes for peacocks and other creatures we knew we wouldn't be able to take with us.  Dragging out dh's suits and getting him to update them.  He had to toss two of them because they had moth holes in them.  And lots more that escapes me at the moment.

Basically, I just looked around and tried to picture all of us having to pack up and go.  And asked myself how we would organize that.  Dc and I would come up with ideas and run them by dh to see what he thought.  He was mostly very upset about the job ending, so he wasn't coming up with any ideas and it seemed to be a good distraction for him when I could get him to sit and talk about stuff with us.

Also, spending time alone with dh.  Very, very important.  

We have tried talking to the kids about it.  Mostly they just seem annoyed that Daddy isn't available to play as much because he's filling out applications.  Maybe they're just too little to care yet?

Hugs to you!

Is he a member of the local chapter of the J. Reuben Clark Society?  I would work that network as well as his LinkedIn profile.

Reciprocity with re: to different state bars is a bit crazy. Even what looks ok on paper can be challenging in practicality.  It does not always require retaking the bar, but the logistical paperwork for a reciprocal license can take a bit.  I'd look at those options carefully to see if going to one state makes more sense than the other when taking that in to consideration.

Public defense work is generally very poor pay. I think our local bar pays $80/billable hour, and limits the number of hours that you can take on to an incredibly unreasonable amount.

Hugs to you!

Is he a member of the local chapter of the J. Reuben Clark Society?  I would work that network as well as his LinkedIn profile.

Reciprocity with re: to different state bars is a bit crazy. Even what looks ok on paper can be challenging in practicality.  It does not always require retaking the bar, but the logistical paperwork for a reciprocal license can take a bit.  I'd look at those options carefully to see if going to one state makes more sense than the other when taking that in to consideration.

Public defense work is generally very poor pay. I think our local bar pays $80/billable hour, and limits the number of hours that you can take on to an incredibly unreasonable amount.

I actually had never heard of the J. Reuben Clark Society before, I just looked it up.  I will tell dh about it.

Reciprocity is crazy!  Every 2-state combination seems to have a different process!  CA would be my preferred place to live, but the expense and hoops just to be able to look for work there is nuts.  Besides UT and CA, we are also looking in to AZ.

Ironically, as low paying as public defense work is compared to private practice, it pays significantly better than prosecuting.  But I've always encouraged dh to stick with what he loved.  He absolutely loathed his time clerking for a private law firm.  Now all his experience is in criminal prosecution.

Edited by La Condessa

One should always have an up-to-date resume.  I would have it on appropriate job sites: Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed and others that might be specific to the trade or profession involved. I would ask several colleagues and former supervisors if I can use them as Professional References and let them know that my job is going down the tubes and that I am available, if they should hear about anything that might be a good fit. I always tried to limit the amount of times my references were contacted and only gave them to a hiring Manager or hiring Supervisor, during an interview, if they requested references and I was interested in going forward. NETWORK.  Tell everyone you know that you are available.

IIRC several public assistance programs ask if you have more than x in your bank account, and if you do, you don't qualify until you use enough of it to fall below the threshold. So, you may want to look into that, and make sure you don't have too much money in your bank account.