Menu

BJU Science users, I need your input!

mykidsrmyjoy

I am seriously leaning towards using BJU 4 this coming year with DD. Here are my questions:

Can I use it without the DVDs? Do you miss out on the meat of the program if you don't use them?

Is it extremely teacher intensive if not using the DVDs? I will be available to help some but will also be teaching two other kids as well having a toddler and baby in the house.

Would I be better off to find something else that's less expensive and save my money to use it for when she's a little older, possibly starting in 6th grade?

BJU Science 4 is the first year they expect to make outlines from the chapters.

The TM does not explain how to outline, nor does the textbook.

Tests became signifcant harder, and year 4 is the first year science is a full year program (though adaptable to a semester program during year 4-5-6)

We did not use video/online.

We loved BJU Science for several years, especially during elementary grades.

BJU is not open and go, it is also not a self study program.

In our eyes the full year books had more busy work.

So we adapted the books to a semester work, doing the core lessons. It worked fine.

We did part of BJU 5, and honestly, since it was my oldest, I found I'd rather not be that intense yet. Did not use videos, test, or outline, and found it pretty open and go, lol. A lot in the workbook/activities part, though. So, I guess it depends how you use it. My daughter WILL be using it next year for 5th, though. My son wasn't quite ready for that much independence in 5th. My daughter will have no problem with it. My son will be using the videos for 7th, but I think for 4th/5th it is fine without. Depends on how much you want out of it, *I* think.

We are using BJU 4 right now- without the DVDs.  I am combining my 5th and 3rd graders, who each have their own Activity Manual.  We do not use the tests.

My kids are using it semi-independently.  I write page numbers in the textbook and activity book for them to complete on their own each day.  They complete this early in the morning, then sometime later in the day we all go through it together.  I ask them a few of the review questions from the TM and we discuss the answers to the workbook.

Whenever there is an experiment or hands-on activity, we do it all together.  

Besides my time discussing and doing activities, I spend some time each week reading through the lessons on my own to prepare.  I think that if they were not doing this independently, I wouldn't need to do this (other than glance at the experiments and supplies).  Really you can just open up the TM and read.  I have not found it to be especially time intensive.

I like the scope and sequence, and that we are not stuck on one topic for too long.  My kids find it engaging, and usually enjoy the workbook and the activities.  What I don't like is the price, since you need so many components.  I'm not sure if we will continue with BJU next year because of the price, but we're very happy with it this year.

Have you thought about doing it with the online version? I've done several with my dc, and we're back to do another. Around Christmas they run a $99 deal. They ran it into January this year, so I just picked up the science 4. The samples look great, haven't started it yet. 

I've taught the science myself in the past, but personally I really like having the videos! The teachers are charming, and it gets done. I'm all over the gets done thing, lol.

That $99 is just the online course. They'll include pdf access of the student text, necessary pages from the tm, etc. I ordered the activity manual, etc. separately.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I saw that $99 deal they had, but my perfectionist's brain doesn't like the fact that it doesn't follow our school schedule. If I only have access from Jan to Dec but do school from August to May, how do we make that work? I just know we won't be doing science over summer break.

We school year round, and my ds will happily double up lessons. We'll finish it easily. Sounds like for you paying the normal price and starting at a more traditional time would fit better. The December deal is meant to help people who started in teaching it themselves and realized they wanted a little help. :)

BJU Science 4 is the first year they expect to make outlines from the chapters.

You don't need the DVDs.  I happened to get them this year for year 6.  I think it helps.  I let him watch the DVD alone and then we read the chapter together.  It makes our lessons go smoother because he already knows what's coming and so when we read the chapter it's review.  I don't think the DVDs would be necessary for grade 4.  I'm on the fence about grade 5, but I do like them a lot for grade 6.

I think getting them in December sounds like a great plan for you.  Try teaching on your own and if your student isn't understanding and you think s/he needs more review, then get the DVDs for him/her to watch.

We read the chapter together.  I don't think he'd get as much out of it reading it alone, but different kids do things differently, so I'm sure there are kids out there who can read it alone and get a lot out of it.  Not mine.   :)

It's open and go, but does require a teacher to help out.  For us that means reading together and doing the labs/activities together.  He does the workbook pages alone and I check them.

Edited by Garga