Menu

Pear salad

Night Elf

My mom made this when we were growing up and I LOVE it! When someone brings it to a church potluck I'm all over it, lol. My husband won't even try it so I never make it. The last thing I need to do is eat a whole plate of pear salad, lol.

When I was a child, I had a little children's cookbook that had something similar in it. But no cheese, and it was arranged on the plate to look like a face. Pear half turned upside down with raisins for eyes and nose, a maraschino cherry for the mouth, and a dollop of mayo for the hair. On a lettuce leaf. We actually ate it pretty often, which I remember, because I was the one who made it.

This is not it, but the same idea http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bunny-pear-salad

We did not have this version of a strange salad, though I have heard of it before.  My mom's salad was chopped up iceberg lettuce on a salad plate, topped with half a banana that has been evenly sliced in half.  The banana was put on the lettuce so the cut side was face up.  Then she drizzled tastee salad dressing on the banana and sprinkled the whole thing with walnuts.

It was weird.  But good in a weird way.  The tastee salad dressing was a pale yellow poppyseed dressing, so a little sweet, and that cut the bitterness of the walnuts.  I have no idea where the salad idea came from, but bananas were dirt cheap, it was a very inexpensive side dish for a family of seven.

The banana was put on the lettuce so the cut side was face up. Then she drizzled tastee salad dressing on the banana and sprinkled the whole thing with walnuts.

I put granola on a salad the other day as wondered if anyone ride had thought of it, but that is definitely "topped" by your mother's banana-on-a-salad idea! [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Who in the heck was the first person to come up with the idea of putting mayo on a pear?  :ack2:  Because those two things do not seem like they should be combined!

It doesn't seem any weirder to me than Waldorf salad (apples, mayo, celery, nuts). My guess is it came from the 20's, probably in an advertising campaign or women's magazine, when maraschino cherries were introduced and commercially available mayo was relatively new, since it seems to have some things in common with the candle salad of the 20s. http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsalads.html (scroll down for a description of candle salad)

I am guessing some of the other delicacies of my childhood wouldn't be very appealing, either ;):

banana sandwich---sliced bananas, bread, and mayo

banana and peanut butter sandwich --  sliced bananas, peanut butter, bread, and mayo

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 2

My mom would make something similar for fancy dinners: a canned pear half topped with a dollop of cottage cheese, sitting on a lettuce leaf. Strangely yummy. I wonder what my kids and dh would think if I arranged that on everyone's plates tomorrow for our Sunday dinner?

I forgot all about eating pears with cottage cheese while growing up until the top of this thread. My mom never fancied it up--it was part of regular meals for us. I agree I thought it was good, but I don't think I'd be a big fan of pears and mayo. 

• Like 2

Oh my god, my mother used to do that. A disgusting glop of mayo in a canned pear half, topped with a maraschino cherry or olive, depending on how cruel she felt, all sitting on a hunk of lettuce.

Makes me want to gag.

I've got a couple vintage cook books from the 40 and 50's full of stuff like that.

Bwahahahaha my exact reaction but you worded it so perfectly!

It's the mayo, y'all. I can't take it in big glops. I always wondered why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good pear with the stuff.

• Like 1

I've never heard of it. I hate pears and I grew up on miracle whip. After living in the south for 17 years, I finally getting used to mayo.

It doesn't seem any weirder to me than Waldorf salad (apples, mayo, celery, nuts). My guess is it came from the 20's, probably in an advertising campaign or women's magazine, when maraschino cherries were introduced and commercially available mayo was relatively new, since it seems to have some things in common with the candle salad of the 20s. http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsalads.html (scroll down for a description of candle salad)

I am guessing some of the other delicacies of my childhood wouldn't be very appealing, either ;):

banana and peanut butter sandwich -- sliced bananas, peanut butter, bread, and mayo

My ILs eat banana and mayo sandwiches. Its their idea of comfort food when they are sick.

It doesn't seem any weirder to me than Waldorf salad (apples, mayo, celery, nuts). My guess is it came from the 20's, probably in an advertising campaign or women's magazine, when maraschino cherries were introduced and commercially available mayo was relatively new, since it seems to have some things in common with the candle salad of the 20s. http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodsalads.html (scroll down for a description of candle salad)

banana and peanut butter sandwich -- sliced bananas, peanut butter, bread, and mayo

My DD and I love banana and mayo sandwiches! Yum!