Menu

Interview question for Brown?

Ann.without.an.e

I would read that as an, "Are you an observer or are you in the middle of things (and go with the latter). But maybe I'm wrong.

It could possibly be an, "Are you superior or one of the cogs that make the wheel run" question too. 

I'll be curious to know what others think. 

Yes, we were thinking along the same lines then.  We aren't totally off.  That is a big difference though, right?  looking down as an observer or looking down as thinking you are superior?  

• Like 1

Ask her to imagine a world issue - the Syrian war? - and describe the mental image she has. Is she there, on the ground, navigating rubble as she walks to get water? Or does she see the scene from as if on top of a building, watching those below at work?

I might be missing something, but this question doesn't feel very normative. I quite like it in that regard. Positives to both perspectives - are you a big picture thinker, or capable of deep empathy?

• Like 4

Or could it be interpreted as are you a person who tries to see the big picture and operates from the big picture side or someone who holds dearly held positions and goes from the individual issue side perspective. Not all looking down to see the big perspective is "superior syndrome."

See how differently people think?  You never know what the interviewer will be thinking.    It could be any previously named or a hundred others we haven't even imagined. 

• Like 2

See how differently people think?  You never know what the interviewer will be thinking.    It could be any previously named or a hundred others we haven't even imagined. 

I know, such a tricky question  :001_huh:

DD's weakest point is interviewing.  She's a quiet kid who would rather just write them an essay on the matter  :001_tt2:

• Like 1

It's ok to ask an interviewer to clarify what they are asking (Are you trying to ask me...)

Another option is to flat out pass. Say, "I don't know right now. Can we come back to that later?" You should only deflect once per interview and usually the interviewer does not come back to that question.

• Like 4