Menu

Well Trained Bodies - Weekly Fitness Thread (inaugural thread 1/28-2/4) Please read post #1.

Granny_Weatherwax

This morning was a "push" day at the gym followed by 20 min of hill sprints on the bike.

I was able to overhead press 20lb dumbbells for reps for the first time ever :D I had been stuck at 15s (and 30lb barbell) for months.

I love that feeling of accomplishment when you go up to a weight that previously seemed unreachable.  Congrats!

• Like 1

I overate a bit yesterday due to stress(1400 cals consumed). I did make my morning Y workout but that was it. I cam home from work feeling poorly (so many students are ill and still attending class; it's a mixed blessing) and so I took a hot shower and put on comfortable clothes. 

I'm still not feeling myself today but I'm going to try to make up for yesterday. I played 2 hours of doubles tennis and I'm going to head to the Y after lunch for some more cardio (Stationary bike) and some strength training.

I have lunched planned but have not yet decided on dinner.

1400 calories is not a lot of calories!  Please don't use exercise as a punishment for eating more than you planned yesterday.  Especially if you're not feeling well - you don't want to overtax your body and make yourself sicker.  :(  

• Like 6

I don't have a Friday workout class, and what I would prefer to do is run along a little river that goes through town. But it was -4* when I took kids to school and I think we are expecting a high of 5*, so I won't run outside today.  I wanted to just snuggle down all morning on the couch, but I managed to get in a short HIIT workout with fitness blender, followed by a fitness blender ab workout and my daily stretches.  

I am hoping to do a couple rounds of the 7 minute workout this evening, just to keep things interesting.  

No sugar day 5 (so far so good)

• Like 3

All of the talk of running got me inspired to skip my usual hour of cardio at the gym, and go for a run instead.  I only went 1 mile -- because of the ankle stuff, I wanted to take it pretty gently.  So I run uphill on dirt trails for one mile, walked downhill back home.

Running uphill does seem to be gentler on my tender ankle.  It's not nearly as much fun as running downhill though.  :D

• Like 6

Finally fully recovered from those strained muscles and now my bad ankle is terribly swollen. I am going to the gym anyway but will modify what I do.

I know I could lose weight a lot more quickly if I adopted jogging/running but the darn ankle can not handle impact. I have been on my feet all day in the Detroit burbs mall after mall helping my sister find the clothes she needs before returning to France. The poor ankle is peetty sorry about it. I am going to soak it tonight and then ice it.

Thanks for this thread. Whenever I see it pop up, it helps with my internal motivation.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 4

Totally going to brag. Just warning you.

I usually do my C25K during the kids' quiet time. But we have Co-op today, then Dance class, then groceries, then collapsing in an exhausted heap. So despite it "not being how it's done" I put my oldest in charge of the youngest, put in an episode of Last Airbender for my boys and finished Week 1 this morning! I'm very proud of myself! I didn't put it off, I made fitness a priority and did what I committed to do.

Hooray for me!

Awesome job! Making fitness a priority can be so hard for busy moms. I love how you did what you had to to make it work. One of goals for this year is to get better at finding ways to work around my excuses. I have so many...I'm too tired or sore...it's too hot, cold, early, or late...I need to do school, fold laundry, clean something...It helps so much to hear of other people working around their excuses. 🙂

I've started C25k a couple of times but never finished it. This spring I'd like to try again and finish it.

Yesterday and today were both successful days. 🙂 I ate really well, exercised, drank decent amounts of water, and took my vitamins. Today's workout was a tough one but I was able to get through it without stopping this time. I'm very happy about that. 🙂 I think that was due to a combination of being stronger and mentally being able to push myself further.

The goal date I'm keeping in mind is July 15. We'll be traveling to celebrate my grandparents' 60th anniversary. I'd love to have a slimmer, more toned body to rock a cute, summer dress. Also, my cousins are all fit and stylish and beautiful. I always feel so frumpy around them - not because of them, we're very close and they're awesome - just my own insecurities. And then of course there'll be all the pictures...It's a goal far enough away that I should be able to make some real progress but also so far away I'm nervous about losing motivation and quitting before then.

• Like 2

1400 calories is not a lot of calories!  Please don't use exercise as a punishment for eating more than you planned yesterday.  Especially if you're not feeling well - you don't want to overtax your body and make yourself sicker.   :(

I'm feeling somewhat sheepish because I know my overeating yesterday wasn't much. I have been trying to lose weight for three years, though, and I've finally lost 3 pounds (it took a month). I want to take advantage of that momentum and see if I can sustain the weight loss.

After playing tennis, I had an enjoyable lunch with DH and did some housework. DH had scheduled his workout for this evening so I went with him and walked on the treadmill and did a few simple strength training exercises. Nothing too taxing.

• Like 4

My wife and DD got home awhile ago from their 2nd Zumba class. They had a good time. Tuesday night, we had a huge thunderstorm (hail and all, it is very rare that we get Hail), and lost power for several hours, so there was no class on Tuesday night.  My wife just told me that the HOA will pay for one night each week and the participants will pay for the other night.   Exercise is good not only for Physical Health, but also for Mental health.  

• Like 5

I think that Saturdays are currently my favorite workout day.  My husband and I do weights together on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  We do a full-body workout each time, though we do vary which particular exercises we do.  

Saturdays are nice because we're less rushed since he doesn't have to go to work, AND because that's when we do my favorite leg exercise:  the leg press.  I can't do back squats without my shoulders and neck being in pain for days afterward, and I'm limited on goblet squats and deadlifts by how much weight my upper body can handle (which is not a lot!).  But on leg press, it's pure legs, and it's not painful for me!  I hit a new personal best today:  200 pounds!  

• Like 4

Woo! I ran 10k today. I had been running 10k every weekend (with shorter weekday runs) for months but then I injured my tailbone before Christmas, then we were away, then we moved, and all through that I was sporadically running but still worried about injuring myself so I wasn't running long distances. Anyway, I'm back. It was very cold outside so I ran at the indoor track. I feel great :)

• Like 6

I think that Saturdays are currently my favorite workout day.  My husband and I do weights together on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  We do a full-body workout each time, though we do vary which particular exercises we do.  

Saturdays are nice because we're less rushed since he doesn't have to go to work, AND because that's when we do my favorite leg exercise:  the leg press.  I can't do back squats without my shoulders and neck being in pain for days afterward, and I'm limited on goblet squats and deadlifts by how much weight my upper body can handle (which is not a lot!).  But on leg press, it's pure legs, and it's not painful for me!  I hit a new personal best today:  200 pounds!  

That's awesome! I really want to do weights, but I don't know what I'm doing. I've been doing TRX for strength training 3 times a week for the last 2.5 years and I feel like it's time for a change. 200 pounds sounds crazy!

• Like 1

I was down 1.5 lbs. at my Weight Watchers weight in today.  And then I took my son out for some one-on-one time and ate ALL THE PANCAKES!!!!!

I hate that! I loosened up at Christmas and then we were moving and I have eaten all of the things and the scale is showing it. 

At least you're one week away from another weight in ;) 

• Like 1

Woo! I ran 10k today. I had been running 10k every weekend (with shorter weekday runs) for months but then I injured my tailbone before Christmas, then we were away, then we moved, and all through that I was sporadically running but still worried about injuring myself so I wasn't running long distances. Anyway, I'm back. It was very cold outside so I ran at the indoor track. I feel great :)

That's awesome! I really want to do weights, but I don't know what I'm doing. I've been doing TRX for strength training 3 times a week for the last 2.5 years and I feel like it's time for a change. 200 pounds sounds crazy!

Running 10K's and doing TRX sounds crazy hard to me!  I bet you are in amazing shape.  I've always been scrawny and weak, never in a million years would have guessed that I would love weight-lifting so much.  For two decades I did the kinds of workouts that are often aimed at women, where you're lifting really low weights a gazillion times.  I never really felt like I got anywhere, so I concluded that my body just couldn't put on muscle.  Starting to lift heavy (I only started this past summer) has been a revelation!  It turns out, my body actually CAN put on some muscle!  It is so rewarding.  I'm hooked!

My husband has been my weight-lifting "coach" but if I didn't have him, I would use either the book Strong or the downloadable Girls Gone Strong program (or of course a personal trainer is great if that's in your budget).

• Like 2

DH and I took the dog for a morning walk at a local nature preserve; it's not really hiking but a bit more than walking. We were out for about 45 mins.before the wind chill got to be too much. We forgot our balaclavas (okay, I forgot to grab them) so our faces weren't protected and temps were hanging around 10 degrees. It wan't too bad among the trees but out in the open the winds were killer.

• Like 2

I was down about 2 pounds this morning. Woohoo! A couple weeks ago I dropped 2lbs and thought "Yay! This is working! I bet I can loosen up a bit and still see results!" Turns out I was wrong 🙄😒. I regained the 2lbs. This time I'm telling myself, "Yay! I lost 2lbs. Now keep doing the same thing because THAT's what's working." I'm getting smarter. 😉

I have a birthday party to attend tonight. These are newish friends so I have no idea what the food will be like. I'll eat a snack before I go and then do my best.

• Like 6

Down 8 lbs in three weeks, which included one blowout weekend of restaurant food out of town!

Not dying of hunger, either, just mostly more mindful about saying, am I really hungry?  And then drinking water or tea to see if I was really just thirsty.  Also delaying starting eating until early afternoon.  Eating a little, and then seeing if it's enough.  Tracking food.  Prioritizing protein.  And veggies--all the veggies.

• Like 5

Did a ton of walking today while running errands. I am very pleased with the fitbit so far - I've hit nearly 8000 steps! And almost 3 miles over the course of the day. 

My diet however hasn't been great the last few days. I need to get back on top of it. 

My diet bet ends tomorrow and I'm going to lose. I needed to lose 10lbs and only lost 6. 

• Like 2

I went for a nice snowshoe hike in the woods this morning. Then my ds and I went to watch a really fun tennis match. I ate most of a box of cookies (Italian almond flavoured) and shared poutine with him. Delicious! I know I worked off some of the calories clapping and cheering. ;)

• Like 5