Menu

Well Trained Bodies - Weekly Fitness Thread (inaugural thread 1/28-2/4) Please read post #1.

Granny_Weatherwax

If it's going to be a general fitness thread I'm in. Even though I could stand to lose about 15 pounds, weight loss is not my main goal. 

My simple goals - Move more. Eat Better.

And since they say specific goals are more attainable:

Move More -

-Work out 3-4 days a week. On the days I don't work out, I have to at least meet my step goal.

-Increase my current 7000 steps to 8000 by the end of June (I'm giving myself half the year to do it). Eventually I'll increase that too, but I have to start with a recipe for success or I'll get discouraged.

-Yoga - at least once a week.

I have to be careful with exercise because of my bulging discs, but I've had this problem long enough to know what I can do, what I can't, and what/how to modify certain exercises and yoga moves.

Eat Better - 

-Start cooking regularly again - Dh and ds both have weird schedules and I haven't been cooking like I used to. We all eat healthier meals when I cook.

-Salads for lunch at least 4x a week - Even though I don't work outside the home, I'm considering putting together some of those mason jar salads I keep seeing online. That way I'll have no excuses about not wanting to cut up veggies for a salad. They'll be there waiting for me to enjoy.

-Switch snacks to healthy snacks - Not all at once. I know from experience that doesn't work for me. Baby steps. I do have to snack. With my GERD and acid reflux I have to eat multiple small meals rather than just 3 meals a day. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

Today was the end of my first week of my fitness regimen.

I took my vitamins every day! I did cardio 6 out of 7 days and strength training 1. I turned off all screens about an hour before bed and did notice a difference in quality of sleep. Not one day of fibro pain. Not one!!

This week's goals are to continue vitamins, no screens before bed, cardio a minimum of 5 days, increase strength training to 3X.

Weight loss: 3/25 

• Like 4

I am in week 15 of the Modern Women's Guide to Strength Training from Girls Gone Strong

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/modern-womans-guide-to-strength-training-sale/

I started at the second level because I had already been lifting for more than a year with the guidance of a trainer. I had to drop training sessions because my schedule changed last semester.

My usual workouts:

3 weight training sessions 45-60 min incl stretching

3 HIIT sessions 15-20 min, sometimes on a bike or elliptical (basically hill sprints) and sometimes rope slams/ball slams/heavy carries/kettle bell swings

1 Pop Pilates class 45 min

1-2 steady state cardio sessions, walking or hiking or indoor bike during poor weather

My goals are to continue to progress in weight lifted, to improve flexibility and balance (I do a lot of single leg work), and to lose the fat that has settled around my middle as I've turned 50.

• Like 2

I'd like to join please. My goals are:

Diet / Weight Loss Goals:

~Follow a GF, Paleo-ish diet with no cheats. For me this means I allow cooked dairy in moderation as well as white rice and occasionally corn in moderation. 

~Lose at least 75lbs by the end of the year. Yes a very ambitious goal, but I am hoping to do it. I've lost nearly 50lbs in 2016 with only partially trying, and now that my thyroid is behaving I lose much easier. 

~Take my vitamins daily. That means BOTH high dose Vit D AND my multi - I am terrible about taking the multi. 

Fitness goals:

This is much harder for me because honestly I am not sure where I am fitness-wise, but I know it's bad. I've come a long way - 6 months ago I had to use a wheelchair for nearly everything due to joint pain and just lack of strength. Now I haven't used it since Thanksgiving. 

I guess my fitness goals for 2017 are these:

~Increase the amount of walking I can do without taking a break. I know right now I can do .5 mile pretty easily, I'd like to work up to about 3 miles maybe?

~Work on upper body strength. My upper body & torso is crud, and I'm not sure how to work on that. I have a spinal problem that prevents me from doing things like sit-ups, curls, twists, jumping jacks, etc and I've not managed to find a workout that doesn't include those or similar moves. 

~Increase flexibility. Again, not really sure how to work on this. Part of why I'm not flexible is my weight - it really does get in the way. 

ETA: I also want to get a Fitbit {leaning towards the Flex} to help with keeping me active. I tend to not be active enough due to having been sedentary for so long, and I need to work on that. 

Edited by frugalmamatx
  • Like 5

This is much harder for me because honestly I am not sure where I am fitness-wise, but I know it's bad. I've come a long way - 6 months ago I had to use a wheelchair for nearly everything due to joint pain and just lack of strength. Now I haven't used it since Thanksgiving. 

Wow, that is a hugely impressive improvement. Brilliant!

• Like 1

I would love to join in!  I'm not trying to lose weight specifically, though I can't say I'd complain if that happened.  :D  I just want to be as healthy and fit as possible for as long as possible.  Here's what I'm currently doing:

Diet:

No sweets.

No snacks.

Those are my two biggest and most important rules.  I also try to get plenty of fruits and veggies, eat whole grains not refined, etc.  But the two above have the biggest impact on my weight and health, so that's my main focus.  And when I say no sweets, I mean fresh fruit is the only sweet thing that I eat (and no sweet drinks).  No sugar, high fructose corn syrup, agave, honey, maple, stevia, splenda, saccharin, etc.  None of it.  It ALL makes me gain weight, whether it's a "healthy sugar" or a non-caloric sweetener.  And three meals a day, max, because I learned that I was snacking out of habit/boredom and not true hunger.  I am trying to do a better job of honoring my body's signals:  eating only when I'm hungry, stopping once I'm satisfied.

Exercise:

3 days of weight training every week

4 days of cardio every week, with at least one of those being intervals, and at least one being very light, low-key steady-state.

That's an ideal week.  In a REAL week I will typically get at least one migraine that makes it impossible to exercise for one day.  On a bad week, it will be more than one day.  So I do not plan "rest days" because they get forced on me whether I want them or not.

Goals:

This is where I need help!  I said my goal is to be healthy and fit, but that's pretty vague.  It would probably be useful to set some specific goals.  What would you suggest as good goals for a non-athletic but also non-couch-potato 43 year old woman in great health except for chronic migraines?

Be able to run a mile in x minutes?

Be able to leg press y pounds?

Be able to do z push-ups?

Would anyone care to specify values for x, y, and z?   :001_smile:

• Like 1

Hey Greta,

The goals are going to vary depending on where you are now. Can you do one pushup? If not, that should be the first goal. After that I'd say 10 is reasonable. But if you can already do 10, try 20. Get my drift?

Same with running -- instead of setting an arbitrary goal, set smaller ones that you can cross off on the way there. Like, if you can't run a mile yet, that should be the goal. If you can, then make a goal to take a minute off the time, or something like that.

It's like writing 'clean the whole house' on your to-do list :p

• Like 3

I am on Weight Watchers and not having any trouble staying within my daily and weekly smart points. I've lost about 17 pounds but know that will ease up to 1-2 pounds a week.

My immediate fitness goals are to

-walk or hike at least an hour a day

-30 day squat challenge

-push-ups and crunches 5 days a week

• Like 2

I would love to join in! I'm not trying to lose weight specifically, though I can't say I'd complain if that happened. :D I just want to be as healthy and fit as possible for as long as possible. Here's what I'm currently doing:

Diet:

No sweets.

No snacks.

Those are my two biggest and most important rules. I also try to get plenty of fruits and veggies, eat whole grains not refined, etc. But the two above have the biggest impact on my weight and health, so that's my main focus. And when I say no sweets, I mean fresh fruit is the only sweet thing that I eat (and no sweet drinks). No sugar, high fructose corn syrup, agave, honey, maple, stevia, splenda, saccharin, etc. None of it. It ALL makes me gain weight, whether it's a "healthy sugar" or a non-caloric sweetener. And three meals a day, max, because I learned that I was snacking out of habit/boredom and not true hunger. I am trying to do a better job of honoring my body's signals: eating only when I'm hungry, stopping once I'm satisfied.

Exercise:

3 days of weight training every week

4 days of cardio every week, with at least one of those being intervals, and at least one being very light, low-key steady-state.

That's an ideal week. In a REAL week I will typically get at least one migraine that makes it impossible to exercise for one day. On a bad week, it will be more than one day. So I do not plan "rest days" because they get forced on me whether I want them or not.

Goals:

This is where I need help! I said my goal is to be healthy and fit, but that's pretty vague. It would probably be useful to set some specific goals. What would you suggest as good goals for a non-athletic but also non-couch-potato 43 year old woman in great health except for chronic migraines?

Be able to run a mile in x minutes?

Be able to leg press y pounds?

Be able to do z push-ups?

Would anyone care to specify values for x, y, and z? :001_smile:

I don't like your first goal. It depends too much on individual body type and abilities. I would rather you be able to run 5 miles. 20 pushups is excellent. More is cool, but I think 20 is good. No clue on leg presses. Edited by Slache

Hey Greta,

The goals are going to vary depending on where you are now. Can you do one pushup? If not, that should be the first goal. After that I'd say 10 is reasonable. But if you can already do 10, try 20. Get my drift?

Same with running -- instead of setting an arbitrary goal, set smaller ones that you can cross off on the way there. Like, if you can't run a mile yet, that should be the goal. If you can, then make a goal to take a minute off the time, or something like that.

It's like writing 'clean the whole house' on your to-do list :p

Yes, that makes sense!  I guess I was wondering if there are reasonable goals that all fit people of my age "should" be able to achieve.  For example, if studies have shown that people who can run a mile in 10 minutes live longer, or something like that (I'm totally making that up, of course).  But it does make sense to just start where you are, and work to improve!

I know that I can run a mile in 12 minutes, which is a lousy time, and which, even so, is difficult for me!

I know that I can leg press 180 pounds ten times.

I know that I can bench press 55 pounds, but I also know that I weigh a lot more than 55 pounds, so a push-up is going to be a lot harder!  I'll have to see if I can do even one!

• Like 1

I don't like your first goal. It depends too much on individual body type and abilities. I would rather you be able to run 5 miles. 20 pushups is excellent. More is cool, but I think 20 is good. No clue on leg presses.

You think endurance is more important than speed?  (That would be very good news for me, because I run sloooooooowly!)

You think endurance is more important than speed? (That would be very good news for me, because I run sloooooooowly!)

I think so. Speed is important if you want to race but for health I think endurance is better for your heart. Some people run three times a week; one hilly run, one fast run, and one long run. I want to work my way toward that. As far as speed goes some people are meant to run a mile in 6 minutes and some people are meant to run a mile in 10 minutes. It does not benefit someone who should run a 10 minute mile to try to run a 6 minute mile.

• Like 3

I think so. Speed is important if you want to race but for health I think endurance is better for your heart. Some people run three times a week; one hilly run, one fast run, and one long run. I want to work my way toward that. As far as speed goes some people are meant to run a mile in 6 minutes and some people are meant to run a mile in 10 minutes. It does not benefit someone who should run a 10 minute mile to try to run a 6 minute mile.

Well that is very liberating!  I enjoy running (when my ankles can take it, which is not regularly, unfortunately) but I am so slow it's embarrassing.  It would be nice to feel that I'm running at the right speed for my body, rather than that I'm just running slower than everybody else!

• Like 1

Well that is very liberating! I enjoy running (when my ankles can take it, which is not regularly, unfortunately) but I am so slow it's embarrassing. It would be nice to feel that I'm running at the right speed for my body, rather than that I'm just running slower than everybody else!

Well, you can take comfort in the fact that you're probably running faster than me. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Embarrassingly-Distances-Burnout-Racerback/dp/B00ZLGEUC2

Well, you can take comfort in the fact that you're probably running faster than me. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Embarrassingly-Distances-Burnout-Racerback/dp/B00ZLGEUC2

Oh, I doubt that.  I can force myself to do a mile in 12 minutes if it's ONE mile, and that's my flat-out best speed.  Longer distances than that?  Well, I run at about the same pace most people walk!  :lol:

Love the shirt!  I also like the one that says:  I Run 5 K's.  Just kidding, I drink wine.  :D

• Like 2

Well that is very liberating!  I enjoy running (when my ankles can take it, which is not regularly, unfortunately) but I am so slow it's embarrassing.  It would be nice to feel that I'm running at the right speed for my body, rather than that I'm just running slower than everybody else!

Well, you are running faster than everyone on the couch. 

• Like 3

Oh, I doubt that.  I can force myself to do a mile in 12 minutes if it's ONE mile, and that's my flat-out best speed.  Longer distances than that?  Well, I run at about the same pace most people walk!   :lol:

Love the shirt!  I also like the one that says:  I Run 5 K's.  Just kidding, I drink wine.   :D

:) my walking pace and running pace are quite similar. According to Map My Run. my 5K walking pace is within  mins. of my 5K running pace. DH will not run with me anymore; he runs between 6-7mph. I'm happy to keep to a 4-4.5 mph pace.

I did run a local 5K last fall. It must have been my inherent competitive nature and being around 300+ people because I had a PR at 31 mins. It was also the day I realized I never want to run a 10K or a half marathon or anything longer than a 5K. I hate distance running. I would much rather run around a tennis court (stop and go).

• Like 2

I have thought about this program! Are you happy with it?

I am, very much so. I like how the days are planned out for me. I'm in the second level, fourth block (weeks 12-16). I have a push day (dumbbell bench press, overhead press, push-ups and a couple others), a pull day (deadlift, chin-up (I do a modification), dumbbell rows, lat pull down, a couple others), and a lower body day (front squat, single-leg squat to box, barbell glute bridge, and a couple others).

Some weeks have 2 days, some weeks have 3 days. I lift 3 days a week, so when there are 2 scheduled workouts I do A Monday, B Wednesday, and A Friday. The following week I would do B Monday, A Wednesday, and so on. If I were to lift twice a week, I would do the same sort of adjustment with A/B/C workouts.

I find using the log to be empowering. I can see my progress right there. It's an awesome feeling watching the numbers for weight and reps increase!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have :)

• Like 1

For those of you who use free weights: how did you learn to do the lifts? I printed out a routine but have no idea what the correct postures are, how much weight I should begin with, etc. I've thought about taking my laptop or Kindle with me but I don't want to look like a dork. I am saving to afford a personal trainer but that's going to take a few months. I don't want to bother a stranger while he/she is working out.

And this is why I avoid the free weight area of the Y.

For those of you who use free weights: how did you learn to do the lifts? I printed out a routine but have no idea what the correct postures are, how much weight I should begin with, etc. I've thought about taking my laptop or Kindle with me but I don't want to look like a dork. I am saving to afford a personal trainer but that's going to take a few months. I don't want to bother a stranger while he/she is working out.

Don't go in with the idea of doing a whole routine. Go in and do one lift. Start lighter than you think you need to. You can always add weight. Search for people doing that ONE lift with good form. 

Then learn a different lift next week. 

• Like 3

I worked with a trainer because of a shoulder issue.

There are so many YouTube videos showing form that it's hard to choose. I like the Girls Hone Strong videos because they break all the moves down, show regressions (easier version) and progressions (harder), explain what is incorrect form, and (best of all) are done by women for women.

You can find them on YouTube or linked on the GGS website.

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/videos/

And for "what weight to choose"

Pick a weight. Try the move. If you can do 10 with ease, increase the weight. If you can't do more than 5, decrease the weight.

For some things I use 10lb weights, others 40lb weights, and still others >100lb. It just depends on the muscles being used. I can't raise more than 10lb from my sides due to recovering shoulder injury yet I can row 45lbs. Same arms, different muscles.

Edited by Luckymama
  • Like 3

I use this set of 7 videos, linked together as a playlist:

These are aimed at postmenopausal women, but since I'm doing weights solely as an attempt to head off the osteoporosis that left my dear grandmother hunchbacked and frail through the end of her life, I thought they would be a good fit. Great Girl joins me and helps correct my form; it's good to have another pair of eyes to see if you're doing it the right way.

• Like 1

Any folks here have a spinal fusion for solipsism like myself? If so, what do you think of running? Is it too high impact?

ETA um, that's scoliosis up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a fusion {they wanted to and I refused} but I have Kyphosis which is similar to Scoliosis, just turned the other direction {front to back instead of side to side}. Mine is a pretty severe curve though, just saying. 

I can't run. Anything with the jarring movement like running, jumping, etc is instant back pain for me. Which stinks because I actually like running! I've learned to speed walk instead. 

Well, you are running faster than everyone on the couch. 

True!  :D

:) my walking pace and running pace are quite similar. According to Map My Run. my 5K walking pace is within  mins. of my 5K running pace. DH will not run with me anymore; he runs between 6-7mph. I'm happy to keep to a 4-4.5 mph pace.

I did run a local 5K last fall. It must have been my inherent competitive nature and being around 300+ people because I had a PR at 31 mins. It was also the day I realized I never want to run a 10K or a half marathon or anything longer than a 5K. I hate distance running. I would much rather run around a tennis court (stop and go).

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose walking and running paces are not much different!   :001_smile: And I feel the same way you do about distances longer than 5K.  It sounds great in theory, but I know my ankles just couldn't take it.  

I am, very much so. I like how the days are planned out for me. I'm in the second level, fourth block (weeks 12-16). I have a push day (dumbbell bench press, overhead press, push-ups and a couple others), a pull day (deadlift, chin-up (I do a modification), dumbbell rows, lat pull down, a couple others), and a lower body day (front squat, single-leg squat to box, barbell glute bridge, and a couple others).

Some weeks have 2 days, some weeks have 3 days. I lift 3 days a week, so when there are 2 scheduled workouts I do A Monday, B Wednesday, and A Friday. The following week I would do B Monday, A Wednesday, and so on. If I were to lift twice a week, I would do the same sort of adjustment with A/B/C workouts.

I find using the log to be empowering. I can see my progress right there. It's an awesome feeling watching the numbers for weight and reps increase!

It sounds really nice!  Thank you!  If I think of any other questions I will let you know.  I'm debating between that and a personal trainer - not right now but maybe in a couple more months.  

Here's a link that gives some fitness info for different ages: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/how-to-test-your-fitness-level

It covers planks, push ups, lower body strength, running and flexibility.

Fantastic - thank you!

• Like 1

Ooh! I'm in. Accountability is what I need! I'd like to set a long term goal, but I tend to get a bit too pie-in-the-sky, so I'm going to be practical and think only one week ahead.

Goals for this week:

Monday - Treadmill & upper body DONE
Tuesday - Treadmill & abs - ***complete and utter failure to try, but I have my rest-day reserved to get myself back on track***
Wednesday - Skiing DONE
Thursday - Archery DONE
Friday - Treadmill & squats
Saturday - Archery
Sunday - rest day

My reward if I don't miss a day (it isn't fun to work without a reward): Pick up a new bottle of maracuja oil with my Sephora gift card.

I have a fused spine - T4 to L4 (shoulder to hip). It took years for me to fully believe that high impact exercise wouldn't hurt me. Some things I need to modify, but most I just need to build up to slowly and intentionally. Form is important if you are going to run or jump. Make sure you are landing squarely, feet shoulder width apart, that you are working on smooth ground, and not leaning forward. Also, make sure you are wearing shoes with great soles. Keds will just send shock-waves through your fusion. It is okay to feel muscles working, but it is not healthy to feel sharp pain on impact.

As a side note, archery is my back's miracle drug. It targets muscles I can't naturally move in daily activities any more. I went from constant dull aches to completely pain free when a friend introduced me to recurve. If you happen to have a club in the area, it might we worth looking in to.

Edited by Plink
  • Like 5

Here's a link that gives some fitness info for different ages: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/how-to-test-your-fitness-level

I didn't do the running (that will have to wait for another day), but I did all of the other tests, and it was very interesting. I was thinking that the lower body strength test sounded much easier than the other tests, and indeed for me it was. You only needed to hold it for 33 seconds to get "excellent" (in my age range), but I was able to hold it for 1:20. I guess all of those leg presses, squats, and deadlifts are paying off!

BUT, I didn't do so well on core strength and upper body strength! :lol: Just *barely* made it into the "fair" range on both of those, and I'm honestly not even sure if I was doing the push-ups correctly. I may not have been going down far enough. How close to the ground are you supposed to get? I did six of them, but they weren't very impressive ones. Lots of room for improvement there! And with the planks as well. Only held that for 1:05 and I was shaking like a leaf by the end of that time!

Thank you so much for posting this! This is a great test. I'm going to do it again in, hmm maybe three months(?), and see if I've improved.

EDIT:  I was not doing push-ups correctly.  I am not strong enough to do even one.  So there's an obvious goal to set:  be able to do one proper push-up!

Edited by Greta
  • Like 1

I think others have already answered your questions, but I just wanted to add two things:

The book Strong is really helpful.  I haven't actually used the programs that are laid out for you (maybe I should do that!) but it's been a helpful reference anyway.  But YouTube videos are also a great resource.  And the GirlsGoneStrong website and FaceBook page are also great.

You would absolutely NOT look like a dork if you took your laptop or Kindle with you.  I think that's actually a great idea!  I see lots of people using a notebook or phone app to record their reps and weight between sets, so I don't think anyone would think twice about you using tech to "assist" you with your workout.  

• Like 2

Oh, I doubt that.  I can force myself to do a mile in 12 minutes if it's ONE mile, and that's my flat-out best speed.  Longer distances than that?  Well, I run at about the same pace most people walk!  :lol:

Love the shirt!  I also like the one that says:  I Run 5 K's.  Just kidding, I drink wine.  :D

I need that one!

Thanks for the review!

P90X.
  • Like 2

Here's a link that gives some fitness info for different ages: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/how-to-test-your-fitness-level

Interesting but I'm not buying it. The average women can't do 1 push=up wth proper form, let alone 11-14 at the age of 40-49. 

• Like 4

training today for me, 3 hrs of asana practice but all pretty low key. First class was hip opening, boy was it ever! Worked on splits, not looking too bad! Second class was a restorative class, which was great except that I'm having this horrible kidney pain so i had to finally skip out of some poses at the end and take some ibuprofen. The class I taught as a slow flow working on alignment :) I've been crazy sore today, I'm really feeling it from my shoulder and upper back work, geez, even doing "superman" was killing me. We'll see how feel tomorrow, it might be a rest day after this busy weekend or it might be a Floor workout day if I'm feeling especially spunky.

• Like 1

I worked out strong over Christmas when my dd18 was home from college.  We worked out some days twice a day and she really got me out of my comfort zone (slow jogging) to do some classes.  As she was heading back to school I set a goal to stick with 4 days a week of classes, and so far I've been able to keep that up!  Last week I went to a boxing class twice and to a zumba/step/boot camp class twice.  Before Christmas, I had basically not exercised in months.  Those first few weeks I was soooo sore, but I'm feeling so much stronger and have much less soreness!

This week I plan to keep up my pattern: Mon/Weds boxing, Tues/Thurs zumba.  I'm adding in a little stretching twice a day, and I want to get outside and do something active on Friday and Saturday.  

I will do my best to check in here daily!  Thanks for the accountability!!

ps - I'm 40 and I can do 3 sets of 15 really good push ups.  I want to work my way up to 30 in a row without stopping.  

pps - where I really need the accountability is with my eating.  I have been slacking off and seriously need to clean up my eating. Monday = No sugar day 1

Interesting but I'm not buying it. The average women can't do 1 push=up wth proper form, let alone 11-14 at the age of 40-49.

I thought that the push-ups seemed way out of proportion! But then again, I know that I'm weak and scrawny in my upper body, so I thought maybe it was just me.

By the way, what is proper form? I really don't know how low you're supposed to go.

• Like 1

I'll join in...

I feel cheated because during the summer, I pounded water and walked 15 to 18,000 steps each day.  I cut back drastically on what I ate.  I lost 28 pounds.  Now I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my lovely reward for losing weight.  :confused1:

I don't want to lose pounds now, but would rather be a size.  My goal is to walk at least  12,000 steps a day, and try yoga.  I have the new Tai Cheng workout, but have yet to use it.  I'd also like to start back up with water aerobics, but the instructor has changed, as have the times of the classes.  

I'm in for goal setting and supporting others!  

Edited by readinmom
  • Like 2

I'll join in...

I feel cheated because during the summer, I pounded water and walked 15 to 18,000 steps each day. I cut back drastically on what I ate. I lost 28 pounds. Now I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my lovely reward for losing weight. :confused1:

I don't want to lose pounds now, but would rather be a size. My goal is to walk at least 12,000 steps a day, and try yoga. I have the new Tai Cheng workout, but have yet to use it. I'd also like to start back up with water aerobics, but the instructor has changed, as have the times of the classes.

I LOVE TAI CHENG!
  • Like 1

I thought that the push-ups seemed way out of proportion! But then again, I know that I'm weak and scrawny in my upper body, so I thought maybe it was just me.

By the way, what is proper form? I really don't know how low you're supposed to go.

Chest to the ground, there is differing opinion on arm placement. Here is an Al Kavaldo video (he is a bodyweight exercise expert)

I love Gold Medal Bodies too, they advocate arms in only, which is what I do. I am not training push-ups for volume these days however, I do them in yoga class(aka chaturangas and generally do them from my knees, I over did it year before last as I mentioned and injured myself and have reinjured myself a couple of times so I'm going very slow, paying much more attention to my form then how many I am doing. I'm workig on GMB's Floor 1 program now with an eye towards Integral Strength when I'm done to build my push up and pull up skills, right now i'm working on the base of that with core and shoulder stability work.

I'll join in...

I feel cheated because during the summer, I pounded water and walked 15 to 18,000 steps each day.  I cut back drastically on what I ate.  I lost 28 pounds.  Now I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my lovely reward for losing weight.  :confused1:

I don't want to lose pounds now, but would rather be a size.  My goal is to walk at least  12,000 steps a day, and try yoga.  I have the new Tai Cheng workout, but have yet to use it.  I'd also like to start back up with water aerobics, but the instructor has changed, as have the times of the classes.  

That really stinks :( LIfe isn't fair :(

Ok ....the goals

1. Stick to No S

2. Yoga x2 cardio x3

3. Meditate every day, even if only a couple minutes.

Similar here :)

1. Paleo Auto-Immune diet- tweaked for what works for me- keeping to pot & sweet pot for starch 80% of the time-- sometme I have some gf grains but try to avoid them most of the time

2. Activity is a mix of Yoga/GMB's Floor 1/ Walking and natural movement/play

3 Meditate!!!

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I need to lose over 60 pounds. I was doing good and then gained it all back. I'm great with exercising on a regular basis and love that. I know that I need to make better food choices.

The food is my problem, too.  I love working out, but I also love to eat.  

• Like 2

At first I started out with very light hand weights that I purchased at Target - 3lbs-5 lbs. I watched videos online that demonstrated correct form for basic exercises, and I would follow along with a mirror until I felt comfortable.

I did end up hiring a PT. Actually my neighbor and one of her other friends and I split the cost for her to come twice a week for a few months. It was nice to learn new exercises, proper form, and other information about weight training in general. After we got the hang of it and the trainer's schedule changed, we went alone. I would recommend a personal trainer to anyone just starting out. I did eventually move up to higher weights and started using the big bars and plates, but I still use my threes and fives at least once a week.

There is a website that has a lot of exercises with video demonstrations. I think it's bodybuilding.com. There are other sites as well. I just always find what I need at the one above.

• Like 1

Any folks here have a spinal fusion for solipsism like myself? If so, what do you think of running? Is it too high impact?

ETA um, that's scoliosis up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter has scoliosis and was told running is okay as long as she isn't in pain. Once the pain starts, she starts working on strengthening her core, and that seems to help a lot. I wish she would continuously do core exercises, but she hates them and only does them as needed.

Then I need to make a correction:  I can do precisely zero push-ups.   :mad:

Thank you for the videos!  

You are welcome! I should say I think it best to go slow and steady with progressing to full push-ups, shoulders are easy to injure and the older you get the more that is the case. I aim to only bring my triceps parallel to the floor, right alongside my body if that makes sense. I think it best only go to the point that you can keep good form and push yourself back up, even if that is just one inch. I also have a tendency to "wing" my shoulders so I have been using the cue to puff it up between my shoulder blades(you don't want a big depression between your shoulder blades while doing a pushup), which feels very odd at first but has been highly effective at making progress past some of my stuck points. There is of course the option to start with the wall and after that an elevated step.

I shambled 2.5 km around the neighborhood in the sunshine, feeling pretty good, and have regained three pounds in the last 48 hours. I declare stomach bug gone. How fit I feel just by virtue of that!

Yipee!

Edited by soror
  • Like 1