Menu

Okay, I need any and all suggestions

Liz CA

I need a physical type of sunbarrier for my inside windshield. I frequently drive and especially during the time the sun sets and the sun makes my eyes watery and even squinting does not help much.

The little square sun shade that is already installed in the upper middle part of the windshield is not nearly enough.

Is there something that I can attach in a contact paper - like fashion to the inside windshield that will provide me with more visibility?

Dh doubted that any such thing is legal but said he has done no research yet.

I might not want to risk it though

From DMV California

"Do not block your view by putting signs or other objects on the front windshield or the back side windows. Do not hang objects on the mirror. Windshield/window stickers, etc., are permitted in these locations only:

A seven-inch square on either the passenger’s side windshield lower corner or the lower corner of the rear window

A five-inch square on the lower corner of the driver’s side window.

The side windows behind the driver.

A five-inch square located in the center uppermost portion of your windshield for an electronic toll payment device." https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/addl_drv_rules

• Like 1

Have you tried polarized sunglasses?  Even if you don't like them for the tint, they help to combat the glare created from the light bouncing horizontally of the hood of the car.  It is important to make sure they are polarized, as regular sunglasses don't have the same effect.

• Like 4

Sunglasses haven't helped?

I have run of the mill but well-fitting shades and they help a bit but even with those, it's glaring.

Have you tried polarized sunglasses?  Even if you don't like them for the tint, they help to combat the glare created from the light bouncing horizontally of the hood of the car.  It is important to make sure they are polarized, as regular sunglasses don't have the same effect.

Never heard of polarized shades. Need to research. Thank you!

Around these parts, you'd be obstructing the driver's view, and the tickets abound!

This is what dh suspected.

• Like 1

Never heard of polarized shades. Need to research.

The optical shops that take my VSP insurance has Oakley and Ray Ban polarized shades. My VSP covers the cost of a pair of sunglasses or a pair of reading glasses so I could just alternate what I get yearly. I get almost as bad a glare sitting at the front passenger side.

Oakley http://www.oakley.com/en/womens/sunglasses/polarized-sunglasses/category/w0202

Ray-Ban http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/polarized/clv

• Like 1

They are incredibly ugly but you can get "fisherman's" sunglasses that have a lense on the side of the eye too. They really help block light coming from any direction. You must get polarized lenses. You can check if sunglasses are actually polarized by turning two pairs of the same model opposite each other, held up against some light. There should be a point where the light is completely blacked out. It is probably easier to find a web page or youtube video that explains what I am trying to say. 

• Like 1

I would spend some time on the ZenniOptical.com web site and read their different "Help" things, regarding sunglasses and the different tint colors and strengths.  I would probably NOT be    putting something onto my windshield that might result in me getting traffic tickets or impairing my visibility and that I might not be able to remove without damaging the windshield. Some kind of Sunglasses are your best solution.  If your vehicle does not have sun visors on the drivers and passengers sides, that you can deploy when they are needed, I would not install anything that is permanent.  

ETA: If, after reading the information on the ZenniOptical.com web site about sunglasses, you are still not sure about what to buy, send them an email. They will probably reply the next day (I think they are in China).  The first 2 pairs of prescription  eyeglasses we bought from them (for my wife and my DD) are *outstanding* and   we will certainly buy more eyeglasses from ZenniOptical.com in the future. The next time they order, I am going to order a pair of non-prescription glasses, that are Tinted to be used as sunglasses, for me. 

ETA: Use a Discount Code Zenni gives you or find one on RetailMeNot.com

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1