Menu

What do you do for 2:30-3:00pm "narcolepsy"?

Quill

I grew up in a nap-shaming family. Well, my dad mostly. Sleeping in, taking naps, staying up too late...it was all kind of lumped together as unsavory. Soon after we got married I inadvertently took a nap after work and then apologized to DH for falling asleep in the middle of the day. I thought it was just not something respectable people did. DH looked at me like I had three heads and couldn't figure out why on earth I thought a nap was something to apologize for.

Now that I have kids especially, if I need a 20 min rest while they are having quiet time, then I close my eyes for 20 minutes. It improves the rest of the day immensely and feels so good. No more nap-shaming!

I also do this because I can't drink coffee after about 2 p.m. or else I'm too wired to sleep at bedtime.

I hear ya. I think this was how DH grew up. Even as my MIL edged into her 80s, she would feel chastened if I walked in and "caught" her dozing. She would still be out in her garden, hoeing like mad and yet would apologize if she came inside and napped. I would always say, "when I'm 80, I'm going to nap and not be sorry." So maybe I just need to adjust my number down to 45.

• Like 4

For as long as I can remember my grandfather would come home for lunch, eat, then take a 15-20 minute nap in his "easy" chair before returning to work. Whenever I feel sleepy I think of him and then take a short nap, it really helps as long as it is a short nap.

• Like 2

I get that once in awhile and I hate it!  I have tried exercise, coffee, you name it.  Sometimes jumping jacks or something along those lines helps..  It does go away but it feels overwhelming.

I can NOT nap.   I never have.  It actually puts my body in a fight or flight mode, I don't know what day it is, what time it is, how long I slept and I panic, full on panic so naps are bad for me. 

• Like 1

My father used to have this problem, and would even fall asleep during his afternoon classes, that is, the classes *he* was teaching! Coffee didn't seem to help. He said it stopped once he made a point of eating protein at lunch. Before, he'd just have a banana and a granola bar. Once he started having something like a turkey sandwich or such, he was suddenly able to stay awake all afternoon.

• Like 1

I did give in to the nap today. I set my phone for twenty minutes. I cannot say I felt wonderfully refreshed, though. I was still dozey trying to read.

It's Sunday.  Sunday is a very respectable day to take a nap.

A friend of mine takes a nap every day and is unapologetic about it.  She is in her late 40's and is in great shape - plays tennis, lifts weights, has a really clean diet.  She even takes a pillow in her car to use if she's running errands during her siesta time.

• Like 1