Menu

How do you break down your laundry?

saffron

A bit of a strange question, I know!

If you follow the instructions on each piece of clothing you'll end up with about 10 separate categories and some with only a few items of clothing in them.

This is what I do at the moment:

• Hot Wash White or Light – the goal is to sterilize and get rid of dust-mites on towels, sheets, cleaning cloths etc. I imagine in the same way the commercial cleaners do for hotels that they service. The water in the washer we have gets so hot on this setting that steam starts coming out, so it's verging on boiling.
  • Dark Wash – on synthetic setting
  • Red Wash – on synthetic setting
  • Lights Wash – on synthetic setting

I've also decided only to buy white sheets and towels etc. as hotels tend to do, to make laundry easier. I don't buy anything that would need to be hand washed or dry cleaned more than every 6 months.

I use a natural unscented detergent, water softener (we live in a hard water area), and natural oxy-bleach powder for the whites and lights. For items that I really want to ensure items are clean I'll add an antibacterial fabric conditioner to be applied at the end of the wash.

Considering also adding a regular natural fabric conditioner. Though I've never bothered doing so before. Just seems like it might be a good idea.

What works for you?

Edited by saffron

Whites and colors. 

Whites get hot wash, with bleach.  I do put kitchen towels and washcloths in this load, even if they are not white. The bleach fades them a bit, but not fast, and neither are expensive to buy new of once a year or whatever. 

Colors get I think warm..it's the regular setting on my washer. They also get a dryer sheet in the dryer. 

everything is washed in Tide. 

Now that the baby is coming she may get her own load for a bit, with free and clear detergent just to be safe, and no dryer sheets. 

• Like 1

Whites and lights 

heavy darks like jeans

light darks like workout clothes

towels  

I was most things on warm.  I hang dry the workout clothes and other knit or nice things, I also hang dry most jeans.

The kids do their own laundry - I suggest two loads a week - a lights load and a colors/darks load. That seems to work well for the teens.  I wash all the towels.

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 1

I call it whites but we have different colors of underwear, socks, dish rags and towels. That's a hot wash with bleach.

Darks is everything else washed in cold.

Sheets are done separately simple because I wash mine and ds's together and that's a full load. That's a hot wash with bleach.

I do not buy anything that cannot be washed and dried.

Dd used to hang up large tshirts that she wore with leggings because she was afraid they would shrink. But once;she went away to school, she has no good place to hang up clothes so she dries everything. She doesn't separate clothes. Everything gets washed together in cold.

• Like 1

Wow, I had no idea it was okay (and actually better in some cases) to wash with cold water. I had to look it up: http://www.clark.com/right-water-temperature-to-wash-clothes-laundry

Well, I just wonder if there is a point to washing in hot if the washer doesn't heat the water.  Mine doesn't.  Hot water straight from the tap I don't think is hot enough to kill germs, BUT the dryer is quite hot so that's when the germs are probably mostly being killed. 

That's my reasoning anyway....

• Like 5

Well, I just wonder if there is a point to washing in hot if the washer doesn't heat the water.  Mine doesn't.  Hot water straight from the tap I don't think is hot enough to kill germs, BUT the dryer is quite hot so that's when the germs are probably mostly being killed. 

Our one only takes in cold water and heats it up to 200ºF depending on the setting. It's good for sterilizing, but there are products like bleaches or antibacterial washes you can use alternatively if you're worried about germs.

Our one only takes in cold water and heats it up to 200ºF depending on the setting. It's good for sterilizing, but there are products like bleaches or antibacterial washes you can use alternatively if you're worried about germs.

I'm not worried.  I just think that people are basically wasting their money by washing on hot if the water isn't being heated by their washer.  Are you in the US?   

• Like 4

Darks.

Lights.

sometimes a load of reds.

towels/sheets together

Laundry is done when I have enough for a load.

Exception: my DS's sweaty Judo gis cannot wait for days in the laundry room, so I often just wash a single gi, or two gis.

I don't sterilize my laundry - we have no immunocompromised family members.

Using antibacterial household chemicals contributes to the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria and is completely unnecessary.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

The detergent kills the germs just fine.

• Like 4

I'm not worried.  I just think that people are basically wasting their money by washing on hot if the water isn't being heated by their washer.  Are you in the US?   

I don't use hot to kill germs, I use it to help clean things better. Hot water makes the soap work a bit better. I use it for diapers, and for whites (which includes towels, washcloths, kitchen towels, husband's undershirts, and his white socks). 

• Like 3

I don't use hot to kill germs, I use it to help clean things better. Hot water makes the soap work a bit better. I use it for diapers, and for whites (which includes towels, washcloths, kitchen towels, husband's undershirts, and his white socks). 

Unless your water is very cold, that's not really true anymore.  The detergents they make now work fine with cold water.

• Like 3

Jeans and black towels (cold)

Colored shirts (cold)

Delicates (cold)

Sheets (cold)

Kitchen towels (bleach and hot)

Whites (bleach and hot)

Like mentioned by someone I think the hot wash is really unnecessary since the hot dryer kills germs...and the bleach.

I sort as much by fabric texture as I do by colors. And my Dh doesn't like his white t shirts/socks washed with kitchen towels because he says they smell funny to him.

So I make a lot of loads it seems.

• Like 1

General categories are: whites, heavyweight colors (like jeans and sweats), lightweight colors (mostly shirts, shorts), towels. I usually wash on warm just because it makes the (top-loading) washer fill faster. I also have a separate load for hand-wash/delicates that do fine in the gentle cycle. We don't add bleach as we're on septic. We also don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets.

• Like 1

Darks

Lights (sometimes this goes in 2 loads, depending on the amounts; if two loads are needed, I do one of lights & the other of blues/greens)

Oranges/reds/purples

Linens (sheets/towels)

Sometimes I wash on hot, sometimes warm, sometimes cold. Linens always get hot. Sometimes I run the regular cycle, sometimes the delicates cycle (quicker).

Powdered laundry detergent, usually Arm & Hammer (my favorite). No bleach, no fabric softener. Sometimes Shout stain remover if needed (rarely).

I love the Shout Color Saver sheets. I cut them in half. They are great if I happen to do smaller loads where I mix colors; I will mix colors in the washer (excluding reds).

• Like 1

adult darks - cold, regular cycle, one rinse

adult light/whites - hot, regular cycle, bleach, one rinse

towels & sheets - hot, heavy duty cycle, one rinse

kids' clothes (mixed darks/whites) - cold, regular cycle, one rinse

kitchen laundry - hot, heavy duty cycle, bleach, one rinse

diapers - cold, heavy duty cycle, one rinse PLUS hot, heavy duty cycle, double rinse

No fabric softener, everything dried on hot. Lost my wool dryer balls in the move - boo!

DS21 does his own, though not often enough.

• Like 1

Colours that I line dry - some form of gentle wash on cold

Colours that go in the dryer - cotton wash on cold

Whites/lights - cotton wash on cold.

I run our towels (white) on a hot wash every now and then (95 degrees C).  It whitens them and sterilises the washing machine.

• Like 1

No one is allowed whites or reds. Definitely not reds ever ever ever. If we have the occasional white, I consider it a short lived item. 

Bath towels

Dish towels

Sheets

Blankets 

Clothes all together. 

We had to give up on whites because DH refuses to sort colors and it wasn't worth the fight for me. I got sick of dingy shirts. Not like he does much wash, but when he did, he was ruining everything. 

• Like 2

Today, since I'm behind, I'm washing by person in warm. The person most at-risk for going commando tomorrow gets the first load and so on in order of dire need. I've already folded mine and DS's load. DHs is in the dryer. Towels are in the washer. Two loads of sheets are on deck.

Ordinarily I do whites in hot with bleach, lights in warm, and darks in cold. I do towels and sheets in warm. I will add that my panic method is much easier to put away.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

The detergent kills the germs just fine.

We have an immune-compromised family member, and I've asked multiple times about laundry. And they have never told me to do anything different than washing and drying as usual. They also DON'T recommend anti-bacterial soap for laundry or hand washing. Just a good "soapy" soap with a good handwashing technique.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 3

I'm skeptical that's going to make laundry easier. All one color, yes, but not white. Maybe navy?

I've found that it's easier for me to keep whites looking new because you can always bleach them. And you can wash them on a hot wash without them fading. Ditto towels etc.

Somehow colored towels always end up with weird faded or bleached bits. White towels are immune to this.

• Like 2

I wash dirty laundry. With soap. In water (usually cold).

Everything gets washed together...

I intentionally avoid owning anything white... socks are the exception and I'm okay with dingy socks [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad to know I am not the only one.

Disclaimer: Our cloth diapers do get washed separately on hot.

• Like 3

I seperate as:

Whites

Darks

Reds

Delicates

DH work clothes

Yup, his work clothes get their own wash load. His pants are contractor twill or jeans and they will destroy other soft clothing.

I wash sheets or towels separately. I "save up" delicates and reds if there are too few for a decent load.

DS17 washes his own and it's usually just one load because all his stuff is dark for the most part. I'm on the verge of beginning to have DS13 do his, too, for the same reason. It makes one whole load and he rarely has something that doesn't go except for some reds.

• Like 1

Whites -- usually on hot

Lights -- warm

Darks -- warm or cold

Kitchen towels -- hot

Sheets/towels -- hot

Nice towels (the lighter colored ones I got for DH and me for our new bathroom) -- warm or hot

Hand washables -- cold or warm, gentle setting

Random other stuff -- as needed, temp dependent on item

Diapers -- cold rinse, hot wash, second rinse, but I don't have any of those right now.

• Like 1

People laundry (cold water + detergent. Sheets and towels might be separate loads. I don't separate colors.)

Animal laundry (warm or hot + detergent and bleach, depending on the grossness of the load.)

Ain't nobody got time around here for complicated laundry rituals. lol. I just want it clean.

• Like 4

My categories are based more on keeping categories of clean clothes "stocked" than on what's supposed to go with what.  If I don't keep a relatively organized schedule, I wind up with sweaty socks and a favorite t-shirt breeding funk in the bottom of the basket for 6 months, and would probably forget to change the sheets for weeks on end, lol.

In a week, I'll do

jeans

colors

socks and underwear

sheets

towels

kitchen laundry

more colors

bras

household cleaning rags

pet laundry

fleece and gym clothes

and maybe another random load.  

Most things on cold.  Nasty things on sanitize.

• Like 1

I wash everything on cold, with the exception of pukey laundry from the stomach flu.  Not that the hot water necessarily does anything, but it makes me feel better.  Loads are as follows:

Monday: kid clothes (1-2 loads)

Tuesday: kids sheets and kids towels (2 loads)

Wednesday: air dry laundry and pool towels (2 loads)

Thursday: adult clothes (1-2 loads)

Friday: adult sheets and adult towels (2 loads)

Saturday: cleaning rags and kitchen towels (definitely 2 loads)

Sunday: misc and catch up

I run an extra load many days, because I have a baby, a toddler, and a preschooler; therefore, I have an abundance of unexpected messes and stains that are really better off if washed immediately. 

If I'm diligent about throwing laundry in first thing in the morning, I can fold in peace during nap time, and have everything put away when the kids get up.  Otherwise loads start piling up and Mt. Laundry is more difficult to climb.  Plus stripping the beds in the morning is motivating - must have them remade by nap time!

ETA: I never use dryer sheets, just detergent.  And lots of stain remover.

Edited by HOPE_Academy
  • Like 1

I'm not quite as cool as the "wash with soap" person, but we have three hampers:

"whites" (except those which say to wash in cold) washed in warm

"colds" (all colors, including whites that say wash in cold)

"warms" (all colors except whites)

Towels & sheets are washed in whatever it recommends on the label. Some of our mattress covers say to wash in cold, for example.

Everything dries in the dryer on the delicate setting.

• Like 1

I have a three part sorter. Colors go in one bag, whites in another, towels in the third. When the bag is full, I run a load. I really jam the clothes into the bags because when it is full like that, I know its enough to fill the washer. Sheets get washed separately.

I only wash whites on hot and with bleach when I think they need to be sanitized.

I wouldn't recommend the all white towels and sheets, either. Whites tend to be high maintenance. Plus, my whites tend to look old long before my colored items fade.

• Like 1