Menu

IKEA kitchens - your good, bad & ugly stories?

Seasider

I'm particularly interested in longevity and affect on home resale (maybe Happy will weigh in?).

What price-point house would you expect custom vs IKEA/noncustom cabinetry? (Though I suppose that would vary by region.)

Kitchen redo "If I had to do it all again, I would do xyz differently" comments also appreciated.

The only kitchen "if I had to do it again" comment I have is about ceramic tile. No dish survives ceramic tile if you drop it (well, plastic.). Plus I chose some that was pretty in the store, but it had a rough slate-like texture that was hard to clean. And took forever to dry after mopping, because of all of the tiny little puddles left in the uneven surface. Worst floor choice ever. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 3

DH put in a mostly-ikea kitchen in our tiny urban condo some years ago. It was truly adorable and durable. Ikea has GREAT hardware for their cabinets so they are very nice to use while they last. Obviously they don't last as long as custom hard wood cabinets, but they cost so little.   I don't know what to say about price point. I don't like posting actual numbers because they always shock people one way or another but you can find IKEA items in even the fanciest homes in the NY Metro area but it depends a lot on what you select and how you combine it all. 

We had bought the condo, and on the day of the walk through realized the people had taken the cabinets with them! There was no kitchen!. We knew the cabinets were old and wanted to redo the kitchen anyway, but it turned out we needed to do it immediately. Wasn't worth letting the sale fall through, so DH demolished what was left and had me a new kitchen in just two weeks. I hated leaving that kitchen behind. Someday we'll do the same thing to the kitchen in our new house. 

• Like 2

We actually won an IKEA kitchen remodel about 10 years ago and installed it into our rental house (while we still lived there, but it's been a rental for six and a half years). It's holding up very well!  It does have some bumps and marks, but nothing's falling apart.  Unfortunately (for us), it's from before they came up with their new system and did away with the old so if we ever do have something that needs to be replaced, we won't be able to use IKEA replacements for that.  We'll figure it out when the time comes. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

We lived in a rental with an IKEA kitchen and loved it. When we buy our first house, there's a good chance we will have to Reno the kitchen and we will definitely do IKEA (hopefully during their huge March-April sale). I think we will either go more traditional with their dark brown edserum line or black with laxarby. I'll try to post photos. You can see some cool IKEA makeovers that Chris Loves Julia has done (I love gray shaker cabs like in their Pittsburgh remodel but it's too modern for DH).

post-81809-0-87691800-1485573398_thumb.jpg

post-81809-0-83897000-1485573434_thumb.png

post-81809-0-87691800-1485573398_thumb.jpg

post-81809-0-83897000-1485573434_thumb.png