Menu

"Starting in the middle" HELP!

RachelReeves

Hi all!

This is our third year homeschooling and I have a 3rd grader, Kinder and 2 years old. We are currently doing an eclectic mix of curriculum and have been using MOH Book One for our history spine. I would like to switch to a primarily Classical Model next year and take off with SOTW with my then 4th and 1st graders.

I would love your recommendation on what path do I take? Should I begin next year with Ancients for the both of them and just move on from there, even though we have been studying history with MOH and it began "at the beginning"? What if we decide to become part of a Classical Conversations group around us? Will they be in the "wrong" classes?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Rachel

I don't think I'd do ancients again since you just did them for MOH 1. I'd pick up in SOTW with the time period where you left off with MOH. As for lining up with CC--if you join, put them with similar age-mates. They may end up repeating a time period or jumping ahead, but if your plan is to stick with it, they'll eventually get all of the time periods. CC does a 3-year cycle instead of 4-year like MOH and SOTW (and WTM). If you try CC and it doesn't work out, then you can decide where to pick up the next year. Your kids are young, so don't worry about being "perfect" with the cycles--they are going to get this all again. The important part at this age is to enjoy learning together.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd do ancients again since you just did them for MOH 1. I'd pick up in SOTW with the time period where you left off with MOH. As for lining up with CC--if you join, put them with similar age-mates. They may end up repeating a time period or jumping ahead, but if your plan is to stick with it, they'll eventually get all of the time periods. CC does a 3-year cycle instead of 4-year like MOH and SOTW (and WTM). If you try CC and it doesn't work out, then you can decide where to pick up the next year. Your kids are young, so don't worry about being "perfect" with the cycles--they are going to get this all again. The important part at this age is to enjoy learning together.

What she said...  :laugh:

I agree with Merry, especially about CC. Since I like nice, tidy plans though (LOL) another option is to add in the SOTW Ancients audio book now, along with MOH, so you can jump into next year with SOTW 2. But only if it would be easy to put into your week, like when you're driving or w.h.y.