Menu

Taxes do you itemized or take the standard deduction?

mommyoffive

If Itemizing your deductions exceeds the Standard Deduction, Itemize, to save some money. The only drawback I see to that, other than the additional time one needs to gather the information, is that it probably increases, slightly, the possibility of getting audited.  

• Like 1

We itemize because that is more than the standard deduction.  If personal exemptions go away and the standard deduction is increased we will use the standard deduction because it will be more than our itemized deductions (though less than our itemized + personal exemptions is currently).

Standard deduction.

When we owned a house, we always itemized.

Same. For the average person, unless they have a hefty amount of mortgage interest, it is usually more advantageous to take the standard deduction.

Looking ahead, if Trump's tax plan passes more or less as he wants it, it will be more likely that the standard deduction will be best for married homeowners (as the standard deduction for them will increase) but there may be single parent or those using head of household filing status who will go from being better off with the standard deduction to itemizing as the standard deduction for such families will drop to the single rate. So be sure to check each year depending on changes to the tax code and your situation.

FYI: If you're on the line between itemizing and taking the standard deduction, run it both ways through federal AND state before filing. That is if you are in an income tax state, and one that requires you to itemize both, not just state.

Now off to print a federal Schedule A and redo this thing...

We always itemize. In a high COL state mortgage interest will get you there.

Property tax already got my family halfway there.  

FYI: If you're on the line between itemizing and taking the standard deduction, run it both ways through federal AND state before filing. That is if you are in an income tax state, and one that requires you to itemize both, not just state.

We even itemize the tax deductible portion of vehicle license fee which is just $13 (tax deductible portion) for our old car.

If Itemizing your deductions exceeds the Standard Deduction, Itemize, to save some money. The only drawback I see to that, other than the additional time one needs to gather the information, is that it probably increases, slightly, the possibility of getting audited.  

If a family has W2 income only, the chances of being audited are low. Most audits focus on self-employed individuals. My dad never got audited until he started working for himself and then he started getting audited more often than not.

Ditto plus state income taxes.

I agree.

Turbotax tabulated the itemized deductions for me and auto-populated the state tax until I forgot the state tax counts too because I don't need to do that data entry. Our state tax amount is by itself higher than the standard deduction for filing jointly which means we would be doing itemized deductions even after our mortgage interest becomes negligible.

We always itemize. In a high COL state mortgage interest will get you there.

This is where I find our tax laws profoundly unfair.

Incentivising home ownership sounds well and good, but in very high housing cost area many, many people can never afford to buy a home. They end up paying through the nose for rent but get none of the tax advantages of ownership. Those go instead to the landlords.

People who already have more money get rewarded.

I think renters should be able to deduct the portion of their rent that goes to pay property taxes.

Edited by maize