Menu

Talent Search

LTBernard

I am wondering if I should get my son to do a Talent Search Test. I honestly know very little about the world we now find ourselves in. I grew up never having my intelligence enhanced by anything outside of of my very mediocre public school. DS is currently (age wise) 2nd grade. I am wondering what benefits he would get from talent search testing. I know it could lead to him being able to attend CTY, but if we do not plan on doing that this summer is there any other reason to have him test? Also it said I have to get an eligibility number from John Hopkins before I can sign up to have him test. If we do that and then decide against doing the camp  (there isn't one anywhere near us and with his age being only day camps it would mean a huge commitment of one or more of us going with him and hanging out while he is in camp all day) is there a problem with that?

Thanks in advance! I seriously feel I need someone to schedule our life for us most of the time.

• Like 1

You can test him, and the scores are good through 6th grade. You'd have to retest in 7th to remain eligible. Sacha is in 2nd, and just tested in the fall. It was pretty painless, except for him not knowing that / meant a fraction. Lol.

The eligibility number is for the CTY JHU SCAT test. You get the eligibility number after paying the talent search fee. There is no obligation to do a CTY online class or do their summer camp after taking the SCAT.

My kids did the SCAT as my husband was curious and we have so many prometric testing centers nearby to choose from. My kids found SCAT fun and the test was short and sweet. The only benefit we got from SCAT was obviously satisfying my husband's curiosity and also we did use the results as one of the many reasons in advocating for subject acceleration in their public charter.

My kids did enjoy the CTY online Young Readers course.

ETA: http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/arts_humanities/young_readers_series.html

Edited by Arcadia

• 3 months later...

On another thread someone was asking about DYS and a response mentioned not knowing about the inexpensive testing that he/she could have used for their child. Any one know what this inexpensive testing is? I would love to have a formal test done on my children in case we want to do certain programs, but don't want to spend more $$ than I have to.

On another thread someone was asking about DYS and a response mentioned not knowing about the inexpensive testing that he/she could have used for their child. Any one know what this inexpensive testing is? I would love to have a formal test done on my children in case we want to do certain programs, but don't want to spend more $$ than I have to.

Some of the talent search tests can be used for DYS but the SCAT is not one. It can be submitted as a supplemental data point only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk