Menu

Unabridged illustrated Alice's Adventures in Wonderland favorite?

tld

My 4th grade son listened to the first couple chapters on CD and was really into it but decided he'd rather read it himself.  And he loves illustrations, so just thought I

ask here.  We'll have to check out your recommendation though!

My 4th grade son listened to the first couple chapters on CD and was really into it but decided he'd rather read it himself.  And he loves illustrations, so just thought I

ask here.  We'll have to check out your recommendation though!

We have the version illustrated by Helen Oxenbury and her illustrated version of Through the Looking Glass.

I absolutely adore her illustrations in these books!

Link to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Alices-Adventures-Wonderland-Lewis-Carroll/dp/0763608041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485485571&sr=8-1&keywords=alice+in+wonderland+oxenbury

• Like 3

I *think*, not positive, that Robert Ingpen's are unabridged. We are getting ready to do Alice in a few weeks and will be reading that one. I big puffy heart Robert Ingpen's books.

We have the version illustrated by Helen Oxenbury and her illustrated version of Through the Looking Glass.

I absolutely adore her illustrations in these books!

Link to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Alices-Adventures-Wonderland-Lewis-Carroll/dp/0763608041/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485485571&sr=8-1&keywords=alice+in+wonderland+oxenbury

We loved these too.

I like the original Tenniel illustrations. I like annotated versions for myself, but they were too bulky for my kids. My children, when they were K-8, and I really liked this edition.  It's unabridged and has original illustrations, including four or five full color illustrations.

Edited by yvonne

I really, really like the illustrated versions by Roger Ingpen.   (Actually----ALL of his illustrated classics are great.)     They are beautiful hardcover books with nice thick pages, pretty ribbon bookmarks and BEAUTIFUL full-color art on most pages.    If you are a book collector like me, you will want these in your library.   :)

Amazon doesn't let you preview the illustrations, but if you do a google image search for "robert ingpen alice in wonderland" you can see some of the art in these books.   Again, not traditional, but he pays careful attention to the author's description of the characters when illustrating his books.   

My second favorite version is the "Puffin in Bloom" series of children's classics......ONLY because they are very colorful books and they look totally awesome on your book shelf if you want to collect the complete collection.       These books are also very high quality.   The illustrations are a little more traditional.   There aren't as many as in the Ingpen books, but they are still very nice too.    (Again, amazon doesn't let you preview the insides of these books but they are super nice.)   

I know some friends who are very into the art by Andrea D'Aquino...and she is illustrating some children's classics now including Alice in Wonderland.   I personally don't care for her art because it is SO not what I imagine when reading these books (hahaha), but again, do a google image search and decide for yourself.   :)