Menu

New Jersey Starts Baby Box Program (modeled on Finland)

umsami

I did always think it was sweet, but honestly, I kinda don't get it. Why does anyone need a baby box? Aren't you going to need a more suitable sleeping space for baby rather soon?

I thought one of the best things at one of the hosptials wher I had a baby was that they gave all mamas a CD of classical music to play for baby. It was Mozart and other lovely orchestral music. :)

• Like 3

I did always think it was sweet, but honestly, I kinda don't get it. Why does anyone need a baby box? Aren't you going to need a more suitable sleeping space for baby rather soon?

I thought one of the best things at one of the hosptials wher I had a baby was that they gave all mamas a CD of classical music to play for baby. It was Mozart and other lovely orchestral music. :)

The box comes with a mattress.  I think it's big enough for the child to sleep in until s/he can sit up....so three to four months.  It's a wonderful starter and makes sure that all babies have a safe, clean place to sleep and some basic necessities.

This article on the Finnish program goes into more details.  "I was actually surprised how well the box worked as a bed. It looked super cute next to our own bed but still used very little space in our bedroom, and most importantly our children slept very well in the box," Tiittanen, who now has three children, said in an e-mail. "Maybe the biggest advantage of the box was that we were able to comfort the baby during the night without getting up from the bed, as the box was placed on the floor next to our bed." 

• Like 3

Part of the idea is, by the time they outgrow the box they are at a lesser risk of sids, or suffocation if sleeping on a soft surface, etc. So a family that has no crib or firm mattress at least has a safe space for the baby during those early, most risky months. Also to get the box you have to go through the bit of education on sleep, baby care, etc. 

• Like 1