Menu

Have you ever stopped weighing yourself, and had positive results?

Outdoorsy Type

This year I made three goals.

#1. Train to do a trail half marathon in under 2.5 hours - I work out 4-5x a week got around an hour.

#2 Eat a healthier range of fruits/vegetables. No counting anything, I'm just trying to eat more vegetables and fewer snacks.

#3 No weighing myself. Ever if possible. I'm not going to be a slave to a number.

All this is being born from a position tired of diets and judgements alike. I'm only going to do what makes me more confident and healthy.

Is this completely radical? I'm holding onto some hope that I can train better without the emotional roller coaster of the scale. In times past I did lose weight by either cutting food groups out, or counting calories/points/carbs. I don't want that, either. I feel very post diet mentality.

I have posted about being frustrated with constant comments about food/weight around friends/family, and that is part of my rebellion. I want to be healthy, sure, but not at the expense of my emotional well being, and jolly well not because someone wants me to not look fat. 😜

Anyway, rant/inquiry over. I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this approach.

• Like 2

I think it is a great idea. I am really fed up with everyone else's ideas, even if they are consoling like "It is ok to be xyz" .. I am tired of the subtle judging of xyz that went into that statement. So I think you should go for it.

That said, it has never worked for me except for one time I had a happy surprise after a long vacation where I didn't have a scale available :) I need the scale to monitor inflammation in my body and water weight but I am not sure I am typical there. 

• Like 1

Nope. I need to weigh every week or two at a minimum or I tend to creep upward and don't correct in time to stay in my range. When I was smaller I could use clothing but now my clothing can fit about the same and I've gained ten pounds. When one has a long term weight issue there tends to be a need for more external controls than someone for the whom the internal cues are more accurate.

It's never gone well for me.  However, if you are okay with gaining weight (and it sounds like you do want to move in the direction of focusing on healthy habits/goals over weight on the scale) than I think you should try and see how it works for you.  I don't seem to have a great internal sense.  Somehow the jean thing doesn't work as well for me as for Regentrude.  We are all different.

• Like 3

It's never gone well for me. However, if you are okay with gaining weight (and it sounds like you do want to move in the direction of focusing on healthy habits/goals over weight on the scale) than I think you should try and see how it works for you. I don't seem to have a great internal sense. Somehow the jean thing doesn't work as well for me as for Regentrude. We are all different.

I'm hoping my goal for running, combined with eating healthier will work. If my running doesn't improve, change eating habits more. I'll re evaluate later this year. If I outgrow my clothes, I will also know that I'm probably not getting more fit.

• Like 2

This year I made three goals.

#1. Train to do a trail half marathon in under 2.5 hours - I work out 4-5x a week got around an hour.

#2 Eat a healthier range of fruits/vegetables. No counting anything, I'm just trying to eat more vegetables and fewer snacks.

#3 No weighing myself. Ever if possible. I'm not going to be a slave to a number.

I think your ideas are wonderful. I've done a lot of goal setting for all kinds of things including marathon running, and what seems to work better than vague goals is very specific steps that can be measured. It's easier to follow a well-defined plan, you have a better chance of reaching you goals, and it's motivating.

For goal #1: Find a 4-month plan for the half marathon that you can follow, which includes distances for every week, speeds, hill work, trail work, road work, etc.

For goal #2: Set a number and type of fruit and/or vegetable to have daily. Perhaps do some research into the nutrients of various types to help you determine how much and what kinds of veggies you want to consume.

For goal #3: Find something to measure your transforming body. It could be various body-part circumferences if you don't want to use weight, but you will need some kind of feedback on how things are going. 

I've found that it's better for me to weigh myself every morning. I just need that accountability.  A few times, I've stopped the daily weigh-in and I always end up gaining 10-15 pounds. However, different approaches work for different people, so you might do very well without weighing yourself. 

• Like 3

I'm finding I need the FOOD scale to stay on track. I totally misjudge portions when left to my own devices. I eat until I'm not hungry, but I think I really eat past the "full" point. And thus I gained several pounds in December when I wasn't tracking. But if I'm managing the input, I probably don't really need to weigh myself, but I do anyway, at least once a week.

• Like 2

I think it's a fantastic idea.  Personally, I weigh about once a week, just to be sure things aren't slipping by unnoticed, but that's what works for me.  It sounds like not weighing at all might work better for you.  I have my issues where I just can't, and it's important to recognize that.  For me, it's food tracking.  Associated with our medical insurance, we have one of those programs that awards you points for steps recorded on a pedometer, sleep tracking, and food tracking.  (More points equals more dollars in our HSA.)  I do not do the food tracking.  It makes me obsess over every single bite I put in my mouth, and I become a slave to that stupid tracker.  So I reject it completely!  

I think it's a fantastic idea.  Personally, I weigh about once a week, just to be sure things aren't slipping by unnoticed, but that's what works for me.  It sounds like not weighing at all might work better for you.  I have my issues where I just can't, and it's important to recognize that.  For me, it's food tracking.  Associated with our medical insurance, we have one of those programs that awards you points for steps recorded on a pedometer, sleep tracking, and food tracking.  (More points equals more dollars in our HSA.)  I do not do the food tracking.  It makes me obsess over every single bite I put in my mouth, and I become a slave to that stupid tracker.  So I reject it completely!  

Same with me - I weigh once a week and can't food track.  BTDT and it made me obsessive.  

• Like 1

What you describe is pretty much how we live.  Summer- I cycle and I'm quite active. Winter- it's freezing and I mainly workout at the gym 4 times a week.  I get a bit more pudgy in winter because holidays and comfort food due to cold weather. But in summer we eat lighter and more fresh and combined w more activity, the few pounds comes off. 

It's quite freeing to quit worrying about a number and instead eat well and stay active. 

Here's the thing about my numbers on a scale- I only vary a few pounds all year BUT if I stop doing HIIT or working with weights, my muscle mass declines and I end up more pudgy but pretty close to the same weight.  That change is easy to tell when I put my clothes on, so I really don't need a scale. 

• Like 1

I used to weigh myself and became rather obsessed with the number.  I am 5'9" and fairly muscular.

People used to say how thin I was when I weighed 150.  I never liked the number and one year decided to lose some weight.

I ended up at 135 and was all bones.  People thought I was anorexic.  Seriously--you could see all my ribs and tailbone.  I could not comfortably lay on the floor.

And, 135 was not even that low.  Decided the number was crap.

I quit weighing myself and don't even look when I get weighed at the doctor's office.

I go by how I look in the mirror.

• Like 1

I think your ideas are wonderful. I've done a lot of goal setting for all kinds of things including marathon running, and what seems to work better than vague goals is very specific steps that can be measured. It's easier to follow a well-defined plan, you have a better chance of reaching you goals, and it's motivating.

For goal #1: Find a 4-month plan for the half marathon that you can follow, which includes distances for every week, speeds, hill work, trail work, road work, etc.

For goal #2: Set a number and type of fruit and/or vegetable to have daily. Perhaps do some research into the nutrients of various types to help you determine how much and what kinds of veggies you want to consume.

For goal #3: Find something to measure your transforming body. It could be various body-part circumferences if you don't want to use weight, but you will need some kind of feedback on how things are going.

I would do it this way, but clearly the OP is saying she doesn't want to do this. She obviously wants to free herself from the anxiety of the numbers and measurements.

I, personally, do need to weigh myself because the creep happens if I'm not careful, especially during the winter. The Jag Pull-On jeans I'm always recommending here are very forgiving. ;)

• Like 3

I'm trying to lose some weight so after 100 years of not weighing myself I decided to do so.  However, I do it once a month.  Just helps me figure out if I'm staying on track.  I don't want to become obsessive and worried about it though.  I'm doing the best I can possibly do at changing my diet so to me that's my gauge more so than the weight.  But whatever I'm doing does seem to be working out.

Clothing is a gauge I basically use.  It's a little slower going, but yeah I figure at this point if my clothing is too big something must be happening.  I'm currently wearing my smallest jeans and they are getting baggy.

• Like 2

Do what works for you!

I wear looser pants for comfort and have IBS bloating, so if I judged how I was doing by my pants, it wouldn't work.

I weigh myself every day. I've successfully lost 20 pounds since the summer, and for me at least, it's reinforcement and a reminder. If I go to a church pot lunch and see an extra pound or two the next day even though I've learned to moderate myself, I know what I have to do.

• Like 3

Do what works for you!

I wear looser pants for comfort and have IBS bloating, so if I judged how I was doing by my pants, it wouldn't work.

I weigh myself every day. I've successfully lost 20 pounds since the summer, and for me at least, it's reinforcement and a reminder. If I go to a church pot lunch and see an extra pound or two the next day even though I've learned to moderate myself, I know what I have to do.

I wear looser pants for comfort too.  Acid reflux...GI stuff...an ulcer....  I have never worn tight pants either way.  Pants still work as a gauge.  Unless of course you are only looking to lose 5 pounds.  I do not fret about 5 pounds though. 

My smallest pants (see above they are loose) are baggy and starting to fall down.  Believe me, it works as a gauge.  Unless, again, you are only aiming to lose a very small amount.

• Like 1

I quit weighing myself about 2 years ago when I was getting dangerously close to 140 lbs.  I didn't want to see myself go over 140.  I am sure that I did, but on the other hand I think that when I stopped weighing myself, I slowed the trajectory, because I think the negative feedback was unhelpful.  I keep telling myself I'm going to get back to a point where I dare step on a scale again.  :P  I have had ups and downs due to health / not being able to exercise to deal with holiday type eating.  But I haven't had to buy new jeans, for what that's worth.  :P

• Like 1

Years ago I was borderline anorexic and way too obsessive about the daily number on the scale. I stopped weighing at all for many years but then found myself overweight and needing to lose. I eventually started weighing daily using the Happy Scale app and paying much more attention to my rolling average than to daily fluctuations. It works for me. Going by how my jeans fit doesn't work. Even though I'm super short and don't wear my clothes exceptionally loose I can still easily gain 15 pounds before noticing much tightness. That's way too much extra on my short frame.

Edited by Pawz4me

I used to weigh obsessively.  At least once a day for many years.  I recently hit a high point and just quit.  I have no idea what I weigh now but I am focusing my energy on exercising and eating healthier.  I figure I will give myself a few months to get established in my new fitness routine and eating habits before I get on the scale again.  

I used to be able to lose weight quickly when necessary but not anymore (age, hormones, years of yo-yo dieting metabolism damage?) so depending on the scale for positive feedback is defeating.  I am trying to focus on getting stronger.  I had to buy heavier hand weights the other day because my workout had gotten too easy.  I am trying to focus on those kind of victories instead of the scale.  

I hope it helps to stay away from the scale for awhile.  Weighing certainly wasn't working for my circumstance.

I am another one who weighs every day, but I must admit that on the days I do not weigh, I feel so much better. My problem, however, is that if I don't weigh, I feel free to eat a lot of food that day. Well, maybe not a lot but enough to go up 1.5 lbs. - 2 lbs. overnight. I realize that's not a lot to some people but my weight usually fluctuates normally about half a pound each day, usually less than that. I can't go by my jeans. They are already loose. I could probably gain 10 lbs. and these jeans still fit well. I don't want to gain that much. But I'll confess I wish I wasn't so concerned about my weight. I've probably got a problem, but DH doesn't say anything because I haven't shown any really bad behavior. I am not interested in losing more. I just want to stay within a one pound range and I have since 2012. . I lost over 50 lbs. and worked hard to do it. I'm really scared of gaining it back.

No, I've never been successful not weighing myself. (Edited: I quit and have gained 20 pounds) I need to weigh; I just don't. I know I've gained weight and none of my work clothes fit so I've been wearing lots of leggings and tunics the past few months. I even refuse to be weighed at the doctor's office; not because I don't care but I simply don't want to know what I weigh and have that in my official record. I did weigh myself on Sunday because I've just started using MyFitnessPal and following a new work out regimen and I'll begin to weigh myself once a month. It literally took me three days to get over the depression from seeing the number on the scale. I worked out and followed my nutrition plan all three days though so I'm moving forward and I'm happy with my progress. I'm not looking forward to regular weigh ins but I might change my mind if I actually begin losing weight. :D

When I did WW (years ago) those weigh in days were a high source of anxiety, even when I was losing. So much effort went into how much my outfit weighed, was I wearing heavy jewelry, when I had last peed...ugh.

Scales and weight are a burden for me. One I'm trying to reconcile.

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 1

I never weighed at all until 1 yr after marriage(I couldn't even tell you what I weighed before then- I can guess based on size but that is it) when I went to the dr's office for a shot for poison ivy and when they put me on the scale a number popped up that I was certain was considerably over what I weighed before. I was just oblivious, my weight had never been an issue, so even though let out my wedding dress 3x before my wedding and I had went from a size 3/4 to an 11/12 over 2 yrs time I had just thought I had maybe put on a few lbs. The catalyst for me was Depo, which was a nightmare for me.

So, at that point, I bought a scale and slowly and steadily lost weight over a year. Since then I've weighed here and there, like when losing weight after babies, which didn't just fall off for me. Now with the last pregnancy, I developed thyroid disease(and screwed up hormones), which has totally changed weight loss and maintenance. I've lost baby weight 2x but then I've had some fluctuations, it's maddening. I used to be able to maintain with general good habits but that is no longer the case. Or at least I've not made it to that point, I'll maintain for awhile then things will go wonky again, this fall I got pneumonia and it totally threw me for a tail spin, first losing weight like crazy and then packing it on. I finally stopped gaining but haven't been able to lose any I've gained since this last crash. 

I realize how lucky I was before. Not that I just could do whatever and keep my weight because I didn't I was active and ate well BUT these days that doesn't guarantee weight loss or maintenance, when the things that control your metabolism don't work right it changes the ball game. I'm still lucky b/c I'm not massively overweight but I'm certainly "thicker" than I've been in my adult life, aside from pregnancy and the Depo incident. Currently I vaccilate between just accepting it and thinking that something must still not be right.

My opinion on that point is that it depends on how your body works, some people have a propensity to lose weight and/or maintain much more easily than others for those ditching the scale can work well, for others it might not be some magic trick. But it doesn't hurt to try it for a bit and see what happens or greatly reduce the frequency- if it is causing great distress it might be good to look at changing things up.

• Like 1

I do weigh myself every morning. I just find that weighing myself in the morning helps me keep aware of it I'm creeping up in weight. If I do weigh over what I like then I just lay off the drinks that day (My weakness is coke, and other sugary drinks). I just found for me I like having a line in the sand that I will not cross. 

But your goals sound awesome for you. Good luck. 

• Like 1

. But I'll confess I wish I wasn't so concerned about my weight. I've probably got a problem, but DH doesn't say anything because I haven't shown any really bad behavior. I am not interested in losing more. I just want to stay within a one pound range and I have since 2012. . I lost over 50 lbs. and worked hard to do it. I'm really scared of gaining it back.

My story is similar.  I lost quite a bit of weight and have maintained that loss for two years, but I am terrified of gaining it back.  Thinking about weight/exercise/size/food takes up so much of my mental energy.  It's not a good way to live.  I weigh myself once a week, though.  

I would do it this way, but clearly the OP is saying she doesn't want to do this. She obviously wants to free herself from the anxiety of the numbers and measurements.

I, personally, do need to weigh myself because the creep happens if I'm not careful, especially during the winter. The Jag Pull-On jeans I'm always recommending here are very forgiving. ;)

I didn't interpret "no weighing" as meaning no measurements at all, because she's measuring the time of her half marathon and number of fruits and veggies. 

I can completely understand not wanting to use body weight as a form of measurement for numerous reasons. I don't see any benefit of eliminating all forms of measurement to try and achieve specific goals. 

Edited by wintermom

Personally, it has been catastrophic to avoid the scale. But that's because I would stop weighing myself when I didn't want to know. This has happened more than once. Now I know that about myself and I will never put the scale away.  

Have you looked into Intuitive Eating? I think your approach sounds very similar. Another thing that didn't work for me, but it might be helpful for you to read about it. Evelyn Tribole is one of the authors to look into. And one of their recommendations is to give up the scale. 

I have never owned a scale.  I saw how my mom obsessed about that number.  She would weigh and diet.  Her entire life.  I saw some of the self hate it brought her.  I decided no way.  I don't weigh myself or my kids ever.  I don't care about that number.  I DO care about a healthy lifestyle with space for treats and splurges.  So, although I can not understand how weighing can be a positive thing, it obviously seems many of you can use it in a healthy manner.

My husband's family and my family have a history of obesity.  So far, we are all a healthy size.  Not skinny by any means.  We LOVE food. I want my kids to have a healthy relationship with food that I was not modeled.  We focus on portions and eating when we are hungry(NOT bored, emotional.) And exercise.  We can use a little work in that area though.  

I know if I am living in a pattern of overeating(OR eating garbage) and/or no activity it will have a negative effect.  I don't need a scale to tell me that.  And I don't want to get into a pattern of compensating for overeating by exercising more, etc. just to keep that number in check.

So, I guess it depends how you process that number.  If it is truly a motivator then by all means, weigh as often as you need.  If you are a slave to it, stop.

• Like 2