Menu

Tips on Submitting an AP Syllabus to the College Board?

Yep, it's late in the process.  I just decided to seek College Board approval to designate two home-school courses as AP.  I had been thinking that DS would just take the AP test, but I've decided that it would be preferable to be able to designate our courses as AP.  And, yikes, the deadline is January 31 (yeah, I should have decided on this earlier).  Specifically, we're thinking of AP Statistics and AP Spanish Language and Culture, but my question is mostly about general words of wisdom from folks who have been there with submitting any syllabus for AP designation.

The content of both courses is similar to what we'd do anyhow, so we don't really have any philosophical problems with the course content needed.  There do seem to be, however, a whole lot of boxes to be sure are checked and buzzwords to include!  Even though I picked a book which is one of the quasi-approved ones for AP Statistics, the sample syllabi on the College Board website and evaluation criteria seem to indicate that a lot of specific wording needs to be included; I'm not sure if that's recent or not, since some older approved syllabi don't seem to have that level of detail.  In any case, I don't want to mess this up for some small detail.  For the statistics, I'm confident that the main text (Starnes, et al, 4th ed.) does a good job, and I'm confident in my ability to cover any of the material where needed.  I think I'm ready to send this proposed syllabus to the College Board, but I'm hoping you all will be able to provide any tips.  Please!

I'm thinking of just trying to use an existing syllabus which uses Temas for AP -- but NOT the 67 page one on the Vista Higher Learning website!  That's too much.

In advance, thank you very much!

ETA: links.

Edited by Brad S

I agree that the easiest way to be approved in a timely manner is to submit one of their sample syllabuses.

On how to get your own syllabus approved:

• I used an approved texts, so that part was easy.
  • Model the syllabus after an approved syllabus.
  • I kept everything generic - Weeks 1-3 study these topics; weeks 4-6 study these topics;
  • I specifically listed any needed requirements - have discussions, tests, labs or anything else required.
  • I listed out the requirement next to the place in the syllabus it was described.
  • I think they mostly want all the boxes checked saying you are actually teaching all of the pieces that are required.
  • Like 3

I just submitted one of the sample syllabi for approval. I think if you are using the same textbook, that would be the easiest approach given the upcoming deadline.

I'd love to do this, but for statistics, the sample syllabus uses the text 3 editions ago, and it's been heavily reorganized.  I think the newer editions are better and easier to use, and I have one, so I made one, which I think is ready to submit...though I'm wondering if there's something I should watch out for....

This thread AP Course Audit - Need Help with Process may be helpful if you haven't seen it already. Also, wanted to add one of the benefits to AP audit approval is access to additional secure practice tests that are not available in their store or online.

ETA - Here's another thread that may be helpful as well with step by step instruction on submitting the syllabus.

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 4

You should submit it ASAP as it may not pass audit the first time through.

You get 3 chances to submit so make sure if it does not pass audit the very first time to email them and ask what specifically do they want that you did not highlight.

Sometimes with math and maybe statistics, they want to see very specific examples of what you are going to do. Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you!!  You're wonderful!!! 

FYI, I did submit a syllabus for AP statistics and it was authorized about a day and a half after submission, based on Starnes, et al, 4th edition.  For AP Spanish Language and Culture, I submitted a sample syllabus, designated as using a sample syllabus, but haven't received the authorization yet after two days.

I've started talking with DS about which AP classes he'll do the following year, and we'll submit them early!  We thought he'd just do the AP tests, but I thought it might just be cleaner for college applications to be AP authorized rather than "with AP test."  Thanks again!

In reality it is far easier than it seems.  Look at the samples and create an outline.  There is no problem submitting the last day.  I have done that before, the response time is just a bit longer.

Keep in mind that one option for AP is to return your syllabus and ask for sections to be rewritten or clarified before approval is granted.  You can run that editing process after the 31st, as long as the initial submission is by the 31st.  If the edits are satisfactory then approval will be granted.

Just a quick (and maybe silly question) from 8th grade mom thinking about high school starting Fall 2017 (SY 2017-2018). Is the Jan 31st deadline for AP audits for current school year or 2017-2018 year? Thanks. Ann 

current school year. for next year, you have all the time in the world. not a silly question and great you're thinking of it now!

• Like 1

Just a quick (and maybe silly question) from 8th grade mom thinking about high school starting Fall 2017 (SY 2017-2018). Is the Jan 31st deadline for AP audits for current school year or 2017-2018 year? Thanks. Ann 

Today is the deadline for the current year.  The site is down in February, and then they start receiving submissions for the 2017-2018 school year in March.

• Like 1