Menu

WHA Class Visits - Impressions?

Did anyone else get to sit in on any of the WHA Open Campus classes this week?  Any finds?

I just got sat in on Tom Vierra's Rhetoric I class, and, wow, I was impressed by what the students were doing! I've always been a little foggy on what exactly different providers actually do in a "Rhetoric I" class, so it was helpful to actually see the class in action.

The students' assignment was to write a speech imitating Pericles's speech (not sure which one, but one to honor fallen warriors). They were to write the speech as if they were King David giving a funeral speech honoring the Israelites who had died in the battle to capture Jerusalem. The students' speeches were really well-written! They did a great job with pathos & ethos and with a few different rhetorical elements. They varied on how well they delivered their speech (via webcam), but they're working on that, too.

All in all, I left wishing that I'd seen the class before this year because it would have been a great follow on to the public speaking class my 9th grade dd took last year in 8th!  We're doing our first year of speech this year with a speech club, and this class would have been an excellent extension to it.

If you're looking to do public speaking, with some serious writing work, I think WHA's Rhetoric class would definitely fit the bill!

Anyone else see any of the classes?

• Like 3

Thanks for this review. As it turned out, I couldn't attend the session I wanted to (Algebra 1 with Reini). Which is okay, because I think the schedule will dictate which teacher I end up choosing, rather than the teacher. I'd love to hear some other visitors' impressions if anyone has anything to share...

• Like 1

I also sat in on some of the GC courses. I can definitely see why Bruce Etter and Bart Martin are so popular with the students. They really do have a gift for working with teen students on the GC material.

Didn't get to see much of it because of my own schedule, but the Modern Literature & Thought class looked very interesting, as well.

Would love to hear any thoughts anyone has about the Logic classes.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I also sat in on Rhetoric 1 and I second everything Yvonne said.  Tom Vierra's Logic 2 class was fantastic as well.  My daughter's WHA friends say it is a favorite class.  The discussions in the class were run exceptionally well.  There was hardly any delay between students speaking on mic which gave an energy to the class that is sometimes missing online.  I'm not sure the website notes that the textbook for that class is Peter Kreeft's Socratic Logic.

• Like 1

I agree with Yvonne and h2bh. I'm quite impressed with the GC teachers, and I can see DD liking these teachers, who have command and attention of the class. Isn't GC 1-3 more for logic stage? I kind of want the next level of writing above FOEW, so if those GC classes have a lower level of writing requirement, I don't think it would fit us. I would be more interested in GC1+4 but there is an age requirement with unknown written workload. Madteaparty, I've read some of your previous posts on CLRC, and based on the class description and your opinion, I feel like it's the next step for DD who is now in FOEW. But I'm also tossing around the idea of TPS English Lit 3 or Bravewriter. I guess I'm looking for passionate teachers, obviously WHA GC teachers have that, a booklist similar to CLRC's, and writing requirement that is a step up from FOEW (beginner's 5 paragraph persuasive essay).

Like Yvonne, I didn't really have an idea what a rhetoric class would be like. I'm impressed with the kids and would like this for DD in 8th grade. If I were certain that we would homeschool for high school, I would push/spread a few things out. But all these great homeschool classes is making me cut some things for other things that may not be taught in PS. I'm struggling with following DD's passion versus meeting UC requirements.

I sat in most of the classes, although for short periods of time. DD liked Spanish 4 conversation. She's the type of teacher that DD would like. I made quick decisions based on sample classes, yet they're based on just that, a sample. I'm not sure how many would be impressed with FOEW based on this week's classes.

• Like 2

Yes, I think FoEW is one of those classes where you have to trust the process and trust the teacher to guide the students--as a whole and as individuals at different levels of skill.  I had some doubts at the beginning because it was so structured and my dd balked at it, but the structure loosened up later in the year. Having been forced to find _specific_ evidence for the points she made in her analysis and to explain exactly how that evidence supported her points, my dd was able to craft good, solid essays on her own, after the strict structure was loosened up. Best of all, her approach to essays carried over to the other classes she was taking at the time (and classes she's taking now.)

So, for my dd, FoEW worked well to develop her writing. It wasn't exciting every week, but it was a worthwhile class.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 3

Sounds like a great review.

I wonder if there's a secular version of the logic classes. We are sticking to CLRC for Great Books but I was hoping DS could take a logic class before high school.

I'm leaning towards a summer logic course at WHA so that we qualify for the rhetoric course. I'm not that excited about a year long logic course.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards a summer logic course at WHA so that we qualify for the rhetoric course. I'm not that excited about a year long logic course.

The summer logic class worked well for my dd. They got through the first Nance text and half of the second. It was nice to get it done during the summer to free up the school year for other pursuits.
  • Like 1

I can't do a non- secular logic course because there would be mutiny here. A summer one sounds nice though!

Logic may be one of those few things I don't outsource and just use a great book for. Like you, I'm on the clock before brick and mortar high school.

There's a big advantage to being "on the clock before brick & mortar high school..... it forces you to stay focused on what you MOST want your student to have that he won't get in high school. 

Sometimes when you homeschool, you think you have all the time in the world.  One of my boys did Logic in 8th, but, once we hit high school, there just wasn't the same luxury of time for my other son to take it.

Dd sat in on part of Spanish 3 on Wed and was a bit intimidated by both how fast the teacher spoke and how good most of the students were.

She sat in on Spanish 4 convo today. She felt a lot more confident after seeing / hearing today's class. Maybe it was getting used to the teacher, but she's hopeful she can pass the placement test and the schedule works out for that class next year. She liked the teacher from those two short samples!

I think we're pretty set on Pre-Calc at WHA if the schedule works out, so I was only mildly disappointed they didn't have open house for the upper level math classes.

FWIW, they said at the parent meeting that they would make recordings of the open house classes available to current families. They wanted it to be mostly new families attending. I don't know how that worked out in practice or how to get access to recordings if you missed a class (time zone or other reason).

I'm glad they did the open house. Dd sat in on two other classes with a different provider last year abd it helped make up our minds then, too. (Neither of us was impressed with those teachers or classes and it saved me making an expensive mistake!)

• Like 1

Thanks for this review. As it turned out, I couldn't attend the session I wanted to (Algebra 1 with Reini). Which is okay, because I think the schedule will dictate which teacher I end up choosing, rather than the teacher. I'd love to hear some other visitors' impressions if anyone has anything to share...

I observed Reini's Algebra and thought he was excellent. The kids were very engaged, and class ran smoothly.

• Like 1

I sat in most of the classes, although for short periods of time. DD liked Spanish 4 conversation. She's the type of teacher that DD would like. I made quick decisions based on sample classes, yet they're based on just that, a sample.

Are you thinking Spanish 4 convo next year?

I sent an email to the teacher to ask about the placement test.

Are you thinking Spanish 4 convo next year?

I sent an email to the teacher to ask about the placement test.

Loosely thinking about it because DD liked it and feels like a class devoted just to speaking would be best for next year. I did suggest adding more italki next year, but she says that's not the same. Maybe having other kids around would be more fun. The teacher seems energetic and attentive. i should ask about the test too. Sigh, the process is inefficient with WHA; can't they be like TPS and just throw everything there on the site? Lange spent a lot of time emailing me last year before I proceeded. But yes, this class, TPS Spanish 4, Leven's Spanish, or Excelsior's Spanish with Lamolinara. How's that for narrowing it down!

• Like 1

Thanks to the hive, I was able to check out one class (Latin 2) and loved it!  I really want/need to observe more, though, before making a decision. I would love to watch recordings of the classes I missed...and also to let me dd observe some of them, too.  I am trying to decide between WHA, HSLDA Online Academy (I heard they are adding Chemistry for the upcoming year), Memoria Press Online Academy, and maybe even The Potter's School (although that website overwhelms me, lol).

My dd is in 9th grade now and is thinking about the field of design/engineering.  She is taking Saxon Adv. Math this year, but had a late start.  I think maybe I could have her do Pre-Calc. next year (any thoughts on this?)  She's never done math online but we both suddenly think the time is right to switch to something online for her.  She is currently doing BJ Biology with the DVD and all the labs done at a friend's house whose parents both have degrees/careers in the Bio. field (so thankful for that connection!) 

Don't want to hijack the thread, but would love to hear any thoughts on where I should go from here for her education over these next three years of high school.  Oh, and we did Classical Conversations for her middle school years, so she did study the Logic books by Nance.

Brenda

• Like 1

Okay, so I was just able to listen to the WHA Open House that they did in November and I loved what I heard.  I didn't even understand what the 'Great Conversation' was before I listened in, but now I get it.  It is History, Literature and 1/2 credit of Bible and the Great Conversation 1,4 means that newer students to Classical Education can take the 'easy ancients' from 1 and add to that the more challenging ancients from 4, all in one year to get them ramped up as a 9th or 10th grader to the program.  I'm off to recheck their website now, as I am pretty excited.

• Like 1

Okay, so I have now mapped out all 3 years at WHA and I don't even know what the prices are (can someone help me find them or give me a clue?!!!).  Please include price if we try and graduate through WHA as well.

Thanks so much for this thread and others on this topic this week.  Wow, my head is still spinning...

Brenda

• Like 1

Omma, I remember watching a sample Latin class with Mrs. Hensley back when she taught at VPSA and thinking if I had a teacher like her I would have stuck with Latin longer. My dd had Hensley for Latin 2 last year. That preview class was how she taught every class. She is consistently patient, enthusiastic and kind. This year my dd has Mrs. Coll. At first, we were sad to not have Hensley again but it turns out that Mrs. Coll is fantastic too. She is very detail oriented, personable and doesn't let anyone fall through the cracks. I hope you figure out what works for next year. I can't speak to upper level math, just thought I would share our Latin experience.

• Like 3

I sat in on quite a few classes for at least a brief time.  I was very impressed with Mrs. Jester in Honors Physics I. She hasn't been noted here. She kept moving the entire class and I was able to see how she handles experiments. She walks the students through the entire process and then, I believe, they are to do it themselves later. It seemed easy and logical for an online setting. She was personable and easy to understand. Older DD will be in her class this fall.  

Other notables: I thought Etter was wonderful. Even my dd10 said she'd take a class with him. :-) Mrs. Hensley for Latin - Wow! Fantastic. If my DD weren't finishing Latin 1 in a different book, I'd consider that class.  I saw a very little of Logic I and was impressed. Thought my DD would have understood it more than she did last year in private school.  Spanish 4 - I was very impressed with the teacher AND the students. I don't remember sounding like that in French 4 when I was in school. 

I must say though, I sat in on Pre-A and Algebra with Mr. Reini. He seemed to be very distracted by the comments the students were making as was I. He hesitated often, making the time go slowly, IMHO. It seemed to take him a long time (15-20 minutes) just to get started teaching. The students made off-the-wall comments the entire class for both. I was glad to see that he finally asked them to stop in one class but it was at the end of the class session. When he was teaching, he was easy to understand but it seemed to me that the students were not very respectful in his class. NONE of the other classes I sat in had this issue to the same extent. I attended 3 different class sessions with him to see if it was just an issue with the younger PreA students. It was not. 

• Like 1

Omma, I remember watching a sample Latin class with Mrs. Hensley back when she taught at VPSA and thinking if I had a teacher like her I would have stuck with Latin longer. My dd had Hensley for Latin 2 last year. That preview class was how she taught every class. She is consistently patient, enthusiastic and kind. This year my dd has Mrs. Coll. At first, we were sad to not have Hensley again but it turns out that Mrs. Coll is fantastic too. She is very detail oriented, personable and doesn't let anyone fall through the cracks. I hope you figure out what works for next year. I can't speak to upper level math, just thought I would share our Latin experience.

This is good to hear about Mrs. Coll as Mrs. Salmon, my dd's current Latin 1 teacher, isn't teaching Latin 2 and the class that Mrs. Coll is teaching works best for our schedule.  I didn't sit in on any of the classes so I've had zero experience with her.  

I must say though, I sat in on Pre-A and Algebra with Mr. Reini. He seemed to be very distracted by the comments the students were making as was I. He hesitated often, making the time go slowly, IMHO. It seemed to take him a long time (15-20 minutes) just to get started teaching. The students made off-the-wall comments the entire class for both. I was glad to see that he finally asked them to stop in one class but it was at the end of the class session. When he was teaching, he was easy to understand but it seemed to me that the students were not very respectful in his class. NONE of the other classes I sat in had this issue to the same extent. I attended 3 different class sessions with him to see if it was just an issue with the younger PreA students. It was not. 

This is not great to hear as my plan was to have dd take Algebra 2 with Mr. Reini and I've had no prior experience with him.  Was one of the sessions you sat in on Algebra 2 by chance?  

Edited by jjeepa

This is good to hear about Mrs. Coll as Mrs. Salmon, my dd's current Latin 1 teacher, isn't teaching Latin 2 and the class that Mrs. Coll is teaching works best for our schedule.  I didn't sit in on any of the classes so I've had zero experience with her.  

This is not great to hear as my plan was to have dd take Algebra 2 with Mr. Reini and I've had no prior experience with him.  Was one of the sessions you sat in on Algebra 2 by chance?  

No. I sat in on PreA and two sessions of Algebra. I have to say that he was very personable and I can see why kids would like him. My younger DD would love it. My older DD, who needs teaching to be quick and "to-the-point," I think would lose attention very fast. As a parent, I was a bit frustrated with the fact that it took so long for him to get started and that he didn't command the students' attention from the beginning. There were kids who just kept typing whatever popped into their minds during the entire time I was in the class. I found it distracting and know that my DD would as well (although I'm sure she'd find it entertaining). I can't say I wouldn't register my child for his class but I would probably try to see another sample class.  

I would think they'd give you access to a recording of an Algebra II class if you contact them. I would do that and then make a decision. Algebra II could be very different as the students are two-three years older. 

• Like 1

My older DD, who needs teaching to be quick and "to-the-point," I think would lose attention very fast. As a parent, I was a bit frustrated with the fact that it took so long for him to get started and that he didn't command the students' attention from the beginning. 

I would think they'd give you access to a recording of an Algebra II class if you contact them. I would do that and then make a decision. Algebra II could be very different as the students are two-three years older. 

My dd sounds a lot like your older dd  :001_smile: I think she would lose attention too.  And, I know I would have been frustrated by the lack of command from the start as well.

Good idea about requesting the recorded Algebra 2 class.  I will email them now.  Thanks!

Oh, no. This would drive me/my daughter nuts. Did anyone see Ms. Smith in action teaching a math class? I may need to request a recording of her teaching Algebra 1. I hope she has better classroom management/control.

• Like 1

My dd sounds a lot like your older dd :001_smile: I think she would lose attention too. And, I know I would have been frustrated by the lack of command from the start as well.

Good idea about requesting the recorded Algebra 2 class. I will email them now. Thanks!

....And you might get some comments here from others whose children have taken his class. I hate to turn you away based on such limited experience.

Oh, no. This would drive me/my daughter nuts. Did anyone see Ms. Smith in action teaching a math class? I may need to request a recording of her teaching Algebra 1. I hope she has better classroom management/control.

I was looking for her because she teaches geometry, which is what we need this year. Unfortunately, none of her classes were included in the open campus.

My dd is in Geometry with Leslie Smith, and we both can attest to the fact that she has great control of the class. There has been no nonsense. However, do keep in mind that the pre-algebra class itself is likely much less mature than Algebra 2 and even Algebra 1. The teacher is of course a big part of it, but class maturity also plays a factor.

• Like 3

My dd is taking Geometry with Mrs. Smith this year and she runs a tight ship, which we appreciate. My dd has learned so much and I would recommend this class. We really like the text used in this class too.  

• Like 4

....And you might get some comments here from others whose children have taken his class. I hate to turn you away based on such limited experience.

No worries!  I really liked what I saw of Mr. Reini from the recent parent's meeting.  He really came across as a warm, dedicated math teacher  :001_smile:

I just want to follow up on the poor classroom management issue.  I would expect there to be less clowning around in the chat box in an Algebra 2 class with the assumption that those kids are older....but, maybe not.  Hopefully I'll be able to view a class before making the decision.  

• Like 2

My students and I have been very happy with Mrs. Smith. They've had her for Alg 1 and Geometry. No issues whatsoever. Organized, focused, straightforward, ... Haven't seen or heard of any foolishness in the chat box. That would be really irritating for my students (and me.)

• Like 2

I will say that the section of Starlet Baker's Honors Comp that my dd is in has lots of chat box silliness. It is frustrating for me and sometimes for DD, but the class is very fun because of it. Her class section was not one that was available to be visited in the open house. I don't know if all the sections are like that or just dd's.

I will say that the section of Starlet Baker's Honors Comp that my dd is in has lots of chat box silliness. It is frustrating for me and sometimes for DD, but the class is very fun because of it. Her class section was not one that was available to be visited in the open house. I don't know if all the sections are like that or just dd's.

In my experience, chat box silliness really depends on the teacher's tone/style. It seems to be an epidemic problem for some and not an issue for others.
  • Like 1