Menu

Location, location, location

Arctic Bunny

Due to relocation for DH's job, we need to buy a house from what's available in the next month or so. We've found a house that is about 80% of the others available in the area. It's a very good neighbourhood, good schools, etc. We think it's listed lower because a ) the kitchen is long and narrow instead of square; and b ) it backs up to an apartment building. So, is it better to get a house worth less in a neighbourhood that is out of our price range otherwise?

How is the kitchen ventilation like? I had a kitchen which was long and narrow but lots of countertop space and cabinets. It opens to an enclosed laundry area which is great for air drying laundry. So I couldn't stir fry stuff if I have laundry being air dried because my over the stove exhaust hood isn't that strong.

My former kitchen's narrowness is such that the walking space is about an escalator's width.

We aren't bothered by noise that much but my husband is bothered by privacy. So I agree with planting something tall for privacy.

Edited by Arcadia

It already has mature cedars planted along the back fence. DH has pointed out that the backyard won't get much sun because of the house on the west and the apartment on the east. I've driven past the apartments for years as my dad's girlfriend lives down that road, and I've never seen anyone around. The balconies all look neat and tidy with their little tables and planters. But sitting outside at night is definitely a good idea.

The kitchen has a big window and a vent over the oven, and opens at the end to the dining room, deck, and living room. The laundry is on another lever ;) I've seen pictures of galley-style kitchens and they all look dark and cramped. This one doesn't. I definitely have to stand and move around in it, but it seems very open, for a narrow kitchen. It states it's 8' wide.

post-51283-0-74171200-1485406450_thumb.png

It already has mature cedars planted along the back fence. DH has pointed out that the backyard won't get much sun because of the house on the west and the apartment on the east. I've driven past the apartments for years as my dad's girlfriend lives down that road, and I've never seen anyone around. The balconies all look neat and tidy with their little tables and planters. But sitting outside at night is definitely a good idea.

The kitchen has a big window and a vent over the oven, and opens at the end to the dining room, deck, and living room. The laundry is on another lever ;) I've seen pictures of galley-style kitchens and they all look dark and cramped. This one doesn't. I definitely have to stand and move around in it, but it seems very open, for a narrow kitchen. It states it's 8' wide.

attachicon.gifIMG_5469.PNG

the one shown, I'd believe was 7 1/2, not 8.  maybe 8 .. .

counters are going to be 25" - so, just over 4' for both.  range is 30". 6" per side?  ok, maybe 8 feet. . . do you cook with multiple people in the kitchen?  mine is 10' wide - and it makes me nuts.  I want space.  but, counter space is good.

I would look at citydata and elsewhere for crime stats and income stats and whatever else for the apartments.  I loved living in apartments as a kid while my parents were either poor or in school or both.  Tons of kids to play with and I never sensed any danger.  My parents were pretty careful about which complexes we lived in, though.  DH doesn't like living near apartments but I think if they're not the drug-infested sort they're kind of cool - lots of built in friends.

I would look at citydata and elsewhere for crime stats and income stats and whatever else for the apartments. I loved living in apartments as a kid while my parents were either poor or in school or both. Tons of kids to play with and I never sensed any danger. My parents were pretty careful about which complexes we lived in, though. DH doesn't like living near apartments but I think if they're not the drug-infested sort they're kind of cool - lots of built in friends.

Thanks for that idea! I did a search for apartments on that street.... turns out they are condominiums that sell for about 80% of what the house is listed at! And I looked up the crime stats map... there are more traffic tickets than any other stat...
  • Like 1

the one shown, I'd believe was 7 1/2, not 8. maybe 8 .. .

counters are going to be 25" - so, just over 4' for both. range is 30". 6" per side? ok, maybe 8 feet. . . do you cook with multiple people in the kitchen? mine is 10' wide - and it makes me nuts. I want space. but, counter space is good.

I can't fit more than one person and the dog (who sits in the geographical centre of any space you're moving in) in the kitchen now. It's 10" but with our stupid portable dishwasher sitting there that you have to walk around all the time, it's like a U-shape with 2" of moving space. Can you tell that built in dishwasher is on my list?

The kitchen photo does seem bright and open. I think for one person, working in that space would be roomy enough. Add another person trying to use the microwave, grab a cup or a mug... it could get crowded quickly.

Excellent point. I was thinking of dishes at the open end, near the dishwasher and sink. Hadn't thought about the microwave, which is an over the range one