Menu

Story of Science & Resources

My dd was in tears today working through Apologia General Science. (She doesn't cry very often and works hard at her school.)   She pleaded, "Can I please watch videos, read about something, write a summary and do an experiment?" 

She is my youngest and this is the first time I have used General Science.  I have only used Apologia Chemistry and Physics. 

So, I am thinking of switching her.  She is 11 and I am thinking this might not be the best format for her.

I have the Story of Science series, and have never used them. (Always wanted to) 

Has anyone used this or recommend resources to go with it so it could be a stand alone science?  I have no problem pulling things from various areas to make one curriculum.  I thought using Aristotle Leads the Way as the spine and adding in experiments might be good. (She will be starting Ancients soon)

In logic stage, I would use it, and just add some experiments from somewhere. I would use the Usborne Encyclopedia of Science since I have it. I would read with child, read the corresponding article, do the activity. Write it up, do definitions, watch a video. Call it good. In fact this is what I always wish we were doing, but my dds always like to do science with their co-op class, so they have to do just do the textbook style Apologia that they always use. At least they do the labs there. :) 

We are using the Newton book and Quest Guide. I really like the Quest Guide for this one - we mostly verbally answer the written work together but the experiments or demonstrations help them a lot. Some of them are tough (one was studying the rate of acceleration using a toy car, ramp, taking a video and analyzing it frame by frame adm graphing the curve- they aren't all that difficult but I do find most of the demos so far to be worthwhile and not just fluff!)

We did not use the quest guide for Aristotle, just read, and there isn't one for the last book. There's an online download for five dollars on the NSTA website, but it's not nearly the same. So I don't know what we will do next year. :-(

In logic stage, I would use it, and just add some experiments from somewhere. I would use the Usborne Encyclopedia of Science since I have it. I would read with child, read the corresponding article, do the activity. Write it up, do definitions, watch a video. Call it good. In fact this is what I always wish we were doing, but my dds always like to do science with their co-op class, so they have to do just do the textbook style Apologia that they always use. At least they do the labs there. :)

We are using the Newton book and Quest Guide. I really like the Quest Guide for this one - we mostly verbally answer the written work together but the experiments or demonstrations help them a lot. Some of them are tough (one was studying the rate of acceleration using a toy car, ramp, taking a video and analyzing it frame by frame adm graphing the curve- they aren't all that difficult but I do find most of the demos so far to be worthwhile and not just fluff!)

We did not use the quest guide for Aristotle, just read, and there isn't one for the last book. There's an online download for five dollars on the NSTA website, but it's not nearly the same. So I don't know what we will do next year. :-(

Thank you.  I ordered the Student Quest Guide and not sure about the teacher guide for Aristotle Leads the Way. I think we can do the experiments without the teacher guide.  (I prefer not to spend more $) So, I am going to tie in Kingfisher with the readings.  I wish the Apologia General Science worked.  It is open and go, which I need right now. 

Today, my dd researched and wrote a couple of pages on how the dishwasher works.  (She really dislikes Apologia and this was her way to show me she doesn't need it?)

Thank you. I ordered the Student Quest Guide and not sure about the teacher guide for Aristotle Leads the Way. I think we can do the experiments without the teacher guide. (I prefer not to spend more $) So, I am going to tie in Kingfisher with the readings. I wish the Apologia General Science worked. It is open and go, which I need right now.

Today, my dd researched and wrote a couple of pages on how the dishwasher works. (She really dislikes Apologia and this was her way to show me she doesn't need it?)

Please come back and let us know what you think of the Student Guide after you've used it for a few lessons.

"Can I please watch videos, read about something, write a summary and do an experiment?"

^^ is there any reason she can't just do what she asked for?

A book such as "how to think like a scientist," a science encyclopaedia or something like those new "Everything" books and the library, and you're golden. Have her keep a science journal with experiment notes, outcomes and essays.