Menu

Writing and Rhetoric

scoutingmom

The first day of a lesson is pretty teacher intensive...there is a lot of discussion, and my daughter needs help doing the outline or annotating the text (whatever the lesson calls for). After that my daughter really only needs me for the revision near the end of the lesson. That means she can work on the lesson on her own at least three out of every five days (sometimes more since the lessons started getting pretty long in book six).

I don't think that it is too teacher intensive, but I can't compare it to any other writing program. The first day, students read a story, narrate, and then there are a few discussion questions. As Clear Creek mentioned, that is the most teacher intensive part of the week. The dictation is dropped after the first few books and is replaced with a proofreading section. Both require some teacher involvement. Sometimes, I have to step in and explain a grammar point during the writing time exercises. Outside of that, W&R is pretty self-teaching in my opinion. And of course, I read what my son writes and help him with the revision part, but that is just a part of being a teacher.