Menu

Ok you savvy mamas, I need a facebook bootcamp

redsquirrel

Long story, but I've had to do the thing I swore I would NEVER do...just goes to show, we all have a price, lol.  I've had to create a facebook page.

It's for professional reasons. I'm taking on a project and the plain truth is that I need to be on facebook and create a group page for it. It's important to me, very important, so I'm willing to SELL MY SOUL....ahem...

So, I've made a page for myself before I set up the group. I've tried to set it as privately as possible for right now. I am sending out friend requests to a few people, but I haven't posted anything.  I don't even have a picture because I don't know how to do that, lol.  I will figure it out though.

So, I have a couple questions:

Can I make people into groups of who can see what?  I figure if I am going to do this I might as well just jump in and stop being coy. My mom will LOOOOOVE being able to see pictures of my kids...but I don't want anyone outside the family to see those sorts of things.

What should I do for the group page?  It's a local organizing group around a particular issue. OTOH I need some local publicity, OTOH ...well, I don't know what the other hand is...I guess I'd like to keep some control over who can join it? Is that a thing?

Any suggestions for how to start out with a facebook page? I want to sort of ease into it and not make any huge mistakes.  I am still not happy about this, but I recognize the necessity. 

If knowing the nature of the group page would help with some of my questions, just PM me and I will let you know. Like I said, it's just a local issue, but it is sort of political II guess and I don't want to disobey board rules.

Edited by redsquirrel

You can group your friends into lists and set the privacy settings for each post to certain lists to customize who sees what.

Are you creating a page or a group for your organization? That's a difference. A page is public; you put on the page whatever information you want to put out there. It is visible to all. You can set the settings to allow guest posts or not. Look at some pages from groups that have similar goals/missions to help you decide what to put on.

A group can be public or private by invitation only; you can use that to have discussions about whatever. You can approve members.

You can also have secret groups that are invisible to search.

I am running a page (not group) for local hiking; I can pm you the name if you are interested.

Edited by regentrude

I just joined again *last night* after seven years without it, because of sheer desperation for connection over my son's diagnosis. There is literally no support community outside of a closed Facebook group and I am really struggling with isolation and despair trying to manage it alone.

I'm really upset they don't operate on their own platform but I understand that most of the world doesn't detest Facebook as much as me.

I've created several professional pages on theee but the protocols have changed too much since then, so I can't be much help on making your page look less awful. I just wanted to extend my sympathies ;)

Oh, and don't worry about "designing" the page - you don't have many design options in fb. It will look like any other page - profile pic, cover pic, you post posts. the navigation tabs on the left are standard. You can add an action button (shop, signup etc).

If you are interested in a visually appealing well designed page, I recommend creating a companion web page that is mainly static and using fb for current updates, immediate actions, anything with an expiration date. For more static content (the state of our community, the list of state parks, overview map of xyz locations) a website is better, because your posts will appear underneath one another and older stuff disappears down the feed unless you pin it.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

You can group your friends into lists and set the privacy settings for each post to certain lists to customize who sees what.

Are you creating a page or a group for your organization? That's a difference. A page is public; you put on the page whatever information you want to put out there. It is visible to all. You can set the settings to allow guest posts or not. Look at some pages from groups that have similar goals/missions to help you decide what to put on.

A group can be public or private by invitation only; you can use that to have discussions about whatever. You can approve members.

You can also have secret groups that are invisible to search.

I am running a page (not group) for local hiking; I can pm you the name if you are interested.

Ummm.... I don't know? lol

I just said group because when I talked to people here it I was given a casual 'oh, just start a group from your facebook page" But maybe I don't want a group. Maybe I want to give it it's own page...that might make more sense actually.....

Ok, I need to look into that.

I just joined again *last night* after seven years without it, because of sheer desperation for connection over my son's diagnosis. There is literally no support community outside of a closed Facebook group and I am really struggling with isolation and despair trying to manage it alone.

I'm really upset they don't operate on their own platform but I understand that most of the world doesn't detest Facebook as much as me.

I've created several professional pages on theee but the protocols have changed too much since then, so I can't be much help on making your page look less awful. I just wanted to extend my sympathies ;)

:grouphug:

You get me

and :grouphug:  again for you

Oh, and don't worry about "designing" the page - you don't have many design options in fb. It will look like any other page - profile pic, cover pic, you post posts. the navigation tabs on the left are standard. You can add an action button (shop, signup etc).

If you are interested in a visually appealing well designed page, I recommend creating a companion web page that is mainly static and using fb for current updates, immediate actions, anything with an expiration date. For more static content (the state of our community, the list of state parks, overview map of xyz locations) a website is better, because your posts will appear underneath one another and older stuff disappears down the feed unless you pin it.

That is good to know.  I would LOVE to have a much nicer looking webpage, but I suspect it is currently not worth the effort.  I am guessing that most people won't go beyond facebook.  It just looks so awful...I am surprised the company thinks it's acceptable.

Seconding making a website, even if it's just a free one like a wordpress or wix page or the like. And not worrying about how the FB page looks. I mean, choose a half decent banner image and all, but don't worry beyond that.

Social mediawise, you probably don't want to hear this, but being a personality yourself is helpful to recruiting people to like your group/issue page. I would just make some rules for yourself about what you post on your personal page, but I wouldn't try to parse all your friendship groupings and so forth. Yes, you can do that. However, you're not that interested for using FB for personal enjoyment and social connections for yourself - if you were, I'd say you should do that, but you're probably not going to be posting general political views, stuff about your kids, rants about your day, pretty pictures of food and rainbows you saw, etc. - just because you're not a "FB person." FB'ers understand (or should and if they don't they should get over themselves) that FB shows you things that don't always apply to you - like, say, a friend who has a business that's halfway across the country or a friend who is fired about a local issue that is in the county you don't live in. Don't worry too much if your aunt in another state is seeing your posts about your issue. But then be personable on there to promote your group.

• Like 1

That is good to know.  I would LOVE to have a much nicer looking webpage, but I suspect it is currently not worth the effort.  I am guessing that most people won't go beyond facebook.  It just looks so awful...I am surprised the company thinks it's acceptable.

The purpose of fb is the quick exchange of information and the establishing of connection - the layout is very "vanilla" probably because that enables a myriad of different people and organizations to worth within the format.

Creating a well designed web page is not very difficult. Find a page you like, look at the html code, see if you can modify it to suit your needs. As long as  you need only a static page, not one that requires interactive functionality like an online shop or donation handling, it's really easy.

• Like 1

Ummm.... I don't know? lol

I just said group because when I talked to people here it I was given a casual 'oh, just start a group from your facebook page" But maybe I don't want a group. Maybe I want to give it it's own page...that might make more sense actually.....

Ok, I need to look into that.

It may make sense to have both. A public fb page for the organization, and an accompanying group where you invite/approve members who then use the group to discuss issues, plan events, etc.

And to add to this, there are groups, pages, and profiles. So a normal person has a profile. I have a profile. Then a business or author or non profit can have a page. Then a group is where people can discuss things together. Groups can be public (anyone can join, anyone can read it even if they don't join), closed (people can search for the group, request to be added but what they post is private - people outside the group can't read what is going on in the group) or private/secret, which is where no one can even see that it exists if they aren't added to it directly by you. 

Your profile is in your name. It's where you would share pictures of your kids, and yes, you can edit the privacy of such posts. 

A page for the group would have public facing info you want anyone to have about the organization. 

A group would be where people in the organization can discuss things, each posting whatever they want. You can control who is in the group and if it is public, closed, or secret. 

Edited by ktgrok

Long story, but I've had to do the thing I swore I would NEVER do...just goes to show, we all have a price, lol. I've had to create a facebook page.

It's for professional reasons. I'm taking on a project and the plain truth is that I need to be on facebook and create a group page for it. It's important to me, very important, so I'm willing to SELL MY SOUL....ahem...

So, I've made a page for myself before I set up the group. I've tried to set it as privately as possible for right now. I am sending out friend requests to a few people, but I haven't posted anything. I don't even have a picture because I don't know how to do that, lol. I will figure it out though.

So, I have a couple questions:

Can I make people into groups of who can see what? I figure if I am going to do this I might as well just jump in and stop being coy. My mom will LOOOOOVE being able to see pictures of my kids...but I don't want anyone outside the family to see those sorts of things.

What should I do for the group page? It's a local organizing group around a particular issue. OTOH I need some local publicity, OTOH ...well, I don't know what the other hand is...I guess I'd like to keep some control over who can join it? Is that a thing?

Any suggestions for how to start out with a facebook page? I want to sort of ease into it and not make any huge mistakes. I am still not happy about this, but I recognize the necessity.

If knowing the nature of the group page would help with some of my questions, just PM me and I will let you know. Like I said, it's just a local issue, but it is sort of political II guess and I don't want to disobey board rules.

I'm glad you asked this stuff. I just recently sold my soul to FB for professional reasons as well. I've only been back twice since I started the page in early December because I just.don't.want.to.deal.with.it. At all! But hopefully I can learn some helpful stuff here.

I'm glad you asked this stuff. I just recently sold my soul to FB for professional reasons as well. I've only been back twice since I started the page in early December because I just.don't.want.to.deal.with.it. At all! 

Why?

If it's a cause/organization/business you are passionate about, running a fb page can be a lot of fun. Because you post about things you love. And it need not have anything to do with your private page, i.e. you don't need to post anything personal.

I run a website and fb page for local hiking. I increase viewership by sharing my posts in various fb groups that are devoted to hiking in our state. I share on my personal page, but only for my friends' enjoyment.

The pages for our local women's community center or for my friend's business are also not directly related to the personal profiles of the director or business owner, nor do they it receive publicity/traffic through her private posts - it's the other way round: people share the center page/events on their private profiles and thus generate publicity.

Edited by regentrude

Why?

If it's a cause/organization/business you are passionate about, running a fb page can be a lot of fun. Because you post about things you love. And it need not have anything to do with your private page, i.e. you don't need to post anything personal.

I run a website and fb page for local hiking. I increase viewership by sharing my posts in various fb groups that are devoted to hiking in our state. I share on my personal page, but only for my friends' enjoyment.

The pages for our local women's community center or for my friend's business are also not directly related to the personal profiles of the director or business owner, nor do they it receive publicity/traffic through her private posts - it's the other way round: people share the center page/events on their private profiles and thus generate publicity.

I actually don't run the page. I had to join FB to join two private FB groups to receive information regarding a professional conference I'm attending. Because I do not use FB in a personal capacity and will, under no circumstances use a FB app, I have to "go out of my way" to go there to get what I need, if and when I'm working at my computer.

I'm passionate about the profession, and even the conference, but I'm also a passionate FB hater. I deleted my previous FB account ca. 2010 and have not missed it at all.

Edited by fraidycat

Ok, I made a page for my thing.  I am very proud of myself, lol.  Such a lot to learn!  I made a name for the group, a mission statement, and put up a cover pic and a profile picture.  Now I guess tomorrow I need to start sharing information? 

and lol, my actual personal page is empty. I will get to that at some point

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1