Menu

Holt Biology question

I'm working on some 9th grade planning for next year, but I haven't purchased Holt Biology yet.  From the samples available on Rainbow Resource, it looks like there are 34 chapters, is that correct?  Then there are multiple sections for each chapter.  Those of you whose students have used this course, did they manage an entire chapter a week, or will I need to plan on skipping some topics?

Edited by FarmingMomma

Yes, I believe so.  My dd's class also answer selected questions in every chapter which usually equates to two typed pages every week.  The honor's distinction is given due to the additional work assigned (essays, projects, discussions) along with the normal reading assignments, labs and tests.

• Like 1

I was in your shoes last summer, as I was preparing a schedule for biology. Biology is an incredible amount of information to cover in a year. The size of the books! Sheesh! I was disbelieving, "Surely not the *whole* book...we don't need to do the *whole* book? ...Do we?"

Well, I came to the conclusion that we did need to do the whole book because I wanted my son to take the SAT II Biology test. And now that we're halfway through the school year I'm waffling on whether or not I should have him take it or not. There's just so much info to cover and the test asks for so many little detailed things. We'll have about 2 or 3 weeks at the end of the class to focus on test prep, but I'm just not sure if it's worth all the cramming at the end to take the test. I dunno.

We spend 1.5 to 2.5 hours a day on biology--5 days a week, for 34 weeks to cover our book. It's not Holt, but I've seen the Holt book and my book is the same size. Biology is a big time-suck on our day. I wish I'd outsourced it. I don't feel I'm doing a good job of wrapping his and my head around exactly what parts we need to spend our time getting down cold, and which parts aren't as important. I'm am soooo outsourcing science next year (Chemistry.).

Well, that probably wasn't helpful other than to say that if you're thinking, 'There's just no way!' I've btdt.

• Like 2

I'll just add that the blue/white Holt Biology book (the one with the polar bear?), is spot-on prep for the SAT subject test if that's on your radar.  

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I was planning on getting the one with the black cover that Rainbow Resources sells with the online access.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I was planning on getting the one with the black cover that Rainbow Resources sells with the online access.

And I don't want to be misleading and imply that other editions do not prepare for the test.  That edition just happens to be the one I used.  I'm sure the other editions are fine.  

• Like 1

I'll just add that the blue/white Holt Biology book (the one with the polar bear?), is spot-on prep for the SAT subject test if that's on your radar.  

Super awesome! I am following in your footsteps with hopes of grand SAT II testing post-polar bear Holt. :D And I know you said there's a whole section we'll need to cover ourselves... but after all the May APs, we have a few weeks until the June testing date. YAY!

• Like 2

. Biology is a big time-suck on our day. I wish I'd outsourced it. I don't feel I'm doing a good job of wrapping his and my head around exactly what parts we need to spend our time getting down cold, and which parts aren't as important. I'm am soooo outsourcing science next year (Chemistry.).

:iagree:  Same situation for us!  

• Like 1

I'll be the dissenter and say that I'm not sure an average student can cover all the chapters in a year. Or that they possibly could, but might be better served by cutting a couple and having more time for the rest. 

I base this on having seen several school syllabi that omit some chapters, and from thinking that many average students will have trouble with the sheer quantity and breadth of information. 

Another factor would be how many of the labs, simulations, and other extras one is planning to do. 

• Like 1

I'll be the dissenter and say that I'm not sure an average student can cover all the chapters in a year. Or that they possibly could, but might be better served by cutting a couple and having more time for the rest. 

I base this on having seen several school syllabi that omit some chapters, and from thinking that many average students will have trouble with the sheer quantity and breadth of information. 

Another factor would be how many of the labs, simulations, and other extras one is planning to do. 

We are planning on adding in some labs of our own (dissections, botany labs, etc). I don't mind cutting some sections or skipping some activities, but I'm not sure which to cut.  I am planning on starting Biology earlier in the year than some of the other subjects so she has plenty of time to work through it.