Menu

What to add?

Eldest is 8 age cut off would make him a second grader in the last place we lived. current location he would be third.

I have tried many things off an on but have consistently done

Reading: having him read a chapter a day to me. We finished explode the code. I started him with the first pathway readers book to introduce the chapter book format in a very easy manner. We have made it to the second grade level books. he started reading Boxcar Children books without any prompting. I have never forced independent reading, we just have books everywhere in hopes they one day get read lol

Math working through math mammoth we just started 3B. He does xtra math a few times a week.

Writing he started doing cursive. Using print to cursive from simply charlotte mason

He has a tales 2 go subscription he has stories playing all day while he plays video games, build legos, and doodles.

We go to a once a week co-op that does a history based art project (i.e. made popsicle stick flags when the topic was Betsy Ross, made little wagons for Oregon trail) A simple science lab (i.e. Mixed herbs with mortar and pestle for Lewis and Clark, split pea Braille for louis Braille) Ukele lesson. And presentations (kind of like show and tell but more tell and formal). I try to talk about the history topic before we go but it doesn't always happen. Co-op ends at the end of March and doesn't start back up till September.

And so I'm wondering should I add anything? I feel like he is ready for a little more. But at the same time he has two younger brothers age 5 and 2 and another sibling on the way not sure if I have enough brain cells to rub together to do more.

So I guess I'm looking for two categories of suggestions:

1) things I could add that he could do independently either a workbook or an app.

2) And then things that require me.

Eldest is 8 age cut off would make him a second grader in the last place we lived. current location he would be third.

I have tried many things off an on but have consistently done

Reading: having him read a chapter a day to me. We finished explode the code. I started him with the first pathway readers book to introduce the chapter book format in a very easy manner. We have made it to the second grade level books. he started reading Boxcar Children books without any prompting. I have never forced independent reading, we just have books everywhere in hopes they one day get read lol

Math working through math mammoth we just started 3B. He does xtra math a few times a week.

Writing he started doing cursive. Using print to cursive from simply charlotte mason

He has a tales 2 go subscription he has stories playing all day while he plays video games, build legos, and doodles.

We go to a once a week co-op that does a history based art project (i.e. made popsicle stick flags when the topic was Betsy Ross, made little wagons for Oregon trail) A simple science lab (i.e. Mixed herbs with mortar and pestle for Lewis and Clark, split pea Braille for louis Braille) Ukele lesson. And presentations (kind of like show and tell but more tell and formal). I try to talk about the history topic before we go but it doesn't always happen. Co-op ends at the end of March and doesn't start back up till September.

And so I'm wondering should I add anything? I feel like he is ready for a little more. But at the same time he has two younger brothers age 5 and 2 and another sibling on the way not sure if I have enough brain cells to rub together to do more.

So I guess I'm looking for two categories of suggestions:

1) things I could add that he could do independently either a workbook or an app.

2) And then things that require me.

Looks good to me for a little 8yo person. :-)

Do you read aloud to him and the others?

Spelling or copywork if you aren't doing it now. We use WWE, but it does require a teacher. 

I think you should probably add some history and science. SOTW is nice and easy. Pair it with a history encyclopedia and a cheap globe for something that will be easy to do with the littles and the baby around, or get the activity book if you're interested in doing more activities related to the text.

I don't have recommendations for quick and easy science. Maybe a nature study? Buy some science kits? Magic school bus? A science encylopedia? I recently started BFSU, and I'm in LOVE with it, it just takes a lot of time for me to prepare for it. 

Something with a foreign language, even if it's just watching videos on youtube "beginning phrases in [language]" or "[language] phrases for kids"

Possibly grammar videos, or start FLL1 (super easy because it's scripted(though, we don't do everything it recommends) with the 5yo and 8yo together. I'd have the 5yo do SOTW too, actually.

Man, just about everything I teach requires me to actually sit there and teach it.