Menu

Trying out then passing on an AAU team

TwoEdgedSword

One of our kids has tried out and made a competitive AAU team at the middle school level.

S is having second thoughts and now might not want to be on the team.

We're in agreement that while S could have a great season with this team, it's not the best fit right now. Nothing has started with practices or anything, but we need to say no thank you before things get rolling.

Is this a big deal to decline joining the team or does this happen fairly often in travel and AAU leagues?

How do we do this without hurting feelings etc.?

Thanks

Xposted Gen Discussion brd

Edited by TwoEdgedSword

To decline without hurting feelings, just tell them your circumstances have changed and staying with the team is not possible at this time.

First, I'd be really sure that the change of heart is not just being nervous about change or something "new", though. Is participation on this team something that could help with scholarships and such in the long term? I'd be very careful about "burning any bridges". Sorry, I don't know what AAU stands for.

• Like 1

To decline without hurting feelings, just tell them your circumstances have changed and staying with the team is not possible at this time.

First, I'd be really sure that the change of heart is not just being nervous about change or something "new", though. Is participation on this team something that could help with scholarships and such in the long term? I'd be very careful about "burning any bridges". Sorry, I don't know what AAU stands for.

Amateur Athletic Union.

It stands for Amateur Athletic Union. It's like travel ball or club ball for certain sports. It can greatly increase skill level, so in addition to the kid's regular school sport season, they are developing skills and playing in tournaments in the off-season. Often they get way better than the kids on the school team. And the travel teams are starting at pretty young grades now.

Kids do drop, and dropping at the beginning is best. I would first have a serious discussion with my child first. I know for my dd's sport (soccer), the high school varsity team will be filled with club players. If you want to play in high school, you better be in club. There are too many kids out there playing at a high level for a rec league player to compete. So quitting club in middle school would be making a decision to probably not play varsity in high school. For other sports it's not an issue (swimming, track, football).

• Like 2