Menu

If you teach your dc to sew...

Could you please recommend an easy pattern for a first "real" sewing project? They have done the simpler beginning projects and are ready to make a piece of clothing for themselves with a regular pattern. I'm looking for a simple skirt with elastic waist to teach them how to use a regular McCalls/Simplicity/Butterick pattern, but am having no success. If you've had success with an easy first pattern, could you please give me the number? It could be for any type of clothing, not necessarily a skirt, but it would be nice to make something they could wear in cooler weather (i.e. not shorts or a sundress).

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but we LOVE this book.

Stitches and Pins A Beginning Sewing Book for s by JoAnn Gagnon and Corrie Gagnon

Some of the projects are: Pajama top or Nightshirt, Pagama bottoms or Shorts, Mathcing purse, Reversible vest, Elastic Waist Skirt, Circle Potholder, Bound Blanket, Hostess Apron, Doll Quilt, House Postholder, Laundry Bag, Tote Bag, Bible or book cover, pillowcase.

Hope this helps! :)

I've been trying to sew clothes for the first time, and I've had success w/simple pajama pants. I've used Simplicity easy-to-sew pattern #5271, and #9499 is very similar. They include long/short sleeve shirts (haven't tried those yet), the bottoms, and a few other things.

My advice would be to let them pick something they really want, no matter how easy it is. The extra motivation will more than make up for the difficulty of the pattern.

Dd made a Halloween costume a few years ago (when she was 11 or 12), that was basically a shirt dress (with sleeves) as her first real sewing project.

In school this year (8th at a Waldorf school) they are making pants (elastic waist, no pockets). She didn't like their fabric so we got some plaid flannel that she likes well enough to wear at swim meets. (Her older brother has never worn the ones he made.)

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but we LOVE this book.

Stitches and Pins A Beginning Sewing Book for s by JoAnn Gagnon and Corrie Gagnon

Some of the projects are: Pajama top or Nightshirt, Pagama bottoms or Shorts, Mathcing purse, Reversible vest, Elastic Waist Skirt, Circle Potholder, Bound Blanket, Hostess Apron, Doll Quilt, House Postholder, Laundry Bag, Tote Bag, Bible or book cover, pillowcase.

Hope this helps! :)

This looks really wonderful. A lot of patterns there for that price! Thank you. It's going in my wishlist for the next time I get a $25 gift certificate from my Amazon Visa.

ETA: Okay, I have no restraint. I just ordered it. Thanks again.

Edited by Luann in ID

My advice would be to let them pick something they really want, no matter how easy it is. The extra motivation will more than make up for the difficulty of the pattern.

Dd made a Halloween costume a few years ago (when she was 11 or 12), that was basically a shirt dress (with sleeves) as her first real sewing project.

In school this year (8th at a Waldorf school) they are making pants (elastic waist, no pockets). She didn't like their fabric so we got some plaid flannel that she likes well enough to wear at swim meets. (Her older brother has never worn the ones he made.)

Such good advice. Thank you.

I've been trying to sew clothes for the first time, and I've had success w/simple pajama pants. I've used Simplicity easy-to-sew pattern #5271, and #9499 is very similar. They include long/short sleeve shirts (haven't tried those yet), the bottoms, and a few other things.

Thank you. I wrote those numbers down.

How about a poodle skirt for Halloween?

8yo actually saw a pattern for one at Walmart and wanted it. We don't celebrate Halloween. I could just see her wanting to wear it Sunday morning to church. And I'm so lax about Sunday wardrobes, I'd probably let her. We'd be the talk of the church. :ohmy:

If you're looking for something to teach how to lay out a pattern and construct, the easy sewing ones that are usually only $2-3 on the racks at Walmart have some that make very easy tops without zippers and a few without the set in sleeves either.

The first skirt my girls made did not use a pattern. They simply took the length of a bolt of fabric (double if you want more room), measured how long they wanted it, then did simple casing on a square piece of fabric for an elastic waist.

There is a great book with wonderful ideas but I'm having trouble remember the name. I got it from Rainbow Resource years ago, I believe, but I think I gave it away. It had patterns for aprons, pajamas, pillow case, etc.

8yo actually saw a pattern for one at Walmart and wanted it. We don't celebrate Halloween. I could just see her wanting to wear it Sunday morning to church. And I'm so lax about Sunday wardrobes, I'd probably let her. We'd be the talk of the church. :ohmy:
Heh. When I was 11, my mom actually did make me a poodle skirt (pale blue with a dove applique), and I did wear it to church. I got compliments! I'm sure people raised their eyebrows too, but so what?

I know very little about sewing ( I hope to amend that in the future) But instead about clothing items, what about totes you could take to the grocery store or pillows or pillow cases? That is both practical and would seem fairly easy. :)

Yes, that's a terrific way to start! They've already been doing those sorts of projects and want to move on to something they can wear.