Menu

Heavy Duty Spiralizer

dovrar

Hello all,

Just found out that HH and DS need to stay away from grains for awhile. Does anyone use a spiralizer with veggies in lieu of pasta? What's a good brand to buy. We're a family of 8 and I don't like to buy a kitchen gadget that isn't going to get used A LOT. Also, what are your favorite veggies to spiralize?

Thanks!

Debbie

I bought the OXO Good Grips 3 Blade Spiralizer off amazon in the beginning of January because I was starting a whole30.  I have been *very* pleased with it.  It seemed like the main differences in spiralizers were whether or not they could spiralizer harder vegetables like sweet potatoes (this one does a great job), and whether or not the suction stays on the counter, so it doesn't move around all the time (this one has a hug suction cup on the bottom, and it has worked very well).  

I have really liked spiraling zucchini to use in place of noodles.  I like the zucchini MUCH better than I liked spaghetti squash.  I think it will be a permanent change for me, honestly.  I started out trying different things, like sauteing them for a few seconds, or blanching them, but in the end, I found that just sticking them in the microwave for a few seconds to just heat them up a bit before pouring sauce on them is all they need.

We have also spiralized a bunch of sweet potatoes and made curly fries with them.  SO delicious!  My kids love spiraling apples just because it's fun, lol.  

And we're a family of 12, so I totally hear you on extra one-use kitchen gadgets taking up space, especially one like this that is larger and odd-shaped, lol.  But I have been very glad for it. It, and cauliflower rice, have made this whole30 so much easier.  

I have a Paderno spiralizer that's well-made and sturdy. We don't eat grains, so it's gotten a lot of use over the year that I've had it and it's still going strong.

There's a cookbook called The Complete Spiralizer Cookbook that has tons of ideas and recipes for all kinds of spiralized veggies. 

I actually prefer roasted spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute instead of zucchini. Zucchini is kind of a pain to deal with because of the high moisture content.

• Like 1

I have a Paderno spiralizer that's well-made and sturdy. We don't eat grains, so it's gotten a lot of use over the year that I've had it and it's still going strong.

There's a cookbook called The Complete Spiralizer Cookbook that has tons of ideas and recipes for all kinds of spiralized veggies. 

I actually prefer roasted spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute instead of zucchini. Zucchini is kind of a pain to deal with because of the high moisture content.

We have this one too.  My family prefers potato noodles.