Menu

Vent - stupid not washable bassinet stuff!

ktgrok

I was given this lovely basinet/portable sleeper/thing from a friend.71q2gi5dpUL._SY679_.jpg

She used it, and so did another friend. Wonderful. Except now that my due date is getting closer I went to take it apart to wash the linens. Um....no. The sheet can come out to be washed, and the little pad under the sheet. But all that fabric all over it? That doesn't come off!!!!!

So aside from whatever dust mites are in all that fabric and floof after being used for several children (not sure how many kids the one friend used it for), my cat has been napping in it. I was going to wash everything and then cover the whole thing with a sheet or something to keep him out. But now, the best I can do is vacuum it as well as I can. 

I'm sorry, but this is for a BABY! They spit up, vomit, etc. And it's sturdy enough it would be expected to be used for several kids, and put in storage in between. How on earth do they make it not all washable?????????

I'm seriously considering giving it back, and buying something myself. Grr. 

(oh, but that storage basket thing DOES come apart so you can wash it, thankfully. Since my puppy crawled into it, got stuck, and peed in it the first week we had him.)

That's so weird! It looks like it would come off.

Did you ask your friend if there's a trick to it or try calling the manufacturer to ask about it?

If you can't wash all of the fabric, it's an incredibly stupid design!

Just emailed the manufacturer. I'll have my husband look at it. I found how to get SOME of the fabric off, but it involves unscrewing the metal parts and actually taking the whole stand apart. The rest of it, th majority of it, is attached to the handle AND has wood and such in it. 

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our Rock and Play, and our was even from "the olden days" (aka 6 years ago) when they were not self-rocking.  I would choose a Rock and Play over that bassinet-y contraption any day.

Wendy

If the cat is already getting in the habit of sleeping in a baby's bed how are you going to stop it once the baby arrives?

Sounds like a very dangerous practice to me

Well, that's why I was washing it now, and was going to break the habit before the baby comes (expecting her in about 2 months...I usually go late). I hadn't realized he'd been in there so much until I looked at the cat hair in it. He seems to have moved on though, lately he prefers to sleep in the top bunk of the little kids' bunk bed!

(edited to add that we have always had cats and never had any dangerous happenings regarding sleep/babies/etc. My cats aren't big fans of babies and try to avoid them)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

If the cat is already getting in the habit of sleeping in a baby's bed how are you going to stop it once the baby arrives?

We had an arm's reach cosleeper (like a non-floofy bassinet) that I set up a couple of weeks before our son was born. And I knew it was going to be an instant cat bed, so I made sure I put a big receiving blanket on it so they didn't at least get hair on the sheets. I figured I would always have to do that every time the baby wasn't in there. When he was born, they never, ever slept in there with him until he was probably 8 months old, and then I caught One cat try one night, and just leave after a few minutes. Nobody tried again; there's just not enough room for a baby AND a cat in a bassinet :p

Now we sidecar a crib and only "his" cat sleeps next to him In the crib. So far, they haven't stolen his breath, scratched him in his sleep, or caused him to have a hairball, so im just letting it happen.

• Like 5

oh wow, ok, it's not just me. Just found this review. http://www.theitbaby.com/wordpress/2013/10/11/cleaning-a-first-years-5-in-1-carry-me-near-sleep-system-and-final-review/

Yeah...this isn't going to work for us. WE are a messy, dirty people, lol. Time to store it somewhere safely before I ruin it.

How disappointing! Well, at least you found out before you accidentally spilled something on it, only to discover there was no way to clean it.

Im using this stroller as a bassinet and it's been perfect. Especially post surgery because it's higher up than nearly everything I've found for slings and bassinets. Less deeper bending was very appreciated. And I can wheel it to wherever in the house or just take the bassinet part. I put a thick towel on the bottom for easy cleanups and to keep the straps from being uncomfortable bc when I'm using it as a bassinet in house, I don't strap her in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GBKjTnzTV-w

• Like 3

My cats did too. Because unused box like things attract cat naps. Once baby was born, they had zero desire to be within slobbery mouth or grasping fist range.

• Like 5

Or the noise. 😳

One of my cats and the dog lose their minds when the baby cries. The dog runs to wear she is and starts barking as though I'm too stupid to locate the crying myself. And if I don't move fast enough the cat will run back and forth between me and the baby, swiping at the back of my legs to prod me to go faster.

• Like 10

I like the stroller idea! 

And I did hear back from the company...spot cleaning only. Which is utterly ridiculous. 

Also, looking at other bassinets, so many of them say "up to 15 pounds" or something. Um, my last baby was over 10 pounds at birth!!!!  That wouldn't last very long!

• Like 3

I like the stroller idea!

And I did hear back from the company...spot cleaning only. Which is utterly ridiculous.

Also, looking at other bassinets, so many of them say "up to 15 pounds" or something. Um, my last baby was over 10 pounds at birth!!!! That wouldn't last very long!

The baby swing we have started lifting the opposite leg from whichever direction she is swinging about an inch once she hit 16lbs. At 3 mo and nearly 18lbs now. But none of my babies would have tolerated it as long as she has either. Once my babies could roll over, it was nothing but screaming to play in the floor.

• Like 1

One of my cats and the dog lose their minds when the baby cries. The dog runs to wear she is and starts barking as though I'm too stupid to locate the crying myself. And if I don't move fast enough the cat will run back and forth between me and the baby, swiping at the back of my legs to prod me to go faster.

That is hilarious. 

• Like 2

I know people love, love, love their Rock N Plays, but I would feel remiss if I didn't share that there are a number of safety concerns with them. I bought one for my last baby, 6 years ago, and then started reading about issues with them right after I got it, so only ended up putting her in it a few times, during the day while I was there. A couple links:

http://www.candokiddo.com/news/rocknplay

http://kckidsdoc.com/dear-fisher-price.html

The Rock n Play does come in a flat, bassinet version.

Yeah, between the flat head issues, and the fact that it is SO low to the ground, I'm going to skip it. I don't want something a nosey dog can stick their face into and lick a sleeping child, waking them up. 

I have a friend that has a mini arms reach cosleeper we can borrow, or I may just buy a pack and play, with the assumption we'll use it later as a play pen at least some of the time. 

This is just another example of why when I rule the world I will require all companies that make products to have their ceo or a board member personally use each product for at least a month.

Where is the ballot to vote you in? Genius.

Just an aside, I used a pack n play at nap time so my two didn't wake each other. The bonus was traveling. That child would sleep when we traveled because he was used to it!

Yeah, I'm thinking we will need the pack and play at some point no matter what, for visits to Grandma, so maybe just get it. But, it will take up more space than the cosleeper my friend has. But...no worries about getting/ruining/returning. 

I ruin things.

It's kind of a super power. 

Ask my (very frustrated by it) husband. 

Edited by ktgrok