Menu

The extremely creative child, high school and uncreative MOm

Many of you are used to me asking questions about my son, the hard working, focused bright computer guy :)

But I also have an ENFP, rainbows/bubbles/artist, socialite, extrovert 7th grader.

Does anyone have thoughts, from the perspective of an uncreative mom, about high school with these types of kiddos?

One of my big ideas was to sign her up for the more academic co-op next year.  She could use that co-op for nearly all of her high school classes and they have a good reputation.

But, I've noticed that she really likes variety.  THe idea of staying at the same co-op taking the same worldview course, with the same Science sequence (always APologia) actually doesn't excite her at all. I thought it would be the greatest idea ever because she would be challenged and would have a little tribe that she can get to know (actually this is a big tribe), and the academics are college-prep but not super hard for the most part good solid courses with plenty of homework and good teachers.

Am I right, that diferent plans, each year with some things staying the same for consistency is more likely to work?  Or do you make things simple and easy for creative types so they know what to expect?

Edited by Calming Tea

I wouldn't try to plan too far ahead--figure out one year (or semester, or month, or week...) at a time.

If the academic co-op turns out to be a good fit, great! If not, maybe consider non-academic activities to meet her social needs. Theater, choir, art club, or whatever appeals to her.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

7th grade was when my kids wanted to do everything, so it was hard to plan ahead because everything looked good to them. But there was a sort of persnickety-ness that maybe was related to them not really wanting to rush into high school stuff too fast.

My oldest was and is a social butterfly and artistic. We didn't have a single coop that met all his needs. We mixed it up with group classes when we could. As the years passed he wanted to do things with new people, he just needed more stimulation. We added mentors so he had one-on-one interaction with adults in his chosen field and added in CC classes junior year. Like Maize suggested he did a lot of extra-curriculars, with kids both inside and outside of homeschooling, and in the larger geographic area, to broaden his interactions. (He took a lot of public transportation.) He did summer programs in different parts of the country to meet new people, and he kept in touch with them. He was a fun kid because he was always eager to try most new things.

Maria 

• Like 1

I have an *entire* household of these...   :glare:  I feel like a total weirdo on these forums and what most people suggest on here would absolutely not work with my kids.  Plan out their entire high school sequence in 9th grade??  Yeah, right.  Ha!  Study one thing all year?  Why would we do that??  And I bet no one else on here has had a Homeschool Mutiny 3 weeks into the semester.   :(

Originally, I was going to let them unschool high school, but then we chickened out at the last minute.  So, last year, I put together their courses myself based on what I thought they would like.  This has actually been a pretty good year.  I would love to use a curriculum after this year, though.  It would make my life so much easier.

For the upcoming school year, I just asked them, "Tell me what courses YOU want for the school year."  And they started making a list with me.  I have a knot in my stomach thinking about how I need to put these courses together.

I give up trying to make their transcripts look like everyone else's.  They are a mess and all over the place.  For example, the 8th grader is using a college textbook and an AP textbook...but he is barely on grade level with math.  My kids are very asynchronous.  They're just starting off at community college anyway.  Hopefully it all works out in the end.

Good luck! (probably wasn't very encouraging...commiseration?)

Oh, and we do a ton of activities, too.  (not a co-op, though)  They do a lot of volunteer work, sports, Youth Group and a homeschool PE program.  They need to stay busy.

• Like 2

I'm like Evanthe for my artsy gal... Make me a list of stuff you want to learn about.

She has pretty significant learning disabilities too, so it's not like we can even just order a curriculum or sign her up for a class on what she's interested in... I have to pull stuff together at her level.

She does extracurriculars- lots of dance. Art on her own, hates art classes. 4 H, makeup for community theater events when her mentor can get her in.

Volunteering in areas she's into- tried assistive living place, but now at Childrens room in public library & loves it.

Summer camp (and dance most nights) a few weeks each year helps a lot with her social needs.

• Like 1

I Love all these stories and ideas!!!! I love the idea of her volunteering too. She loves helping at church so helping elsewhere makes sense!

Yes I asked her about the big co op that covers academics like a school and she just isn't that interested. She'd rather stay at the co op she's at and try other things too.

She really wants variety :)

• Like 1

Add my 7th grader to the list of artistic socialites! Her high school will look nothing like her sister's. She doesn't care much for variety. She likes having her same close friends and being at the center of the socialite circle. And luckily, right now, her close friends are all actually a year or two younger, so she is academically closer to where they are, since she struggles with math and writing. She does dance classes and lots of art. She is ready to try summer camp this year if she can go to the same one her best friend is going to. After that, when she moves up to the high school one, she will go to the same one her sis does, so she still won't go alone. 

She plans on working in art, so I just plan to read up on that for her high school plans and to keep looking to see what is available in the community- possibly working with working artists? She does like outside classes, but likes when we take them together. She is kind of shy to go to them herself. She would love it if our same co-op stays together for her whole school. But I don't know if that will happen. But if it does, she can keep doing whatever she can there too, do her dance, and whatever art I can find for home and outside classes. In the summer she has liked swim team. Usually she is nervous to start something, but then makes friends very easily wherever she goes and then likes it. :) 

• Like 1